Nothing is happening :-(

Options

Replies

• Hisservent
    Hisservent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    this was so much easier BEFORE I had kids lol. When I got married, I was 130lbs. I gained 20lbs in the first year we were married, and I blame the birth control pill. I got on Weight Watchers and back then (10 yrs ago), it was the single points system where I was only allowed to eat a max of 18pts a day. That was almost NOTHING! lol BUT, I did lose the weight....all 20lbs in 2 months and didn't work out at all lol Now, I'm older, 32....and have 3 kids all born by c-sections (That explains my extra skin ick!)
  • Hisservent
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    What is you TDEE?

NM, I see you said that. What is your height, weight, age?

5'3", 150lbs, 32 yrs old
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If your BMR is 1450, then you probably burn 20-30% of that thru normal daily activity. Moving thru your day, chasing the kids, running errands. More if you have an on your feet job.

So lets assume
    1450 BMR
    300-450 Activity Daily (20-30% of BMR)

Then exercise would be additional, depending on what you do & how long & how intense. There are many calculators, but generally in the 140-150 pound range you're not going to burn a lot per minute. So something in the 4-6 cals per minute range. (In addition to BMR.)

So perhaps for 30-60 minutes of cardio, 120 on the low end to 360 on the high end.

Personally I'd suggest to take the 1750 BMR & Activity, and take away 250 for .5 pounds per week: eat 1500. Then unless you do something very rigorous, do not eat back exercise calories and that might account for another .5 pounds per week.

BUT without a food scale, you are guessing. Nothing wrong with trying to estimate - but if you try a program for 4-8 weeks and you're not seeing the results you think should be happening, then look for where you can improve accuracy. Common pitfalls: overestimating burn and underestimating calories in.
    Hisservent wrote: »
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?

• Hisservent
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    You don't maintain or gain from not eating enough. If you're not losing, you're eating too much -- not too little. Your body doesn't create extra weight (be it waste weight, water weight, muscle weight, or fat weight) out of nothing.

but you have to eat enough to burn the calories.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    avskk wrote: »
    You don't maintain or gain from not eating enough. If you're not losing, you're eating too much -- not too little. Your body doesn't create extra weight (be it waste weight, water weight, muscle weight, or fat weight) out of nothing.

but you have to eat enough to burn the calories.

you are eating to much start weighing ALL your solid food

Its very simple

Weight loss = eat less than you burn
    Maintenance = eat the same amount of calories as you burn
    Weight gain = eat more than you burn

You eat more calories than you think!!!!
    because you dont weigh your food.
  • Hisservent
    Options
    If your BMR is 1450, then you probably burn 20-30% of that thru normal daily activity. Moving thru your day, chasing the kids, running errands. More if you have an on your feet job.

So lets assume
    1450 BMR

Then exercise would be additional, depending on what you do & how long & how intense. There are many calculators, but generally in the 140-150 pound range you're not going to burn a lot per minute. So something in the 4-6 cals per minute range. (In addition to BMR.)

So perhaps for 30-60 minutes of cardio, 120 on the low end to 360 on the high end.

Personally I'd suggest to take the 1750 BMR & Activity, and take away 250 for .5 pounds per week: eat 1500. Then unless you do something very rigorous, do not eat back exercise calories and that might account for another .5 pounds per week.

BUT without a food scale, you are guessing. Nothing wrong with trying to estimate - but if you try a program for 4-8 weeks and you're not seeing the results you think should be happening, then look for where you can improve accuracy. Common pitfalls: overestimating burn and underestimating calories in.
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?

So, I'm NOT eating enough. I SHOULD be eating some of those calories back? 3x a week, I do 60 mins of cardio (4 mile power walk) and in that cardio at least once a week includes weight training. THen 2x a week, I do 30 mins on a manual stepper using intervals (2 mins of fast pace, 3 of slow)
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    so according to "fitness frog" your TDEE is 2243. You would subtract 10-20% from that depending on the rate you want to lose. 2243-15% for example would be 1900 cal/day. This includes the assumed moderate exercise of 3-5 days per week.

I prefer IIFYM but can't get the site to load.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

So lets assume
    1450 BMR

So, I'm NOT eating enough. I SHOULD be eating some of those calories back? 3x a week, I do 60 mins of cardio (4 mile power walk) and in that cardio at least once a week includes weight training. THen 2x a week, I do 30 mins on a manual stepper using intervals (2 mins of fast pace, 3 of slow)

As others pointed out, without weighing, you don't actually know how much you're eating. So you can't really conclude it's not enough.

ETA: I personally think 2 lb/mo is awesome for someone with a 10 lb goal. So you could just keep doing what you're doing and estimating the way you are and don't eat more or less. It's working.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    People you can calculate all you want, but OP is NOT weighing her food
    She has no idea how much calories she eats.

So advising her to eat more is not really a good idea.
  • Hisservent
    Options
    Ok, so SAY I get a scale.....I still want to know how much I should be eating!
  • Hisservent
    Options
    I NEVER used a scale and never had a problem losing until recently.
  • kami3006
    Options

I totally agree, but she still needs to know what her goals are. She had her TDEE as 3000.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    What MFP gives you here as calorie allowance and most people eat back 25 to 75% of their burned calories on top of that
  • kami3006
    Options

that's when you get one
  • BWBTrish
    Options

I totally agree, but she still needs to know what her goals are. She had her TDEE as 3000.
    she can plug in here stats here and set her goals

Its very simple, why make it so hard?

So fill in your stats/goals here
    Weigh all your food and eat around your calorie allowance
  • kami3006
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What MFP gives you here as calorie allowance and most people eat back 25 to 75% of their burned calories on top of that

^^ This.. Plug in your numbers, get a food scale, log accurately, eat back part of calories burned and you'll be set.

ETA: and make adjustments to the numbers if you need to.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

that's when you get one

QFT
  • BWBTrish
    edited May 2015
    Options

Thats because for most people when they start their deficit is bigger so result is weight loss.
    The more weight they lose the smaller their deficit became. So they are moving slowly to maintenance level.
    The more weight you lose the more accurate your logging have to be to keep losing weight and keeping that deficit.

At one point your deficit is gone you eat at maintenance level. You are not the only one who falls into this trick. Search the forum here, lots had/have the same problem and as soon as they start weighing their food they are:
    1. surprised about the amount of calories a real weighed out portion is
    2. start losing weight when they created a deficit again

• kami3006
    edited May 2015
    Options

My TDEE isn't even 3000 and I'm 6'1", 195lbs.

Thread killer :D