Options

Replies

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    do you weigh your food on a scale.

if not, you probably have.

I don't weigh my food at all and I have no issues with losing...Yes i'm sure that weighing would be more accurate but just because someone doesn't weight their food doesn't mean they are automatically overeating.

You have a lot more weight to lose than OP, and therefore, can have a larger margin of error. Once you get closer to goal, you may find that you'll need to weigh foods to be more accurate.

Point taken. Though despite the amount of weight i have to lose when I do estimate I usually log more than I think I've eaten to take that into account. For instance if I eat what I think to be around 6oz of chicken I'll log 8oz, etc. That way I give myself some margin for error anyway.

but what if what you are eating is 10oz...which btw is 283.5 grams...

what does 6 or 8 oz of chicken look like...does it look the same as 6 or 8 oz of pork? shrimp?

I mainly just use the "3oz is roughly the size of a deck of cards" thing. Again like I said I'm sure it's not super accurate but at least I can make a somewhat educated guess.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I don't weigh my food at all and I have no issues with losing...Yes i'm sure that weighing would be more accurate but just because someone doesn't weight their food doesn't mean they are automatically overeating.

I will note this and see how it's going for you when you have less than 25lbs to lose.

I tend not to tell people this in the forums due to the *kitten* storm that can entail: I'm 19lbs out from my goal, have never used a food scale in my life and eye ball portions a lot of the time out of laziness. I'm still losing consistently. You don't have to weigh your food, you just have to acknowledge the inconsistencies that will exist.

notice I said see how it's going...

some folks can do great without a food scale..but the closer you get to goal the smaller the margin for error.

I personally don't understand the aversion to it...takes all of 2mins...and I know how much I am eating and it saves doing dishes.
  • Hisservent
    Hisservent Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hisservent wrote: »
    What are you overall goals? Your profile is private so I'm not sure if you are needing to lose 20 pounds or 200.

On one hand, if you have a high # of pounds to lose I can understand you expected to see more than 2 pounds in a month. But part of the struggle is getting started, and even if you 'only' lost 2 of 200 you have made the important step of making an improvement for your health. If you keep going the reward is better than if you quit now.

On the other, if you have 20 pounds to lose, then expecting to lose a huge # per month is not realistic. There are many sites with online calculators. Use them to get an idea of what you burn in a day. From BMR to regular activity to move thru your day to exercise. From there, you eat at a deficit (eat less than you burn) to lose weight. For me, having an idea of what I burn in a day helped the whole process to make sense.

Last, there is more to gain that just pounds gone. Look for improvements in the way clothes fit, in your ability to do more and go further, and to take pride in the good things you are doing for your body.

I did see on a sight that my BMR is 1447. So with that, it looks like I need to eat over 2000 calories to lose 1lb per week. I've NEVER eaten over 2000 calories lol. Based on this quitehealthy.com/bmr-calorie-calculator/index.php#results
    Calorie Summary
    at Current
    Weight at Goal
    Weight
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
    1452 1409
    Calories Burned Through Exercise
    1612 1612
    Total Calories Burned per Day
    3064 3021
    Total Weight to Lose
    10 Lbs ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 1 Lb/Week
    2564 ---
    Calorie Intake to Lose 2 Lbs/Week
    2064 ---

Okay, and I mean this in the most helpful way possible; there's something way off with those numbers. How are you burning 1612 calories PER DAY through exercise?

I'm lightly to moderately active, weigh more than you do, am younger, and only have a TDEE of 2300-2400. This would make your TDEE around 3064, which makes no sense if you're 150....

I think I migh thave typed something wrong. I'm going to other sites to figure it out lol. I saw that and was like "NO WAY do I burn that in one day lol"
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    When you dont weigh your food on a food scale you have no idea how much calories you eat

Like i mentioned in another post
    i ate a cheesecake last week 1 serving ( should be 46 gram) but when i weigh it it was much more than 46 gram ( they were precut) i ended up with 280 for that small piece

WEIGH ALL your solid food

here a good example of going by serving sizes or weighing your food for only two kinda entrees on one day...hundreds of calories more if you dont watch it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?

Honestly, I can't answer with that little information. You may burn 300 from traditional exercise, but be a lot more active in your every day life than I can know.

Your best bet if you're trying to figure out a deficit would be to try a few TDEE calculators (Scoby is well recommended, but average the numbers from a few). 500 calories a day cut means 1lb lost. It sounds (I don't know your height) like you could be more or less losing vanity pounds at this point, if that's the case create a smaller deficit of about 250-300 to lose half an lb per week. It sounds slow, but allows you to eat more and helps protect any lean muscle mass you presently have (you'll always lose a bit, but with aggressive deficits you run the risk of losing a lot).
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

I will note this and see how it's going for you when you have less than 25lbs to lose.

I tend not to tell people this in the forums due to the *kitten* storm that can entail: I'm 19lbs out from my goal, have never used a food scale in my life and eye ball portions a lot of the time out of laziness. I'm still losing consistently. You don't have to weigh your food, you just have to acknowledge the inconsistencies that will exist.

Plenty of people don't use a food scale and do just fine. But when someone is having trouble with the numbers and not losing the amount they want, it can make all the difference and is a reasonable suggestion.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

You have a lot more weight to lose than OP, and therefore, can have a larger margin of error. Once you get closer to goal, you may find that you'll need to weigh foods to be more accurate.

Point taken. Though despite the amount of weight i have to lose when I do estimate I usually log more than I think I've eaten to take that into account. For instance if I eat what I think to be around 6oz of chicken I'll log 8oz, etc. That way I give myself some margin for error anyway.

but what if what you are eating is 10oz...which btw is 283.5 grams...

what does 6 or 8 oz of chicken look like...does it look the same as 6 or 8 oz of pork? shrimp?

I mainly just use the "3oz is roughly the size of a deck of cards" thing. Again like I said I'm sure it's not super accurate but at least I can make a somewhat educated guess.

and that's great...but remember if/when it does slow down accuracy is the key.

and to be honest...it's easy and not weird...

I was never good at that..esp with pasta or starches so I got a food scale...made my weight loss so easy...I went from 1/2lb a week to 1lb a week the first 7 days and consistently have lost ever since...no questions needed.
  • Hisservent
    Options
    If my BMR is 1450 and I burn about 300 in exercise, what should be my daily intake?

That all depends on how much you want to lose and how fast...

My BMR is about the same...I eat 1800 a day and lose 1/2 lb a week in the winter...in the summer I can eat 2200 and still lose...

I'd like 1lb a week. At first, I set my 10lb goal to take 10 weeks but I see that's not going to happen now lol.
  • kami3006
    Options

My BMR is about the same...I eat 1800 a day and lose 1/2 lb a week in the winter...in the summer I can eat 2200 and still lose...

I'd like 1lb a week. At first, I set my 10lb goal to take 10 weeks but I see that's not going to happen now lol.

It's also possible to hit the size you want without hitting the number you want.
  • candykay0605
    candykay0605 Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    sounds like your doing good to me,
    2 weeks in and my scale has gone up, im just gonna keep at it, I know it will come off soon
  • ittybittykittyy
    ittybittykittyy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That video.. is making me go out and buy a food scale this week! And I do agree, that 2lbs in a month is great. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get there. :)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »

Plenty of people don't use a food scale and do just fine. But when someone is having trouble with the numbers and not losing the amount they want, it can make all the difference and is a reasonable suggestion.

Sorry, I suppose my comment came a little out of context.

I was more referring to the lady and gent having a chat above than the OP; I would have a smaller margin of error (like the OP would) than the man who isn't using a food scale. I just wanted to point out that while it's an effective tool for some, it doesn't have to be the answer for everyone.

No judgement on my food scale using friends, all the more power to you; whatever works for you is the path you should follow!

And OP, it's definitely a tool to consider; but it seems like you're a little confused on the CICO side of things too. I hope you can find that sweet spot that lets you eat the foods you enjoy in moderation, while still dropping the weight.
  • kami3006
    Options

Sorry, I suppose my comment came a little out of context.

I was more referring to the lady and gent having a chat above than the OP; I would have a smaller margin of error (like the OP would) than the man who isn't using a food scale. I just wanted to point out that while it's an effective tool for some, it doesn't have to be the answer for everyone.

No judgement on my food scale using friends, all the more power to you; whatever works for you is the path you should follow!

;)
  • kami3006
    Options
    That video.. is making me go out and buy a food scale this week! And I do agree, that 2lbs in a month is great. Just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll get there. :)

It should be a sticky all it's own.
  • Hisservent
    Options

Honestly, I can't answer with that little information. You may burn 300 from traditional exercise, but be a lot more active in your every day life than I can know.

Your best bet if you're trying to figure out a deficit would be to try a few TDEE calculators (Scoby is well recommended, but average the numbers from a few). 500 calories a day cut means 1lb lost. It sounds (I don't know your height) like you could be more or less losing vanity pounds at this point, if that's the case create a smaller deficit of about 250-300 to lose half an lb per week. It sounds slow, but allows you to eat more and helps protect any lean muscle mass you presently have (you'll always lose a bit, but with aggressive deficits you run the risk of losing a lot).

I'm a stay at home mom lol. The only really active stuff I do is when I work out. 60mins 3x a week and 30 mins 2x a week. The 60 min work outs are more than 300 calories, I'm sure. But the 30 mins on my stepper....it calculates about 300 calories. Based on my weight, age and height, my BMR is 1400. I homeschool my kids so I do sit at the table for a few hrs during the day.

At this point, I'm starting to think I may not be eating enough, based on the amt of exercise I do during the week. I never worked out 4-5x a week. It used to always be 2-3x.
  • Hisservent
    Options

It's also possible to hit the size you want without hitting the number you want.

I get that. But I'm not the size I want either lol. Trying to get to a comfortable 8 in jeans, but I'm in a 10 or tight 8.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    You don't maintain or gain from not eating enough. If you're not losing, you're eating too much -- not too little. Your body doesn't create extra weight (be it waste weight, water weight, muscle weight, or fat weight) out of nothing.
  • kami3006
    Options

I get that. But I'm not the size I want either lol. Trying to get to a comfortable 8 in jeans, but I'm in a 10 or tight 8.

I get that. I was referring to the idea of losing 10 pounds in 10 weeks. You could lose it in inches and never hit the number. I greatly prefer the measuring tape.
  • kami3006
    edited May 2015
    Options
    What is you TDEE?

NM, I see you said that. What is your height, weight, age?