Where to hold iPod when lifting?

Options
Might be a dumb question, but whatever. :tongue: Now that it's getting HOT out (and now that I've stopped relying mostly on cardio machines--woot!), I won't always have a hoody on me to hold my phone (which I use for music). Women's workout clothes aren't pocket-friendly. I was considering getting an armband, but I've been trying to focus more on lifting, and won't that come loose whenever I contract my arm?! I sweat too much to stick it in my waistband or sports bra. :laugh: Please tell me I'm not doomed to a fanny pack!

Replies

• StaticEntropy
    StaticEntropy Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You can get bluetooth headphones and set the ipod down on the floor or a bench while you lift. Make sure your ipod has a cover or it might get scratched by setting it on the floor.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have a stretchy armband. Guessing my arms are bigger than yours too.
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You can get an armband or you can stick it in your bra :P
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I bought a runner's wallet for exercising. Holds my ipod and keys and sometimes my phone close to my body...no bounces. Check Amazon ...they carry several kinds.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I bet lots of people wonder how us "old" lifters got along without iPods or music headphones back in the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I bet lots of people wonder how us "old" lifters got along without iPods or music headphones back in the day.

IDEA Fitness member

When I started, I would go to the gym around 6 am, this was the time the older crowd would go and as such, the gym had a rule that classical or jazz music had to be played til about 8 or so.

That being said, I use an arm band now. Problem is, I have a hard time finding ones that fit properly.
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Bump to see more posts. I've been thinking the same thing. Right now the ipod goes in the bra. I hate it though. I've tried a clip to my pants but that kept falling off. I've also tried an arm band but my arms are just too huge. The wireless ear buds sound like a good idea. Knowing me though I may leave my ipod behind somewhere. Ha! :)
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    arm band
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    :laugh:
    Well I always joke that I'm an old person so I guess it holds true when I'm lifting.... I don't use my phone then (partly because I can't find anywhere to hold it where it won't fall or have the cord knocked around and turn off my music). I only use my phone when running, but when I'm lifting, I find it a lot easier to focus on my form and getting my reps done correctly if I don't have music in my ears.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I don't stick it IN my sports bra. I just clip it to the front (I have a Nano). It gets in the way if I put it anywhere else.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    An armband will work just fine. Used mine for years and never any issues with the band coming undone or loosen when my arm contracts.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Looks like I'll be trying an armband since I can't afford bluetooth headphones, lol...thanks guys!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I am really classy and stick my iPod Touch in my sports bra. My gym ID serves as a nice little buffer between it and my sweaty body. :tongue: I think some people at the gym think I'm nasty... but I don't care :happy:
    ETA I got an armband and I hated it. I'd love to get a little ipod for the gym because my touch takes up a lot of room.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have an arm band specific for my phone but it just does not work for upper body weight work.

Anyone have any recommendation for a bluetooth headset?

Or I guess I could sew some sort of lanyard thing, but I would rather not
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I tried a few different things, including an armband, and they all just bothered me. I ended up buying an iPod shuffle and I just clip it to my shirt, it's perfect and never gets in my way.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my workout pants have a little pocket that I put it in. If I don't have a pair of those on then I stick it in my bra or don't use one. It does get a bit sweaty when I go the bra route but it doesn't make it stop working. I've used an armband at times but didn't love the way it felt. It never got loose though if that's your concern.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries some Danskin brand workout tops that have an ipod pocket near the top right of the chest.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Put mines in my bra lol :D
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Next question - any particular brand recommended (and like < $20 because I'm broke) that's not too super crappy?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    :laugh:
    Well I always joke that I'm an old person so I guess it holds true when I'm lifting.... I don't use my phone then (partly because I can't find anywhere to hold it where it won't fall or have the cord knocked around and turn off my music). I only use my phone when running, but when I'm lifting, I find it a lot easier to focus on my form and getting my reps done correctly if I don't have music in my ears.
    Likewise. I pretty much tune out everything when I lift so I really couldn't tell you what was on the gym music system playing while I lifted.
    I've worked out in gyms where they play heavy metal, hip hop, top 40, etc. and really it doesn't matter to me. They could play elevator music and I wouldn't be distracted.

IDEA Fitness member