2 hours of workout straight. Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• BeginnersBootcamp
    BeginnersBootcamp Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Red flags everywhere!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Because I am super obssessed and first day of school is in a month. I am exercising both cardio & strength(toning muscles) (jillian michaels workout videos & others mix) in 2 hours straight(in the morning) but with rest time of 5 mins each workout. Is it just okay? Or super bad?

I'm eating 5-6 small meals a day because it's getting me really hungry throughout the day. Need your thoughts and experiences. - obssessed 21y/o(5"1) girl here. Thank you so much!

P.S. Super hate my fat thighs & muffin top!!!! >.< :((((((

I clicked on your pic that led to a brief scan of your newsfeed. It seems you visit MFP to shape up for an event. Is that right? A healthy lifestyle can take hold better when you stick around longer. You can develop a good sense of healthy diet and exercise in the fitness forum. Dedication is key!

You said you were performing Jillian Michaels workout (among others). Are you following her suggested diet as well? What is an example of your daily 5-6 meals? Are you enjoying your workouts? What is an example of your daily exercises?

I see in your profile that fashion models are your inspiration. "Out" is the anorexic-looking model. Some countries even banned the sickly trend from fashion shows. "In" is the super fit model with muscle definition (and even those are stretched and air-brushed--distorted in magazines). Embrace your body.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    A goal weight of 90 lbs is significantly underweight. Please seek psychiatric help immediately.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You'll burn out within a week, enjoy the binge...
  • PopeyeCT
    PopeyeCT Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to burn fat, longer sessions of lower intensity cause more of the calories to come from fat.

It seems crazy, but if you do 500 calories worth of Jilian Michaels video less of those calories will be from fat than if you took a 500 calorie walk.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A goal weight of 90 lbs is significantly underweight. Please seek psychiatric help immediately.

I didn't even look until you mentioned that.
  • wissywig
    wissywig Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

I see in your profile that fashion models are your inspiration. [/b]Out" [/b] is the anorexic-looking model. Some countries even banned the sickly trend from fashion shows. "In" is the super fit model with muscle definition (and even those are stretched and air-brushed--distorted in magazines). Embrace your body.

I would substitute some different words for those in boldface based on the red flags that are waving violently here.

The anorexic look may be in or out, but the real issue isn't whether that look is fashionable or not.

"Embrace the body you have" --that's the key. Burn your fashion mags. You are headed down a dangerous path, one I have personally walked myself when I was in my 20s. The kind of obsession you're describing, the self loathing of your final sentence...I've been there and done that.

Please message me if you want to talk.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Because I am super obssessed and first day of school is in a month. I am exercising both cardio & strength(toning muscles) (jillian michaels workout videos & others mix) in 2 hours straight(in the morning) but with rest time of 5 mins each workout. Is it just okay? Or super bad?

I'm eating 5-6 small meals a day because it's getting me really hungry throughout the day. Need your thoughts and experiences. - obssessed 21y/o(5"1) girl here. Thank you so much!

P.S. Super hate my fat thighs & muffin top!!!! >.< :((((((

I'm going with bad based upon the context.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    On a basic level there is nothing dangerous, harmful, or bad with working out for 2 hours a day. Millions of people do extremely physical jobs for 8 hours a day. You body should be able to handle it if you are healthy and eat enough.

That aside .. listen to what everyone above is saying about all the non-physical issues your post implies.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    1. What exactly are you "obsessed" with? Working out? Losing weight? Both?
    2. Muscles get bigger, get smaller, or stay the same. They do not "tone," so go ahead and get that word out of your vocabulary.
    3. The number of meals you eat per day means absolutely nothing. It's calories in vs. calories out. If you eat 1500 calories spread out over 6 meals, you'll lose the same amount of weight as you would if you ate only one 1500-calorie meal per day. If your 5-6 "small meals" don't put you in a calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.
    4. Why is your weight goal so low? At your height, a healthy weight range starts at 98 lbs. There's no reason to go below that.
    5. From the sound of it, you probably need help that none of us are qualified to give you.

There's nothing "bad" about working out for 2 hours if you're up to it and you have the energy and enjoy it. However, there are clearly other issues here.
  • sullus
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    On a basic level there is nothing dangerous, harmful, or bad with working out for 2 hours a day. Millions of people do extremely physical jobs for 8 hours a day. You body should be able to handle it if you are healthy and eat enough.

That aside .. listen to what everyone above is saying about all the non-physical issues your post implies.

