Eating less calories then my actual goal and putting on weight?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    if you aren't eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it. You must have balance when it comes to eating and exercise. you cant exercise all day but barely eat. you also have to be considerate of what youre eating even if its low in calories.

No no no that is not how it works. You cannot store energy with no energy.

i didnt say store energy i said fat

Fat IS stored energy.

:lol: well she learned what fat is today. I still would like to know what she thought fat was?
  • jewcyascanbe
    jewcyascanbe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    if you aren't eating enough your body will go into starvation mode and store fat instead of burning it. You must have balance when it comes to eating and exercise. you cant exercise all day but barely eat. you also have to be considerate of what youre eating even if its low in calories.

What did you think fat was? Excess of what?

deez nuts!!!!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    mrsvstol wrote: »

Definitely NOT THIS.

Yes it can be this!http://www.coachcalorie.com/get-over-fear-of-eating-more-calories/

As the article explains eating below your BMR or too few calories in general will NOT result in greater weight loss. It will stall it and YES cause a GAIN! I'm living proof of this. It was my MD who pointed it out. I slowly added calories until I was 2100-2400 per day. Then I started cutting 50 calories a day. Somewhere in the 2000-2100 range I started losing. As the article states 100 calorie a day deficit can lead to 1 lb a week weight loss.

100 calories a day is 700 calories in a week. How will this result in losing 1 pound a week?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    l0vegood wrote: »
    Your goal is 1770. Make it lower. Try 1300 or 1200.
    WNYEj9G.gif
  • jewcyascanbe
    jewcyascanbe Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

Yes it can be this!http://www.coachcalorie.com/get-over-fear-of-eating-more-calories/

As the article explains eating below your BMR or too few calories in general will NOT result in greater weight loss. It will stall it and YES cause a GAIN! I'm living proof of this. It was my MD who pointed it out. I slowly added calories until I was 2100-2400 per day. Then I started cutting 50 calories a day. Somewhere in the 2000-2100 range I started losing. As the article states 100 calorie a day deficit can lead to 1 lb a week weight loss.

i experienced the same thing
  • yopeeps025
    Options

What did you think fat was? Excess of what?

deez nuts!!!!

I will take that response as to you didn't know what fat was. Also Deez nuts was funny 10 years ago. It kind of an old joke now. Within good context its funny. Not this one

• mrsvstol
    mrsvstol Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

100 calories a day is 700 calories in a week. How will this result in losing 1 pound a week?

Because our bodies are not mathematical equations. There are hormones and other factors that come into play. There is also a significant bump in metabolism. It just works.
  • yopeeps025
    edited May 2015
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

Because our bodies are not mathematical equations. There are hormones and other factors that come into play. There is also a significant bump in metabolism. It just works.

100 calorie deficit per day does not equal one pound weight loss per week for anyone. I would like to see the medical issue for this to apply.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    WNYEj9G.gif
    Is this gif you?

I wish he had a nodding head gif to answer that question....
    The epic beard wouldn't be as effective.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    l0vegood wrote: »
    Your goal is 1770. Make it lower. Try 1300 or 1200.

We don't know any of the OP's stats to know if that's an appropriate goal for her, and if she's truly burning as much as she claims, that would put her at a dangerous calorie intake level.

OP, as others have said, have patience and start logging everything accurately.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

The article doesn't mention a specific number of pounds per week. It says that you (paraphrasing) eat your way up to maintenance level over the space of 12 weeks and then: "Reverse the process and start decreasing your calories by 50 per day for a week at a time. If you made it all the way up to 1800, then lower it to 1750/day for the first week. Watch as your body starts shedding body fat like it’s going out of style."

I think what he's basically talking about is reverse dieting, but isn't that usually something that's done after a significant time/amount of weight loss (basically to correct metabolic adaptation)?
  • mrsvstol
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

100 calorie deficit per day does not equal one pound weight loss per week for anyone. I would like to see the medical issue for this to apply.

Try it. Eat up to your TDEE. Stay there for 3-4 weeks or longer. Then start subtracting 50 calories a day. You will shred weight like crazy.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

Try it. Eat up to your TDEE. Stay there for 3-4 weeks or longer. Then start subtracting 50 calories a day. You will shred weight like crazy.

This doesn't make sense to me. By this logic, wouldn't a person who's been eating at maintenance for years and years, who cuts their calories also "shred weight like crazy?"
  • DevilsFan1
    DevilsFan1 Posts: 342 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I cycle one hour a day and it burns between 500-600 calories and I use Pacer to track my steps and adds an extra 300 calories, that's how I burn my calories.
    I just started using this app and I'm truly trying to put down everything I eat but maybe it's just not enough time and I'm panicking for nothing.
    Thank you for advice !!! I really appreciate it x

How intense is your cycling? Are you cycling at a sustained pace of 15mph for a full hour, because that's what it would take to hit 600 calories or so.

• NellyDolphin
    NellyDolphin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    DevilsFan1 wrote: »
    I cycle one hour a day and it burns between 500-600 calories and I use Pacer to track my steps and adds an extra 300 calories, that's how I burn my calories.
    I just started using this app and I'm truly trying to put down everything I eat but maybe it's just not enough time and I'm panicking for nothing.
    Thank you for advice !!! I really appreciate it x

How intense is your cycling? Are you cycling at a sustained pace of 15mph for a full hour, because that's what it would take to hit 600 calories or so.

• NellyDolphin
    NellyDolphin Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, minimum 14 mph average up to 18mph
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Definitely NOT THIS.

If you are going to assert that a deficit of 700 calories will burn an additional 2,800 calories, you need more than "it just works."
  • mrsvstol
    Options
    Let me find the article. His site is packed with info. I know I just read it this past week. His advice as with my MD to eat more was really hard to get my head around. It's flies in face of everything we've been told. I was very resistant to it in the beginning. As my Dr said if exercise plus 1200 calories was the answer everyone would be thin and the weight loss industry would be out of business.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh your food on a food scale?

So not measure it that is highly inaccurate
    You eat more than you think

going by serving sizes, and cups and spoons can make hundreds of (unlogged) calories. Believe me.

Look at this short video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Let me find the article. His site is packed with info. I know I just read it this past week. His advice as with my MD to eat more was really hard to get my head around. It's flies in face of everything we've been told. I was very resistant to it in the beginning. As my Dr said if exercise plus 1200 calories was the answer everyone would be thin and the weight loss industry would be out of business.

Your doctor sounds profoundly confused.