Fit bit calories Do I trust it????

Options

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't trust a damn thing that uses formulas and algorithms to calculate your calorie burn.

Instead, I would use something that requires no tools but a way to log your caloric intake. Pic a number of calories to eat that should create a deficit, and eat that amount for a month.

After a month, see how much you've lost compared to how much you've wanted to eat. Lost too much? Eat more. Lost too little? Eat less.

Trial and error.

Over a period of time, you should have it all figured out. No need for all these little things that just make you spend more and more of your hard-earned money. On top of that: What do you do if you lose it or break it? You've grown a dependency on this silly little gadget, so you're going to have to go spend more money on it.

Stop using materialistic gadgets and start using your brain.

I suppose you take the exact same steps, move the exact same way, and do the exact same things month after month. Awesome.

Now get off that materialistic computer and start using your brain.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    gotolam wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't trust a damn thing that uses formulas and algorithms to calculate your calorie burn.

Instead, I would use something that requires no tools but a way to log your caloric intake. Pic a number of calories to eat that should create a deficit, and eat that amount for a month.

After a month, see how much you've lost compared to how much you've wanted to eat. Lost too much? Eat more. Lost too little? Eat less.

Trial and error.

Over a period of time, you should have it all figured out. No need for all these little things that just make you spend more and more of your hard-earned money. On top of that: What do you do if you lose it or break it? You've grown a dependency on this silly little gadget, so you're going to have to go spend more money on it.

I suppose you take the exact same steps, move the exact same way, and do the exact same things month after month. Awesome.

Someone clearly didn't do their research.

Ever heard of TDEE? You might want to look it up.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    How do I use pedometer mode only?

Sorry I meant I have a fitbit flex / zip and not the new HRM wearable

because the bit I simply don't believe is 'this is your HR hence this is a somewhat accurate estimate of your calorie burn this day' .. because it simply doesn't work like that .. and I've yet to be convinced it can

HRMs convert to calories relatively accurately (still an estimate) for steady state cardio only
  • chivalryder
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    How do I use pedometer mode only?

Sorry I meant I have a fitbit flex / zip and not the new HRM wearable

because the bit I simply don't believe is 'this is your HR hence this is a somewhat accurate estimate of your calorie burn this day' .. because it simply doesn't work like that .. and I've yet to be convinced it can

HRMs convert to calories relatively accurately (still an estimate) for steady state cardio only

I would like to add not just steady state, because a stroll in the park is steady state. Steady state, aerobic cardio activity. In other words, you're working hard enough to sweat, but you're not killing yourself.
  • Monkey_Business
    Monkey_Business Posts: 1,800 Member
    Options
    Well this went south rather quickly. (sits back and gets out the unsalted, unbuttered popcorn).
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Well this went south rather quickly. (sits back and gets out the unsalted, unbuttered popcorn).

You should add some 'No Salt Added' seasoning and maybe some chili powder. Oh boy, is that yummy!
  • gotolam
    Options

Trial and error.

Wait, I thought you didn't trust anything that used formulas and algorithms to calculate your calorie burn?
  • chivalryder
    edited May 2015
    Options

Trial and error.

Wait, I thought you didn't trust anything that used formulas and algorithms to calculate your calorie burn?

I'll take two approaches to this:

a) As I said, you need to start somewhere. Pulling a number out of the air won't do you any good. Using TDEE is a good place to start, but it is just an estimate. You shouldn't use the number as if it were God. Start with it, eat that amount, see if you've achieved your goals for the month, adjust and keep going. Lather, rinse, repeat.

ETA: TDEE is not *actually* a formula, but a theory. People have created a formula so you can calculate an estimate for the theory. TDEE is simply what you burn in a day. What I mentioned in the above paragraph is you can use the formula to calculate an estimate on what your TDEE might be. The trial-and-error system I spoke of earlier is the only way to truly find what your real TDEE is, though is is subject to change as you increase/decrease your weight and your level of activity throughout the seasons.

But then, that's the magic of it all. You're constantly changing yourself, but you're also monitoring how your diet affects your weight. Therefore, you're constantly making adjustments to everything.

After a while, you'll have a solid idea of how much you need to eat based on how active you are. You wouldn't need a gadget to do it for you, you don't even need to think much about it. You'll slowly get a better understanding until it becomes second nature.

That being said, it would still be a good idea to log, because guessing calorie intake never works.

/ETA

See, if you thought about it, you could have figured that out for yourself.

b) Stop fracking trolling.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Charge HR, and my total calories at the end of the day are between 1500-1800, which is what my estimated TDEE is. When Sync'd to MFP, it gives you less than what you see on the device based on your MFP weight loss goal. The Fitibit gave me around 1800 yesterday, but MFP around 1500.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I have the One - so not sure how it compares in terms of accuracy to the model you have. But now that I'm in maintenance I've learned that if I eat less than what Fitbit says I've burned, I lose weight. So its accurate or it lowballs me. You won't know your results/accuracy until you accumulate some data. So for now assume a 10% error rate if that gives you peace of mind. So 3100 * .9 (10% error rate) = 2800 roughly. Just plan on leaving some Fitbit calories 'on the table' and see how your rate of weight loss proceeds over the next few months. Then adjust accordingly.

