Quinoa - how to boil?

Options
CM_73
CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
I've had a few goes at this now, and all I seem to create is a sloppy mess.
First time, admittedly, I just slung some in the saucepan and guessed the right amount of water. The second two times I carefully weighed and measured everything, timed it to the second... and still got a sloppy mess.
Where am I going wrong?

Replies

• dothefreddy
    dothefreddy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just measure out 1/4 cup of dry to 1 cup of water. Let the water boil, put in quinoa and then turn down to a simmer till all water is absorbed. Basically the same if I was making rice.
  • llap200
    llap200 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to use a rice cooker, one cup quinoa to two cups water then just turn the rice cooker on. Mine is a cheap one I bought 5 years ago at Walgreens, cost about $15.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Thanks for those, couple of ideas to try.
    I will give it another go!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    1 part Quinoa, 2 parts water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then turn to a simmer, cover and leave for about 15mins or until water has evaporated
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Rinse quinoa in a bowl using 5 changes of water, rubbing grains and letting them settle before pouring off water (if quinoa does not settle, drain in a large sieve after each rinsing).

Cook quinoa in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water 10 minutes. Drain in a large sieve and rinse under cold running water.

Set sieve with quinoa over a saucepan containing 1 1/2 inches boiling water (sieve should not touch water) and steam quinoa, covered with a kitchen towel and lid, until fluffy and dry, 10 to 12 minutes.

From Epicurious
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need a bigger pot?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    1 part Quinoa, 2 parts water in a pan. Bring to the boil, then turn to a simmer, cover and leave for about 15mins or until water has evaporated

This is also what I do, which is according to the package directions. Sometimes it does take longer than others for the water to absorb, I have no idea why, but I just leave it on simmer until it's fluffy.
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Add rinsed quinoa to a pot with double the amount of water/salt (I use chicken broth - gives it good flavor). Leave it on HIGH uncovered until a rolling boil, then do a quick stir, cover, and reduce the heat to LOW and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until all the liquid is evaporated (I have a pot with a clear glass lid so I can see when it is done). Just turn the heat off and let it sit still covered for about 5 minutes before serving.
  • CM_73
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A majority vote for the 1:2 grain/water ratio then!
    This is also what I do, which is according to the package directions. Sometimes it does take longer than others for the water to absorb, I have no idea why, but I just leave it on simmer until it's fluffy.

I wonder if it's just as simple as that then? The water is very hard where I live, maybe it just needs a bit longer to absorb.

*feels stupid*

That's the trouble with cooking something I'd never even heard of before, no idea what was supposed to happen to it!
    Thanks all, much appreciated, I'm sure I'll nail it next time now
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I saute a chopped onion and jalapeno with a couple tsp olive oil, then add the 2 cups washed quinoa (I prefer red) and toast it a few minutes. After that I add toss in some chili powder, cumin, and coriander and let it bloom. Then a can of Ro-tel tomatoes (drained), can of black beans (drained and rinsed), about 2 cups chicken broth. Cover that and simmer it for 16-18 minutes. Pull it off the heat, uncover and toss a kitchen towel over the pan, and replace cover. Let sit for 10 minutes then squeeze some lime juice on top, stir and eat.

Use it as a side or in place of rice/pasta.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Rinse quinoa in a bowl using 5 changes of water, rubbing grains and letting them settle ...From Epicurious

These instructions make sense if people are starting with virgin quinoa that hasn't been rinsed of it's soapy layer. But these days quinoa is practically mainstream and what you get in the store is pre-rinsed.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I saute a chopped onion and jalapeno with a couple tsp olive oil, then add the 2 cups washed quinoa (I prefer red) and toast it a few minutes. After that I add toss in some chili powder, cumin, and coriander and let it bloom. Then a can of Ro-tel tomatoes (drained), can of black beans (drained and rinsed), about 2 cups chicken broth. Cover that and simmer it for 16-18 minutes. Pull it off the heat, uncover and toss a kitchen towel over the pan, and replace cover. Let sit for 10 minutes then squeeze some lime juice on top, stir and eat.

That sounds absolutely amazing.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    If you want fluffy quinoa, in my experience it's better to use a 1:1.75 ratio.

Also an aside, after you rinse the quinoa, toast it in a dry pan for a few minutes, just until it starts to turn color - adds another dimension of flavor
  • CM_73
    Options

That does sound good! It's a bit more advanced than my "bung it in a pan" idea but I will try a meat-free variation of that at some point :)

• CM_73
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    If you want fluffy quinoa, in my experience it's better to use a 1:1.75 ratio.

Also an aside, after you rinse the quinoa, toast it in a dry pan for a few minutes, just until it starts to turn color - adds another dimension of flavor

Fluffy works for me! Anything will be an improvement over sloppy tbh.
    Thanks for the tip, I will give that a go to start with.
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Oh, and after you cook it, if you see your pan is full of little "worms" don't panic. When I first started cooking at eating quinoa I was half way through a bowl, looked down and saw all these tiny dead hookworms. I freaked out a bit thinking I had a bad batch. Some quick Googling set me straight. Not works, just part of the seed :wink:
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    Oh, and after you cook it, if you see your pan is full of little "worms" don't panic. When I first started cooking at eating quinoa I was half way through a bowl, looked down and saw all these tiny dead hookworms. I freaked out a bit thinking I had a bad batch. Some quick Googling set me straight. Not works, just part of the seed :wink:

Hahahaha my BF thought the same thing when I first cooked it for him. It messed with his head so much that it took another couple of months until he was ready to try again. Also this was before I got the water ratio right, so it came out a soupy mess, and took that long until I was ready to try it again.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I also do the absorption method. 1c quinoa, 2c broth, maybe some butter. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer for 15 min. Turns out perfect every time!
  • kmsoucy457
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I also do the absorption method. 1c quinoa, 2c broth, maybe some butter. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer for 15 min. Turns out perfect every time!

lid off? I always put the lid on; maybe that's why I need less liquid?
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    mistikal13 wrote: »

lid off? I always put the lid on; maybe that's why I need less liquid?

When I make quinoa I leave the lid off and the flame super low. I hate mushy quinoa >:)