32days - 4lbs [Frustrated]

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I figured setting an 8-10lbs goal each month was reasonable but I guess I am wrong.

Only if you started out very heavy. Congrats on the loss, keep at it!
  • krismurphydc
    krismurphydc Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I suggest stepping up the exercise. Exercising at least twice a week where you can build up a pretty good sweat will help.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You mention deli meat which is extremely high in Sodium. Sodium can contribute to water weight. When I cut Sodium down, a lot of good things happened. Also: Drink as much water as you can. It seems counter productive to drink water to negate water weight, but it does.
  • drjimmy86
    drjimmy86 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Flat spots in weight loss are going to happen. Be as accurate as you can be with your logging. The food scale was the right move. Results are not "quick" but they are steady. 2 months from now you will look at how much you lost and you will be happy. I am on week 20 and very pleased with the results. BTW, not to sound preachy but packaged food often has a lot of sodium. Sodium = water retention.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hello pals! Today marks 1 month since i've been logging my food, while trying to stay around 1200-1500 calories per day. I lost 4lbs within the first 2 weeks, but the scale has not moved since! This is so frustrating, I was really pushing for 8-10lbs between April 15 and May 15. I've not been exercising but accoring to my fitbit I average 4,500-5,000 steps per day. I've just ordered a foodscale online to help with my measurments but most of my foods are packaged, so I'm not completey off about my intake. What am I doing wrong?

You're likely over-estimating calories out. I've recently decided to sever the Runkeeper-MFP connection, as I surmise it was overestimating my caloric burn, and instead manually enter. And, I'm back on track.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I figured setting an 8-10lbs goal each month was reasonable but I guess I am wrong.

Realistically, I would look to do 1lb per week, over a long period average. Sometimes, you just hit a plateau, and I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep on keeping on.
  • Alligator423
    Alligator423 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Not to seem as if I am giving praise for a high-sodium diet, but provided your sodium intake doesn't fluctuate, it won't cause you to gain/lose any water weight. It's only an issue if one week (weigh-in) you eat a lower sodium diet and then increase your intake, causing an increase in water weight (and conversely if you generally eat a high sodium diet and then decrease, you will lose that water weight).
  • KellyDean242
    KellyDean242 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! Food scale arrives tomorrow! I hadnt considered the sodium, good point!
  • cha97shelley
    cha97shelley Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've only lost a few pounds since January and I am heavier than you, but I am exercising a lot more than I used to and I have pictures that show I have lost a lot from round my tummy area. It is frustrating not seeing the scales move, but you just need to keep doing the small things and eventually they do make a much bigger impact. The 5000 steps is still classed as sedentary. If you are looking at increasing your activity, a good way to start is by just adding 500 extra steps to that goal every day until your doing that comfortably. Then try adding another 500. I have been trying to work out where the tipping point is with walking to see movement on the scales, and I know that its higher than 10,000 from seeing what other people with fitbits do who have lost weight. I've got my average to about 11700 a day, and I am striving to get that even higher. Long term, I want to be at least 15,000 a day, with some days where I am higher. However, at the moment, I am also trying to do other exercises like weight lifting so I am trying not to get too cross with myself.
  • fitmap73
    fitmap73 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi don't get discouraged, 4 lbs is a good start. It is good you are focused on controlling the diet. It is possible that you are converting fat to muscle from the exercise program-- so you might be making improvements that don't show up on the scale (but will evenutally!). Try to get up to 10,000 fitbit steps-- basically take another 30 minute walk each day. Also only drink water (and coffee or tea if you take it).
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Hello pals! Today marks 1 month since i've been logging my food, while trying to stay around 1200-1500 calories per day. I lost 4lbs within the first 2 weeks, but the scale has not moved since!

According to my fitbit I average 4,500-5,000 steps per day. I've just ordered a foodscale online to help with my measurments but most of my foods are packaged, so I'm not completey off about my intake. What am I doing wrong?

Weigh everything—even packaged food. The label will have a weight in grams for one serving.

Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). If you eat at a reasonable deficit from that, you will lose weight. Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit and enable negative calorie adjustments in your diary settings.

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • GregSponaugle
    GregSponaugle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 61 days, so far, by following a low carb diet. I use MFP religiously, but on to track my carbs. I could care less about the calories. And Low carb isn't all about meat. It's understanding how foods breakdown as sugars and choosing foods that don't breakdown as quickly.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    30 lbs in 61 days, so far, by following a low carb diet. I use MFP religiously, but on to track my carbs. I could care less about the calories. And Low carb isn't all about meat. It's understanding how foods breakdown as sugars and choosing foods that don't breakdown as quickly.

You're losing half a pound a day? Your calories (which is how you lose weight) must be extremely low.
  • maineapple
    maineapple Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Deli meats can have a lot of sodium also.

I also wanted to say that I was following the MFP guidelines previously for how many calories I should be eating and my weight loss wasn't as consistent as I wanted to see. I was eating about 1500 calories per day. Now I am doing Nutrisystem and logging through MFP and my caloric intake is about 1350 per day and I am finding it easier to lose weight. I honestly think I was eating too many calories before and probably my portion sizes weren't as accurate as they are now. I was measuring, but over time you sort of start eyeballing it and the sizes begin to increase. Some people can stay motivated losing very little per week, but for me it isn't enough for me to stay motivated. I want to see 1.5-2 lbs. per week on average to feel like for me all the effort is making a difference.