higher healthy fats and protein low carb... anyone??

Options
Looking for someone doing the same w macros....

Replies

• HeatherColey1
    HeatherColey1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am doing high protein and fats and about 50 to 80 on carb... Can anyone Advise w good opinion to this from experience or am I doing this wrong???

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If I may ask, why are you going so low on carbs? I dropped 64 lbs with eating 135-200 g of carbs/day. Carbs are not bad. They are fuel for your body. Certainly, if you eat too many carbs, you won't lose weight, but that is true for fat and protein too. You just want to be sure that you're eating at the right level.

I would eat more, especially since you are only looking to lose 10 more lbs. If you need some help, or have more questions, hit me up. I'm happy to help out.
  • p_cisneros2
    p_cisneros2 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes I am doing this too. It's too keep our bodies in ketosis so that when the little glucose frim carbs that we have for fuel goes straight to the brain. Our body is then forced into breaking down fat for energy. You are doing right. It's supposed to be like 50-150 grams of carbs a day no more. No sugar, no fruit, bread, pasta or rice. Yes to veggies, meats, and nuts. Good fat would be those high in omega-3 and some omega-6. I think too much of n6 causes inflammation. Usually found in nuts like almonds and walnuts. Fish like salmon or a fish oil supplement supplies n3. Good luck! It's not easy, but you'll get there. I've been on this diet for a week and a half and have lost 5lbs. I am also vegetarian and this isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I cook my own meals daily. Eggs, cheese, peanuts, lettuce wraps, and canned tuna are my must haves!
  • HeatherColey1
    Options
    Yes wanting to cut my fat. Keeping carbs low and eating the higher fats and proteins I'm full and satisfied all the time w no cravings. I am not cutting fruit though. I add 3 strawberries to my protein drink and or half a grapefruit.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm at 50% healthy fats, 25% protein, 25% carbs and am satisfied and doing well. I match my carbs to my protein and try to get at least 100g protein per day. Carbs come primarily from non grain sources. I would suggest taking a look at Bob Seebohar's books if you want more on the topic.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Yes wanting to cut my fat. Keeping carbs low and eating the higher fats and proteins I'm full and satisfied all the time w no cravings. I am not cutting fruit though. I add 3 strawberries to my protein drink and or half a grapefruit.

3 whole strawberries? That's about 3 g carbs. Slow down!

You want to cut fat AND carbs? Why? Typically you'll have a high fat/low carb, low fat/high carb, or the ideal moderate fat/moderate carb (hopefully all with sufficient protein intake)...there's no reason to do low carb and low fat. You're contradicting yourself by saying you want to cut fat, but then saying "higher fats" in the very next sentence, so I'm not sure you even know what your goal is here.

There's no reason to keep carbs that low. Carbs don't cause you to gain weight. Too many calories causes you to gain weight.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have my carbs set lower than what mfp sets them, but not THAT low. I have mine set at 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fat which puts me at 121g protein, 121g carbs, 46g fat. My main reason is because I want to make sure I get enough protein, and with the macros mfp sets (50% carbs) my protein was very low.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "Cut fat" above = "lose body fat," not "reduce dietary fat consumption."

My current goals are set to 40% fat / 30% each carb and protein, but most weeks run closer to 50% fat and 25% each carb and protein, with 100-150g of carb. I have an avocado every day (because adding that significantly improved my blood pressure and cholesterol), and that's enough fat that I would need to significantly restrict fat in the rest of my meals to stay at the 1/3-1/3-1/3 ratio that worked well for me pre-avocado. I set my goals based on what works for me personally in terms of feeling good, eating food I like, and having a sustainable deficit. You should pick goals that work for you, not necessarily what works for someone else.

50-80g of carbs a day is likely high enough to keep you out of ketosis, so if ketosis is what you're aiming for, get some ketostix to see if you're there.
  • cain5000
    cain5000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i am doing the keto diet—1200 calories pre day compromised of 60% healthy fats, 30% protein, 10% carbs. check out this blog : http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy and this site: http://www.ruled.me
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    cain5000 wrote: »
    i am doing the keto diet—1200 calories pre day compromised of 60% healthy fats, 30% protein, 10% carbs. check out this blog : http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy and this site: http://www.ruled.me

10% carbs - thats brutal. Like a handful of raw peas and yer DONE! LOL.

Just be careful with a diet like that. Restricting too much of any macronutrient is iffy. The "keto" craze has its drawbacks too. My biggest problem is what the hell can you eat other than strictly meat and eggs?
  • HeatherColey1
    Options
    Im just trying to aim for 50 to 100 grams on carb. Preferably higher w my fats. And high protein of around 123 grams.
  • HeatherColey1
    Options

3 whole strawberries? That's about 3 g carbs. Slow down!

You want to cut fat AND carbs? Why? Typically you'll have a high fat/low carb, low fat/high carb, or the ideal moderate fat/moderate carb (hopefully all with sufficient protein intake)...there's no reason to do low carb and low fat. You're contradicting yourself by saying you want to cut fat, but then saying "higher fats" in the very next sentence, so I'm not sure you even know what your goal is here.

There's no reason to keep carbs that low. Carbs don't cause you to gain weight. Too many calories causes you to gain weight.

• HeatherColey1
    Options
    Just reading your reply. In order to lose fat u have to eat fat. I am taking in high protein and as for carb and healthy fats, I'm trying to do a higher percentage w healthy fats and and then the rest is carb.
  • HeatherColey1
    Options
    Im just trying to aim for 50 to 100 grams on carb. Preferably higher w my fats. And high protein of around 123 grams.

And I started using he premium app w mfp and it Has soooo many errors when you're customizing macros and when u add ur exercise in.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

You'll find the main forums tend to be more misinformation than accurate information on this subject.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    cain5000 wrote: »

10% carbs - thats brutal. Like a handful of raw peas and yer DONE! LOL.

Just be careful with a diet like that. Restricting too much of any macronutrient is iffy. The "keto" craze has its drawbacks too. My biggest problem is what the hell can you eat other than strictly meat and eggs?

Avocado, tomato, onion, asparagus, spinach, mushroom, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, chocolate, almond or coconut bread, cheesecake, whipped cream, nuts, broccoli, celery, lettuce, radishes, squash, peppers, eggplant, fennel, leeks, garlic, brussels sprouts, I'd keep going, but you should get the point by now.
  • evscholl838
    evscholl838 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm at 20% carbs, and 40% fat and protein. Anyone else trying these percentages?