Cardio VS weight lifting

Options
Which shows results faster, which has the most impact? What worked for you

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and diet.

My goal is body recomp. with a major focus on fat loss. Eating 15% under TDEE and strength training has helped me more than cardio has.
  • graciepecie
    graciepecie Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Cardio always will do the fat loss faster. It did for me anyway. Weights would not have gotten that off as fast.
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Cardio always will do the fat loss faster. It did for me anyway. Weights would not have gotten that off as fast.

Not the case at all with a lot of women though, just to add. Plenty find they see changes in body shape much quicker through lifting. To say cardio will always lose fat quicker is misleading, and not true in every case anyway.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What works for me is HIIT as cardio, and strength training. This preserves muscle mass while getting fat off (assuming you are eating at a deficit).
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    both.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Your first statement is false.

As I stated before, weight training is causing me to lose more fat than cardio ever did. I might agree with you had you said FOR ME, cardio did the fat loss faster.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Resistance Training are BOTH important. Do both to see the best results. No Joke, anyone telling you otherwise is just not giving you the truth. You can reduce weight using either, but what good is strength without endurance and what good is endurance without strength? I want both. If you can lift 250 lbs but can't run around the block without getting winded what good is that? If you can run 10 miles but strain your back bringing in the groceries you have problems...Do both.

Cardio improves the cardiovascular system (who could use a healthier heart??? all of us) and burns calories which keeps you in a constant calorie deficit. That is a GOOD thing.

But resistance training builds bone density (really important to women as they age) and muscle which increases metabolism. This helps you burn fat more efficiently and keeps it from returning to your body...who wants to get fat again?

Long story short. Do both for the best results and best health.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

As I stated before, weight training is causing me to lose more fat than cardio ever did. I might agree with you had you said FOR ME, cardio did the fat loss faster.

I did say for me. Read it again. I did nothing BUT cardio, still do nothing but cardio. Lost all the fat as well & have the muscles to show for it.
  • koootenay
    koootenay Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cardio and Resistance Training are BOTH important. Do both to see the best results. No Joke, anyone telling you otherwise is just not giving you the truth. You can reduce weight using either, but what good is strength without endurance and what good is endurance without strength? I want both. If you can lift 250 lbs but can't run around the block without getting winded what good is that? If you can run 10 miles but strain your back bringing in the groceries you have problems...Do both.

Cardio improves the cardiovascular system (who could use a healthier heart??? all of us) and burns calories which keeps you in a constant calorie deficit. That is a GOOD thing.

But resistance training builds bone density (really important to women as they age) and muscle which increases metabolism. This helps you burn fat more efficiently and keeps it from returning to your body...who wants to get fat again?

Agreed!
  • shortie_sarah
    shortie_sarah Posts: 177 Member
    Options

I agree with this and may I suggest a good beginner's workout that alternates both cardio and strength? P90. (Power 90). It's a great full body workout. Cardio one day then strength the next. 6 days a week, one day off.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options

^^ this
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer lifting over cardio. But I still do both. I don't see why it has to be this VS that. Both are beneficial.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of doing both maybe 20 min of running and 30 minutes of strength training, ill try that. Now will this help cellulite or is that all diet?
  • Lyadeia
    Options

I did say for me. Read it again. I did nothing BUT cardio, still do nothing but cardio. Lost all the fat as well & have the muscles to show for it.

You read it again. You started with "cardio will always do the fat loss faster." You didn't qualify that with "for me" until the next statement making your first statement appear to be the end all be all answer...which it is not.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Why is it always cardio vs. weightlifting? Or cardio OR weightlifting?

They aren't mutually exclusive and if anything, if you are close to goal weight, lifting with a small deficit is going to give you the best results body composition wise, cardio being purely preferential.

- Pick up New Rules of Lifting for Women, read it, follow it
    - Find out your TDEE, eat about 0.5-1lb less in calories per week
    - Eat at least 100g of protein
    - Eat at least 0.3g fat per lb of bodyweight
    - Do cardio when you feel like it (preferably short HIIT sessions a couple times a week if your schedule is tight or some longer LISS sessions on a bike... no running a marathon three times a week... or really anything much over a couple miles or 20-30min)
    - Track your food as accurately as possible, weigh, measure everything that goes in your mouth
    - Do this for 6-8 weeks and ENJOY!

PS DON'T YOU DARE POST A THREAD IN 1-2 WEEKS COMPLAINING ABOUT GAINING WEIGHT. 1) Its water retention in your muscles from lifting heavy things 2) It will eventually go away and sometimes pop up again when you least expect it. 3) Make sure you're eating, don't be afraid to actually eat, oh yeah, and EAT.

PPS The cellulite mystery still eludes me, all I know is that mine has gotten better/less noticeable as I've dropped body fat and been lifting. Anecdotal evidence, completely, but as long as its not getting worse, I'll keep doing my thing.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options

Fat loss? False. Weightloss? True.

Personally, I don't really dig the low number on the scale and still pudgy look.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

this!!!!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Both. Together.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options

Fat loss? False. Weightloss? True.

Personally, I don't really dig the low number on the scale and still pudgy look.

Neither do I....I guess that would be why I can fit into kids clothing now & be a low number on the scale at the same time.... all without the fat being there. :flowerforyou: