Nothing is happening :-(

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hisservent wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    oh all you have to show is 2lbs..and 1 inch. 1/2lb a week is a good thing.

Adjust your expectations.

Probably what you aren't doing right is logging. Do you use a food scale? log everything accurately and consistently? do you eat back exercise calories? and if so how many?

No I do not eat back those calories. I think that would be counterproductive lol

@Hisservent MFP is setup for you to eat back at least some of them. The amount of calories it gives you to lose weight is without exercise...

But do you use a food scale? log everything consistently?

If you answer no to either of the two above that can become an issue too.
  • Hisservent
    Hisservent Posts: 25 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What are you overall goals? Your profile is private so I'm not sure if you are needing to lose 20 pounds or 200.

On one hand, if you have a high # of pounds to lose I can understand you expected to see more than 2 pounds in a month. But part of the struggle is getting started, and even if you 'only' lost 2 of 200 you have made the important step of making an improvement for your health. If you keep going the reward is better than if you quit now.

On the other, if you have 20 pounds to lose, then expecting to lose a huge # per month is not realistic. There are many sites with online calculators. Use them to get an idea of what you burn in a day. From BMR to regular activity to move thru your day to exercise. From there, you eat at a deficit (eat less than you burn) to lose weight. For me, having an idea of what I burn in a day helped the whole process to make sense.

Last, there is more to gain that just pounds gone. Look for improvements in the way clothes fit, in your ability to do more and go further, and to take pride in the good things you are doing for your body.

I did see on a sight that my BMR is 1447. So with that, it looks like I need to eat over 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week. I've NEVER eaten over 2000 calories lol. Based on this quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results
    Calorie Summary
    at Current
    Weight at Goal
    Weight
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    1452 1409
    Calories Burned Through Exercise
    1612 1612
    Total Calories Burned per Day
    3064 3021
    Total Weight to Lose
    10 Lbs ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 1 Lb/Week
    2564 ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 2 Lbs/Week
    2064 ---
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    What are you overall goals? Your profile is private so I'm not sure if you are needing to lose 20 pounds or 200.

On one hand, if you have a high # of pounds to lose I can understand you expected to see more than 2 pounds in a month. But part of the struggle is getting started, and even if you 'only' lost 2 of 200 you have made the important step of making an improvement for your health. If you keep going the reward is better than if you quit now.

On the other, if you have 20 pounds to lose, then expecting to lose a huge # per month is not realistic. There are many sites with online calculators. Use them to get an idea of what you burn in a day. From BMR to regular activity to move thru your day to exercise. From there, you eat at a deficit (eat less than you burn) to lose weight. For me, having an idea of what I burn in a day helped the whole process to make sense.

Last, there is more to gain that just pounds gone. Look for improvements in the way clothes fit, in your ability to do more and go further, and to take pride in the good things you are doing for your body.

I did see on a sight that my BMR is 1447. So with that, it looks like I need to eat over 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week. I've NEVER eaten over 2000 calories lol. Based on this quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results

yah you have or you wouldn't need to be here...
  • Hisservent
    Options

yah you have or you wouldn't need to be here...

I meant since I've been using MFP.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    do you weigh your food on a scale.

if not, you probably have.
  • Hisservent
    Options

no but I measure and count everything out
  • SezxyStef
    Options

no but I measure and count everything out

you really need to get a food scale then...you will get some nasty surprises and nice ones
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I don't weigh my food at all and I have no issues with losing...Yes i'm sure that weighing would be more accurate but just because someone doesn't weight their food doesn't mean they are automatically overeating.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

I don't weigh my food at all and I have no issues with losing...Yes i'm sure that weighing would be more accurate but just because someone doesn't weight their food doesn't mean they are automatically overeating.

but if you are NOT losing, then thats the FIRST place to go
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

You have a lot more weight to lose than OP, and therefore, can have a larger margin of error. Once you get closer to goal, you may find that you'll need to weigh foods to be more accurate.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

No, it doesn't "automatically" mean that. But if they're not weighing their food and they are having issues with losing at the expected rate then inaccurate logging is probably the issue.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your expectations are off. Weight varies. Sometimes you see inches come off but not pounds. Sometimes it's the other way around. When I lost my last 5 inches the scale never moved, but quite frankly, I'd take inches over pounds any day.

Also, you need to use a scale for your food. It can make all the difference.
    https://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY
  • abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options

You have a lot more weight to lose than OP, and therefore, can have a larger margin of error. Once you get closer to goal, you may find that you'll need to weigh foods to be more accurate.

Point taken. Though despite the amount of weight i have to lose when I do estimate I usually log more than I think I've eaten to take that into account. For instance if I eat what I think to be around 6oz of chicken I'll log 8oz, etc. That way I give myself some margin for error anyway.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I will note this and see how it's going for you when you have less than 25lbs to lose.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

Calorie Summary
    at Current
    Weight at Goal
    Weight
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    1452 1409
    Calories Burned Through Exercise
    1612 1612
    Total Calories Burned per Day
    3064 3021
    Total Weight to Lose
    10 Lbs ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 1 Lb/Week
    2564 ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 2 Lbs/Week
    2064 ---

Okay, and I mean this in the most helpful way possible; there's something way off with those numbers. How are you burning 1612 calories PER DAY through exercise?

I'm lightly to moderately active, weigh more than you do, am younger, and only have a TDEE of 2300-2400. This would make your TDEE around 3064, which makes no sense if you're 150....
  • Hisservent
    Options
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Point taken. Though despite the amount of weight i have to lose when I do estimate I usually log more than I think I've eaten to take that into account. For instance if I eat what I think to be around 6oz of chicken I'll log 8oz, etc. That way I give myself some margin for error anyway.

but what if what you are eating is 10oz...which btw is 283.5 grams...

what does 6 or 8 oz of chicken look like...does it look the same as 6 or 8 oz of pork? shrimp?
  • SezxyStef
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?

That all depends on how much you want to lose and how fast...

My BMR is about the same...I eat 1800 a day and lose 1/2 lb a week in the winter...in the summer I can eat 2200 and still lose...
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options

I will note this and see how it's going for you when you have less than 25lbs to lose.

I tend not to tell people this in the forums due to the *kitten* storm that can entail: I'm 19lbs out from my goal, have never used a food scale in my life and eye ball portions a lot of the time out of laziness. I'm still losing consistently. You don't have to weigh your food, you just have to acknowledge the inconsistencies that will exist.