red meat

Options
2»

Replies

• riderfangal
    riderfangal Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that out me in at 400 calories?!

No, that's not correct unless you beefed up (pun intended) your meatballs with a whole lot of insoluable fiber or some other non-absorbed calories.

I didn't put anything in other than about quarter cup of bread crumbs and I egg white for the pound of beef I cooked up

Many (many, many, many) of the entries in the MFP database are incorrect. It would appear you chose one of the incorrect entries.

Thanks for clearing that up. I went to bed feeling guilty (and hungry lol) because I went over by about 200 calories :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that out me in at 400 calories?!

No, that's not correct unless you beefed up (pun intended) your meatballs with a whole lot of insoluable fiber or some other non-absorbed calories.

I didn't put anything in other than about quarter cup of bread crumbs and I egg white for the pound of beef I cooked up

Many (many, many, many) of the entries in the MFP database are incorrect. It would appear you chose one of the incorrect entries.

Thanks for clearing that up. I went to bed feeling guilty (and hungry lol) because I went over by about 200 calories :)

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but your meatballs had more than 400 calories if they weighed 200 grams. Protein and non-fiber carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram.
  • riderfangal
    Options

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but your meatballs had more than 400 calories if they weighed 200 grams. Protein and non-fiber carbs have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram.

Peachy lol. Good thing I went for a 2 mile walk after supper then :)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    It looks like you chose an incorrect entry and weighed them cooked. You want to be sure to choose the non-asterisked entry that matches your meat, weigh it raw, and log the raw entry.
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options

While we're on the subject, can you help me please with finding the most accurate entries? I read a while back to try & find entries without an asterisk. I've also heard I should search USDA. Thanks so much in advance!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that put me in at 400 calories?!

You should try to use the entries without asterisks, which MFP input, not some user. They also have lots of weight options, including by oz and by 100 grams (my preference).

The format is as follows (I prefer to weigh raw, but you can also find entries if you weigh cooked--it is important to use the correct option based on state when you weigh):

Beef-ground, 70% lean, 30% fat, raw: 100 grams, 332 calories

Beef-ground, 85% lean, 15% fat, raw: 100 grams, 215 calories

Beef-ground, 90% lean, 10% fat, raw: 100 grams, 176 calories

Beef-ground, 95% lean, 5% fat, raw: 100 grams, 137 calories

Beef-ground, 95% lean, 5% fat, cooked, broiled: 100 grams, 178 calories

As you can see, it really depends on how lean it was and the state when weighed (the same amount of meat weighs less after cooking).

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Next time put this in the recipe builder. I usually add in all of the ingredients, weigh the entire bowl, and then decide how big to make each meatball, which I weigh as I roll them. I have a recipe called Italian Meatballs and just adjust quantities the next time I make them since they are always slightly different.
  • Gska17
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I have a question then is MFP accurate in telling me that lean ground hamburger has 2 calories per gram. I had three small meatballs last night (200 grams) and that put me in at 400 calories?!

You should try to use the entries without asterisks, which MFP input, not some user. They also have lots of weight options, including by oz and by 100 grams (my preference).

The format is as follows (I prefer to weigh raw, but you can also find entries if you weigh cooked--it is important to use the correct option based on state when you weigh):

As you can see, it really depends on how lean it was and the state when weighed (the same amount of meat weighs less after cooking).

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :blush: I really appreciate it. I've been unsure for months.
  • riderfangal
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

That is great. Thanks I will be printing this off for sure for future use :)
  • riderfangal
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Next time put this in the recipe builder. I usually add in all of the ingredients, weigh the entire bowl, and then decide how big to make each meatball, which I weigh as I roll them. I have a recipe called Italian Meatballs and just adjust quantities the next time I make them since they are always slightly different.

Thanks I have never tried the recipe builder option as I see a lot of people on here saying it is not very user friendly
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    IME, the old one is okay, just somewhat clunky and could (and should) be improved. The new one has never worked for me. (It gives you an option to use the old one.)

I'd use it for something like the meatballs, though--it would work well for that.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Eat your steak. I choose not to eat red meat because my stomach doesn't like it. I don't miss it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »

While we're on the subject, can you help me please with finding the most accurate entries? I read a while back to try & find entries without an asterisk. I've also heard I should search USDA. Thanks so much in advance!

USDA nutrition search link

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov//
  • Gska17
    Options
    GingerSka wrote: »

USDA nutrition search link

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov//

Gold mine! Thanks so much. :D
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I think beef, even the lean cuts, have too much fat, making them too calorie dense for me to enjoy on a regular basis. That said, you can always fit it into your calorie / macro goals.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Me love steak. Me should have been born caveman ugg!

Eat it. Steak is amazeballs. That is all. :lol:

Same here, sometimes I honestly do feel like biting a cow.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you want to eat it sure.

same for chicken, pork, fish, and any other food.