FitBit - Yes or No

Options
1235»

Replies

• Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Terri6627 wrote: »
    I love my charge HR. I find it makes calorie logging super accurate. With the combination of MFP and fitbit, I log my food on MFP. Just be aware that if you back to your food diary for a previous day about 100-200 of the calories it said you burned will be gone (if you allow negative calorie adjustments). Dunno why, just does it.

Not sure if anyone replied to you, I'm to lazy to read every post, but you'll see that it may take a few calories away the next day because fitbit measures midnight to midnight. Say you're really active all day, it projects what your burn will be at that level. It thinks youll stay that active until midnight. When you sync the next day, it logs the info and registers that you did slow down your activity so it adjusts according to the data it took in your rest period up until midnight. Hope that makes sense!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It depends what you use it for.
    If you want it for the placebo effect, i.e. to motivate you to walk more? Sure, why not?
    If you want it for any kind of accurate calorie measurement, then probably not.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10092120/30-days-with-fitbit-warning-long-and-geeky
  • 3proud
    3proud Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have a surge and I like the text & phone alerts. I also like the heart rate function for information purposes. Counting steps/walking has been the best for increasing my TDEE vs trying to calculate exercise. I don't add exercise to my diary....just go by fitbit calorie adjustments and it works well for me. If I was a runner, the GPS function would be really fun but it does drain the battery.

Overall, in my opinion, the fitbit helps get me moving without overtaxing my body with over lifting/heavy cardio or endless exercise classes that tend to deplete my immune system and lead to burnout. I would feel like in order to eat more, I needed to do these workouts. I still do them but because they don't increase my steps much, I limit them to a couple times a week and focus more on walking or more NEAT (cleaning the house, shopping, parking far away from store, taking the stairs, etc).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I credit mine with opening my eyes to how inactive I was. I knew it, but didn't have any way to evaluate the severity. Hope that makes sense! It can be a great device - depending on how you're motivated.
    • If you're motivated by competition, Fitbit has challenges. Work week, weekend, single day.
    • If you're motivated to beat yourself, Fitbit has badges you earn for reaching certain levels of steps per day and other things depending on the model.
    • If you're motivated to earn rewards, many sites work with Fitbit (and other trackers) where you earn points that convert to cash for your activity. Examples Walgreen Rewards, Fitstudio (spendable at Sears, Kmart - can earn $5-7 a week easily), Pact (app where you commit to healthy activities, make $ if you meet your commitment or pay if you don't).

It is NOT a magic device that will make you move. I have the One and it was the right device for me based on: I want a clip onto the body style - I do not wear anything on my wrists. Fitbit seems well rating for trackers in terms of accuracy. Not saying they are guaranteed to be 100% accurate but compared to other trackers, they are the most accurate. Good customer service, though I've never had a problem. Works well with MFP, though I did find MFP after Fitbit.

Things to decide when getting a tracker: do you want to wear it on your wrist? What features do you want it to track? Does it need to be waterproof/water resistant? Does the device have applications that cooperate with other apps that you use?
    cyamissy wrote: »
    I am looking at the FitBit - what does everyone feel about this? Pros and cons. Thanks so much!