Logging everything and still gaining ! GRRRR...

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    What do you mean by logging your breastfeeding?

I was curious about that too. Figured it was misworded or secret women's business.

Sounds like she logs food in and breast feeding out but that would be silly.

excuse me...

Logging breast feeding is a negative calorie adjustment as it takes appx 300-500 calories a day to produce good quality milk. You have to add that to your intake to adjust for it...
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    No one can really help troubleshoot if your diary is closed.

It is doubtful that anyone can troubleshoot if it is open, either. Looking at what someone has logged isn't going to tell you if they logged it correctly, or if they left something out.

if you see someone using generic entries and cups then yes it can help, as you know they are not logging accurately.

exactly this...or if you see an entry for 4 oz of chicken for 100 calories...

Just because you can't @TimothyFish doesn't mean others are in the same boat.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    BambiKing2 wrote: »
    I lost one pound the first week... now that I started logging breastfeeding I'm gaining ;(( I stay at around 1200 calories and nurse my daughter many times a day. My Dr suggested 1800-2000 calories and that I would still lose however that is not the case. Idk what to do!! I log everything! !! I'm so frustrated HELP

Your ticker says you've lost 9 pounds. That's losing weight. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options

It is doubtful that anyone can troubleshoot if it is open, either. Looking at what someone has logged isn't going to tell you if they logged it correctly, or if they left something out.

You can tell when someone is using generic entries as opposed to weights. ;) At least that is a starting place when someone asks for help.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

if you see someone using generic entries and cups then yes it can help, as you know they are not logging accurately.

The assumption there is that the generic entries are somehow less accurate than those with a brand name attached. The farmer who is shipping beans to Bush's may well be shipping to Del Monte, or at the very least, two farmers may be buying from the same seed company and it is unlikely that the label on the can is going to change based on which field the beans come from.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

The assumption there is that the generic entries are somehow less accurate than those with a brand name attached. The farmer who is shipping beans to Bush's may well be shipping to Del Monte, or at the very least, two farmers may be buying from the same seed company and it is unlikely that the label on the can is going to change based on which field the beans come from.

That's not what we mean by "generic" entries, actually. At least it's not what I mean when I use the term for food entries. It's logging the "medium banana" instead of 4 ounces of banana. Or to follow your example "Beans - Baked, home, prepared, 1 cup."

How do you prepare your baked beans? Some people use a lot more sugar than others. How many beans are in a cup? What's the bean to sauce ratio? The calorie amounts can vary and since most people have a tendency to underestimate, using entries like that can easily add up to a couple hundred calories each day if it's being done with calorie dense foods. Take someone with a very small calorie deficit (because they don't have much weight to lose) and that type of logging can easily result in eating at maintenance rather than a deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

what?

I am not talking about the word generic...I am talking about user entered entries that are wrong. Did you not read what I responded or did you just jump without really paying attention?

There are USDA entries and user entries and I've seen some pretty bad user entries...the 4oz of chicken is just an example I have seen in a diary and had to correct them on it...
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Where in the heck did you come up with that bean theory? :dizzy::D

Generic entries are those that are not entered into a diary via weight. An incorrect entry is one such as Stephanie mentioned--the wrong calorie count for a certain amount of food. Both of these types of entries are disaster , and prevalent in the database.

Always research food at the USDA website, read packages, and if there is not entry according to weight, enter it in.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

I was curious about that too. Figured it was misworded or secret women's business.

excuse me...

Logging breast feeding is a negative calorie adjustment as it takes appx 300-500 calories a day to produce good quality milk. You have to add that to your intake to adjust for it...

Fair enough. I didn't think it would be so high. I would have thought that it would be small enough to ignore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you are doing this on purpose or if you really lack this much knowledge ...
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

excuse me...

Fair enough. I didn't think it would be so high. I would have thought that it would be small enough to ignore.

Yes, it really is that high. The amount just depends on whether baby is exclusively BF or has started solids, etc.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I can't tell if you are doing this on purpose or if you really lack this much knowledge ...

You are aware that food has significant variation in the number of calories and they don't change the labels just because a food crop has a higher lower number of calories than normal. You are also aware, that even if someone selects a non-generic entry from the database, it may not be the actual brand of the item they ate. So, the fact remains that just looking at what someone logs isn't enough to spot problems with their logging.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

You are aware that food has significant variation in the number of calories and they don't change the labels just because a food crop has a higher lower number of calories than normal. You are also aware, that even if someone selects a non-generic entry from the database, it may not be the actual brand of the item they ate. So, the fact remains that just looking at what someone logs isn't enough to spot problems with their logging.

That isn't what people are talking about. It has nothing to do with name brands.
    People choose "generic" entries like mashed pototoes, 1 cup. Are they made with whole milk? Skim milk? Butter?
    I see people choose "cheese omelet" instead of logging the two eggs and ounce of cheese they used.
    Ham and cheese sandwich. I've seen people using bad entries that add up to a lot of calories and they weren't even aware.

FYI - with open diaries I also look for patterns like days skipped or meals skipped. Personally, I find I tend to underestimate how often I leave things out until I start really looking. I've found a lot of people here do the same and don't really realize until people point it out (or at least pretend to, but I do believe they aren't aware generally). Plus, I look for things like drinks. Most people don't drink only water so if there are no drinks logged, chances are there are calories there. Same with condiments.
    I like these threads, especially when OP opens their diaries and are willing to participate, so I've seen these things a lot. I've seen a lot of people get help that way.
    I've also seen people open their diary and it is telling a completely different story than the OP originally was.
    It can help.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Listen to your doctor as far as calories and log accurately. 1200 is no where near enough when bfing. If you start losing your milk supply it can take time and effort to get it back. Happened to me when I was on weight watchers after baby 1. Took lots of calories and extra pumping and feedings to get my supply back - took 2 weeks.

How close are you to your goal weight? Lots of women hold on to 5-10 extra lbs while nursing. I held on to 5 lbs with each kid then lost it after nursing.

Also how old is your baby? Little babies require less milk so less calories. Once they are eating more per feeding you need to eat more. Once they start solid food you need less.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    BambiKing2 wrote: »
    I lost one pound the first week... now that I started logging breastfeeding I'm gaining ;(( I stay at around 1200 calories and nurse my daughter many times a day. My Dr suggested 1800-2000 calories and that I would still lose however that is not the case. Idk what to do!! I log everything! !! I'm so frustrated HELP

Are you weighing all of your solids with a food scale? If not, you should.

What are you logging your breastfeeding as? Could this be too high, overstated? I'm assuming that your doctor wants you to eat 1800-2000, but don't include the calorie adjustment from breastfeeding. It sounds like he wants to to eat a gross amount of 1800 calories, not a net amount.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options

excuse me...

Secret women's business. I only happen to know about because a family friend is a big advocate for breast feeding and made me aware of it whether I wanted to be or not. Yes, it burns a substantial amount of calories. I was surprised initially as well, but considering how many calories full fat milk has, and that has had the cream removed, it really shouldn't have surprised me that milk production meant to provide the nourishment needed for a growing baby would take a lot of calories, the resources have to come from somewhere.
  • krisatch
    krisatch Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also breastfeeding and despite careful logging and exercise my body is really retaining an extra 10 lbs. I don't want to compromise my supply but since baby is 9 months I decided to supplement with formula 1 bottle a day so I could push myself a bit more in the gym. Doesn't seem to matter though--body is just holding onto that last 10 lbs. I am getting more toned but look forward to the day I stop nursing to hopefully get back into my pre baby clothes!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are drinking enough water. I was stuck until I started drinking a lot and I've started steadily loosing again.
  • BambiKing2
    BambiKing2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    krisatch wrote: »
    Hi! I'm also breastfeeding and despite careful logging and exercise my body is really retaining an extra 10 lbs. I don't want to compromise my supply but since baby is 9 months I decided to supplement with formula 1 bottle a day so I could push myself a bit more in the gym. Doesn't seem to matter though--body is just holding onto that last 10 lbs. I am getting more toned but look forward to the day I stop nursing to hopefully get back into my pre baby clothes!

My daughter nurses mostly. She does drink 4-8 oz of formula a day. Not muxh to make a difference. She's 4 months old. Nurses quite a bit. My Dr did say hormones still play a huge part. I can definitely tell I do retain water for sure. Thank you for the advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary... you're eating more than you think. Lots of generic or cup entries, suspicious perfectly round entries for meats and cheese etc.