2»

Replies

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    mistikal13 wrote: »
    I also do the absorption method. 1c quinoa, 2c broth, maybe some butter. Bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer for 15 min. Turns out perfect every time!

lid off? I always put the lid on; maybe that's why I need less liquid?

When I make quinoa I leave the lid off and the flame super low. I hate mushy quinoa >:)

Well that might do it. Will try tonight (was having quinoa anyway) and post my scientific findings.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I've always cooked it with the lid on, I cook everything with the lid on to save a bit of energy.

Glad you mentioned the "worms" though, I would have assumed that's where the high quinoa protein comes from...
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I've always cooked it with the lid on, I cook everything with the lid on to save a bit of energy.

Glad you mentioned the "worms" though, I would have assumed that's where the high quinoa protein comes from...

Quinoa is the only thing I cook with the lid off. I just like the way it turns out better. Brown rice and other grains I leave the lid on. Weird I know.

• CM_73
    Options
    No, makes perfect sense. With rice you're trying to conserve the water and (obviously where I'm going wrong) with quinoa, you drive off the excess.
    Can't wait to get home and give it another shot now!
  • dizzgirl
    dizzgirl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Definitely rice cooker. I have never mastered cooking rice or quinoa on the stove...purchased a rice cooker, follow package directions, and am now a pro :-). Bonus is that like a slow cooker you don't have to stir it continually so it won't burn.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm dying to try this: Tsorta Tfaya
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I add the quinoa and water together and bring to a bowl...pretty much right when it starts to boil I turn the heat down to medium low and let it simmer really slow. It takes awhile. In my experience, people try to cook quinoa and things like brown rice too quickly so it doesn't turn out right. Slow and low to let the water actually absorb rather than just burn off.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Thanks all,well, it worked!
    1:2, simmered (no lid) until the water was mostly gone, then a dash of chilli sauce and pepper, turned the heat up to firm it up then left it to dry out for a couple of minutes with the heat off.
    And, it was pretty good!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Thanks all,well, it worked!
    1:2, simmered (no lid) until the water was mostly gone, then a dash of chilli sauce and pepper, turned the heat up to firm it up then left it to dry out for a couple of minutes with the heat off.
    And, it was pretty good!

Yay! So glad this worked for you. B)

• kpodaru
    kpodaru Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I've had a few goes at this now, and all I seem to create is a sloppy mess.
    First time, admittedly, I just slung some in the saucepan and guessed the right amount of water. The second two times I carefully weighed and measured everything, timed it to the second... and still got a sloppy mess.
    Where am I going wrong?

i do a 2:1 ratio. 2 cups water, 1 cup quinoa
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I saute a chopped onion and jalapeno with a couple tsp olive oil, then add the 2 cups washed quinoa (I prefer red) and toast it a few minutes. After that I add toss in some chili powder, cumin, and coriander and let it bloom. Then a can of Ro-tel tomatoes (drained), can of black beans (drained and rinsed), about 2 cups chicken broth. Cover that and simmer it for 16-18 minutes. Pull it off the heat, uncover and toss a kitchen towel over the pan, and replace cover. Let sit for 10 minutes then squeeze some lime juice on top, stir and eat.

Use it as a side or in place of rice/pasta.

Definitely going to try this. I love the red quinoa too. The lime to freshen it up sounds great too.
  • bluemaine1212
    bluemaine1212 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Look in the freezer section they sell plain quinoa in a steam bag. Pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes and you are good to go - perfectly cooked quinoa!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    sm4astan wrote: »
    I saute a chopped onion and jalapeno with a couple tsp olive oil, then add the 2 cups washed quinoa (I prefer red) and toast it a few minutes. After that I add toss in some chili powder, cumin, and coriander and let it bloom. Then a can of Ro-tel tomatoes (drained), can of black beans (drained and rinsed), about 2 cups chicken broth. Cover that and simmer it for 16-18 minutes. Pull it off the heat, uncover and toss a kitchen towel over the pan, and replace cover. Let sit for 10 minutes then squeeze some lime juice on top, stir and eat.

Use it as a side or in place of rice/pasta.

That sounds absolutely amazing.

Ditto! Something I'm going to play with this coming weekend. Thanks so much.

• CM_73
    Options
    Look in the freezer section they sell plain quinoa in a steam bag. Pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes and you are good to go - perfectly cooked quinoa!

Cool, thanks for that, I'll have a look. I'm not sure that we get that in the UK though, never seen it, but then I've never looked for it either!
    I've cooked it a few times now, and it's come out fine, but it's always nice to have a quick microwave option after a long day at work.

• AMSmit88
    AMSmit88 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

Cool, thanks for that, I'll have a look. I'm not sure that we get that in the UK though, never seen it, but then I've never looked for it either!
    I've cooked it a few times now, and it's come out fine, but it's always nice to have a quick microwave option after a long day at work.

UK quinoa addict here - Tilda do prepackaged quinoa packets normally mixed in with other grains like bulgar wheat or wild rice which you can just zap in the microwave, or you can stir fry if you want to. I do prefer cooking quinoa from scratch but those packs are perfect for those evenings you're working late and just want something quick and easy and know that it's not going to go wrong! Tesco definitely stock them so I'm sure the other big supermarkets will too.
  • CM_73
    Options

UK quinoa addict here - Tilda do prepackaged quinoa packets normally mixed in with other grains like bulgar wheat or wild rice which you can just zap in the microwave, or you can stir fry if you want to. I do prefer cooking quinoa from scratch but those packs are perfect for those evenings you're working late and just want something quick and easy and know that it's not going to go wrong! Tesco definitely stock them so I'm sure the other big supermarkets will too.

Brilliant, thank you! Sounds a very handy thing to have. I've got to face the shopping after work, so will have a hunt.

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OK, I've made it twice since posting. My experience:

1:2 ratio with the lid off; needed a stir and a couple extra minutes of cook time.
    2:3 ratio with the lid on; removed from heat, took off lid, fluffed with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes.

Both methods worked well.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    How have you survived this long if simply boiling a pot of water was difficult?
  • CM_73
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    How have you survived this long if simply boiling a pot of water was difficult?

Maybe I've just been lucky...