Ps-I'm smaller, 125-128ish and for a moderately active day on Monday (8 hours of desk time) and 118 active minutes, 17k steps, total daily burn was 2076. So since you were more active in terms of # of steps & on your feet rather than sitting at a desk, and 40 pounds heavier, I don't find your calorie burned # to be odd.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit Charge and a One. They're great as motivational tools. I'm not convinced that the calorie estimates can be trusted though. For months I ate back the calories given with my activity level set to sedentary and my weight loss goal set at 1 lb per week. I didn't really lose much weight. Certainly not one pound per week. But I walked my butt off. The more walking I did, the more I got to eat. I was averaging close to ten miles a day for a while. And although I didn't lose much, I didn't gain anything and I was eating pretty much all I wanted.

I think Fitbit's calorie estimates are a bit high. Also, your metabolism adapts over time. Increasing your activity level will net you a nice calorie burn for a few weeks, but the effect gradually diminishes as your body becomes more efficient at walking or other steady state cardio exercise/activity.

I've since switched to the TDEE method with a fixed daily calorie intake based on my age, sex, weight, and exercise frequency. When I stick to plan, eating at a 20% deficit, I lose weight consistently. I haven't been all that good at sticking to plan, but I know that the plan works. I also have my Fitbit linked to MFP. I no longer eat MFP's recommended calories, but I like to compare the two figures.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on your results. If you are losing consistently using the Fitbit/MFP calorie allotments, then keep doing what you're doing. If you find that you're eating at a deficit according to MFP but you're no longer losing weight, make adjustments. You might do that by eating 100, 300 or 500 calories below what MFP is telling you, or you might find it easier to switch to the TDEE method.

BTW, when you say that you burned 3143 calories, I'm assuming that you're using Fitbit's number, not MFP's exercise calories, which are calories above and beyond your BMR. 3143 calories sounds too high unless you logged over 30 miles yesterday.
  • Speckgreen1
    Speckgreen1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the materialistic Charge HR and also the One. They have been excellent motivational tools and I've lost 84 pounds since I started using them and MFP together last July. I've found the calorie burn to be very accurate and corresponds almost to the quarter pound of loss with calories burned vs calories eaten. Most of my activity is from walking with the occasional weekly game of racquetball or a bike ride. I average over 20,000 steps a day with @ 10,000 of those coming from walks @ 4 MPH (according to GPS).
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Guess I'm materialistic too. Though I received mine as a gift - or maybe that does not matter as it was on my Christmas 'wish list'. Have since bought Fitbits for other family members though. I don't buy shakes, supplements, etc. and I've made a good bit of money in the past 1+ years from Pact, Achievemint, Fitstudio, etc. So I'm ok with this being the materialistic side of me.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    1b1b1b_square.png
  • gotolam
    Options

Trial and error.

a) As I said, you need to start somewhere. Pulling a number out of the air won't do you any good. Using TDEE is a good place to start, but it is just an estimate. You shouldn't use the number as if it were God. Start with it, eat that amount, see if you've achieved your goals for the month, adjust and keep going. Lather, rinse, repeat.

ETA: TDEE is not *actually* a formula, but a theory. People have created a formula so you can calculate an estimate for the theory. TDEE is simply what you burn in a day. What I mentioned in the above paragraph is you can use the formula to calculate an estimate on what your TDEE might be. The trial-and-error system I spoke of earlier is the only way to truly find what your real TDEE is, though is is subject to change as you increase/decrease your weight and your level of activity throughout the seasons.

But then, that's the magic of it all. You're constantly changing yourself, but you're also monitoring how your diet affects your weight. Therefore, you're constantly making adjustments to everything.

After a while, you'll have a solid idea of how much you need to eat based on how active you are. You wouldn't need a gadget to do it for you, you don't even need to think much about it. You'll slowly get a better understanding until it becomes second nature.

That being said, it would still be a good idea to log, because guessing calorie intake never works.

/ETA

a) Click on thread with no "interest" in topic.
    b) Accuse those interested in said topic of not using their brain; preferably with inconsistent statements.
    c) When called out, accuse ignorance.
    d) When further called out, accuse trolling.

You do understand that everything you keep talking about relates to Calories In and the fitbit is designed to measure Calories Out, right?

You also realize that your statement "though is is subject to change as you increase/decrease your weight and your level of activity throughout the seasons." is the exact reason why an activity tracker can be useful to a lot of people, right?

No of course you don't. Because you'd rather waste weeks and weeks of your time figuring it out instead of being materialistic.
  • RRB2000
    RRB2000 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I think its pretty accurate...although I don't go by the calories left to eat. I still just use MFP and log my calories and don't eat back any exercise calories, unless its a "cheat day." I LOVE it....it makes me so much more active and competitive. Even if it wasn't totally accurate with calorie counts, I'd still love it and use it every day. I'm lost without mine.
  • chivalryder
    Options

Trial and error.

/ETA

You also realize that your statement "though is is subject to change as you increase/decrease your weight and your level of activity throughout the seasons." is the exact reason why an activity tracker can be useful to a lot of people, right?

You're right. I forgot that people would rather spend money on something so they don't have to do the work to figure it out for themselves.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Trial and error.

/ETA

You're right. I forgot that people would rather spend money on something so they don't have to do the work to figure it out for themselves.

abso-fecking-lutely

cars
    computers
    phones
    microwaves
    ovens
    kettles
    zips
    buttons
    sewing machines

• loridebacker
    loridebacker Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Boy some people can be just nasty.
    To each there own.
  • marilyndawn77
    marilyndawn77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fembat75 wrote: »
    The fitbit in my experience is pretty darn close, especially if you have the one which monitors heartrate etc. If you were very active a calorie burn of 3143 is possible. To be safe I try not to eat all my calorie allowance but do find it handy for those days when I am a little bit more hungry than usual :blush: