Where to hold iPod when lifting?

Options

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have an arm band for my phone when I run & a clip for my ipod shuffle. I run my headphone cord under my shirt when I lift & it makes it easier for the upper body exercises.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Next question - any particular brand recommended (and like < $20 because I'm broke) that's not too super crappy?
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57403641-285/diy-a-dead-simple-workout-armband/

Possibility?
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Two of my three pairs of workout tights have pockets at the back big enough for a slim phone, ipod or mp3.

Alternatively try loose shorts (not spandex!) - they usually have pockets.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get 1000 response for where to put it, so I'm going to go a different route.

Lifting is not just about pushing weight around. There is a very clear, very important mental component to it as well, one that I've only recently realized and one that the vast majority of gym-goers have no clue about. IMO, leave the ipod at home when you are lifting so you can be as focused as possible during each lift.

If you're worried about your ipod, your head isn't where it should be and you're not getting the most out of your workouts.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I use my stretchy armband. It does not interfere with my lifts, because it's... stretchy.
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Next question - any particular brand recommended (and like < $20 because I'm broke) that's not too super crappy?
    http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-57403641-285/diy-a-dead-simple-workout-armband/

Possibility?

LOL, I'll have to try that!! Thanks!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I use my stretchy armband. It does not interfere with my lifts, because it's... stretchy.

This, then the cord can go in the sleeve of the shirt you're wearing and not get in the way.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Search for Belkin armbands on Amazon. I have one and it's great.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I don't stick it IN my sports bra. I just clip it to the front (I have a Nano). It gets in the way if I put it anywhere else.

i have a shuffle. I run the headphones between my sports bra and my shirt then i clip it on my waistband. if i didn't put it under my shirt, the headphone cord would get in the way all the time.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    is it a regular small ipod size? if so you can buy work out pants that have a special zipper pocket to hold your ipod. A TON of the compression shorts these days have this pocket.
    Also I run the earbuds cord down my back always under my shirt.....
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    When I go to the gym, I take my Kindle to watch shows while I am on the treadmill. When I lift (which I have recently just started), I put the Kindle away. I use machine weights at the moment (until I feel more comfortable). I find that not having music on when lifting helps me keep count of my reps and just to keep focused in general.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can get an armband or you can stick it in your bra :P

Please do not put it in your bra- as there has been a possible correlation between breast cancer and phones being stored there! Go ahead with the arm band :)
  • CarolElaine25
    Options
    I used to put my phone (LG myTouch - http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phones/lg-LGC800VL-mytouch-q) in my bra while working out, but the sweat seeped into some of the buttons and now they don't work quite as well. Now I use an old fashioned cell phone carrying case clipped to my workout pants (Cellet Bergamo Case - http://tinyurl.com/Bcellcase). It stays put, stays out of my way and does the job.
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Walmart carries some Danskin brand workout tops that have an ipod pocket near the top right of the chest.

This! And they are very inexpensive. Maybe $7 USD?
  • BrittanyGQ
    BrittanyGQ Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll get 1000 response for where to put it, so I'm going to go a different route.

Lifting is not just about pushing weight around. There is a very clear, very important mental component to it as well, one that I've only recently realized and one that the vast majority of gym-goers have no clue about. IMO, leave the ipod at home when you are lifting so you can be as focused as possible during each lift.

If you're worried about your ipod, your head isn't where it should be and you're not getting the most out of your workouts.

I understand what you're saying. For me personally, though, it helps me focus MORE on what I'm doing because it blocks out everything else around me... I used to be scared ****less going into the "men's territory" (free weight area) and would worry so much about other people judging me. Now, it's like they're not there. =) Thanks for the responses, everyone!
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I sweat too but my sports bra is the only place where I can put it without it getting in the way.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I wear mine in an armband every time I lift and it doesn't get in the way or loosen at all. The wire for headphones did get in the way, but I got a bluetooth set. I found my armband at Marshall's for $10, but they often times have them for the same price at TJ Maxx, Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, etc.

I've read a couple of posts saying that you should put the iPod down and focus on your lifting. My experience is that music helps drown out any excessive grunting, fellow gym-goers wanting to chat it up, or any other distractions; it helps keep me focused on my training... But, I might just have an undiagnosed case of ADHD or something. :laugh:
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'd wrap it in a papertowel or something and stick it in my bra. I usually put mine on the outside under my left arm and not in between the chesticles. I also have a pair of running shorts that has a zipper pocket that I have found handy on occasion for holding my ipod/iphone.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options

I understand what you're saying. For me personally, though, it helps me focus MORE on what I'm doing because it blocks out everything else around me... I used to be scared ****less going into the "men's territory" (free weight area) and would worry so much about other people judging me. Now, it's like they're not there. =) Thanks for the responses, everyone!
    I used to be the same way... 2 workouts of my phone falling and the music kicking off, and I realized I was more focused on that than my lifting or noticing if people were watching/judging me. For me, I gave up on it, and just stare at myself in the mirror or at the weights moving. Of course, I also go to a tiny fitness center where there's never more than 7 or 8 other people there so even with my mild ADHD, I can pretty easily focus on myself. :ohwell:

Hopefully you can find something cheap to work for you! :flowerforyou: Let me know if the tube sock thing works out. I've been thinking about trying it for running, but I'm also afraid of having a giant white stripe on my arm because I run outside and get tan lines. :laugh:
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

To each his own, but I personally find it very distracting when there are chattering girls, grunting dudes, and people singing or playing their own music aloud without headphones around me. It's easier to focus if I tune them out with my low background music as a sort of white noise buffer.