The difference is those people usually aren't trying to lose weight. They aren't on a reduced calorie diet.

Many of those millions may not be trying to lose weight, but lots are on reduced calorie diets. Not by choice.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    It may be bad if you're overstressing your muscles. also probably burning more of whatever muscles you have left because it already used up your stored fat. I'm no genius at this, just from what I've read and from my experience. I try to workout in the morning and in the evening, just to give my body a chance to recharge. What can happen to you is that your body gets too fatigued and may be prone to injuries, especially when you begin using improper form.
  • sullus
    Options

The difference is those people usually aren't trying to lose weight. They aren't on a reduced calorie diet.

Many of those millions may not be trying to lose weight, but lots are on reduced calorie diets. Not by choice.

What do you mean not by choice? If you're saying some people are just broke and have difficulty buying food okay. If you're suggesting that they are in a calorie deficit because all the work they do. Well studies show that working out doesn't produce weight loss. It's the diet that produces weight loss.

That's 2 valid but irrelevant points you made. I'm not here to hijack this thread. If you want to continue to discuss, feel free to PM me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Depends on the person and the goals. I average 2.5 hours per lifting session, 4x a week. Up to 3 hours each. Not a big deal for me but I wouldn't recommend that for a beginner. Same for an experienced endurance runner, a couple hours at a go would be part of a normal (longer) run. I can definitely see a cardio + lifting workout taking 2 hours too.

Play it by ear and see how you respond and how you feel long-term.

This.

My gut is to lean toward "it's probably to much" only because you seem new/young and I'm not convinced of your goals. But as Dope said- 2 hours of training is more than reasonable under certain circumstances.

I lift 1.5-2 hrs then have 2 hours of dance class- I wouldn't recommend it to anyone- but it can be done.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The time spent working out isn't the problem here. It's OP's attitude toward her body and what her goals are. The workouts are fine, if she's eating enough to compensate for them.
    remember, exercise is for fitness. How much she's eating is what's important for her weight. Her goals are frightening. The fact that she says, at 115 lbs, that she thinks she has a muffin top and fat thighs, is frightening.

When I could, I worked out for 2 hours a day, every day. It wasn't a problem, because I ate an extra 1,000-1,500 calories per day to make up for it.

OP, you need to work on your self-image first, and how you see yourself. Your health is of the utmost importance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I do far more than 2 hours of intense activity many days (a whole lot more on weekends) just because there is work that needs done around our farm. Been doing this for many years.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Context determines if a long workout is good or bad. Your word choices here and in your profile ("obsessed" ... "super hate my") throw a few red flags.

+1 your language causes concern. Also what kristine said about how much you have to lose and your target being of concern.

+1 to mccindy

It depends on intensity and what you are doing. What sullus said above in that many people do way more than 2h a day of physically demanding jobs. You must pace yourself and listen to your body, fuel your workouts and hydrate.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    OP if you're trying to create a massive deficit through exercise, that simply won't work. I am not familiar with the workout routines you're doing, but they might be light workouts, that's the only situation I'd find it workout out 2hrs a day reasonable. For example walking 2hrs a day is ok.

If you don't eat enough calories various issues can arise. Big deficits can cause hormonal issues, slow down weight loss, increase fatigue.If you do what you're suppose to do the way you're suppose to do it, working out 2hrs a day does nothing in terms of weight loss.

For example, your TDEE is 2000 a day, you set your goal to lose 1lbs a week. This will give you a daily intake of 1,500 calories. You eat 1,000 calories, workout for 2hrs and lets say you burn 1,200 calories. Your diary would read 300 net calories, and give you 1,200 calories to eat back. 300 + 1200 = 1,500 net calories. Back to 1lbs weight loss. It's pretty pointless from a weight loss perspective. You can get the same results doing a moderate to high intensity workout about 1hr a day.

Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless. The thing that brings results is "intensity". You can either workout hard and short, or workout soft and long. Can't do both.

There is a caveat, low intensity exercise, for example walking doesn't produce such hormonal stress, thus you can do it for a long time, and it doesn't have such a big impact on appetite.

So instead of assuming like you always do ask OP what there workout routine is.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    OP if you're trying to create a massive deficit through exercise, that simply won't work. I am not familiar with the workout routines you're doing, but they might be light workouts, that's the only situation I'd find it workout out 2hrs a day reasonable. For example walking 2hrs a day is ok.

If you don't eat enough calories various issues can arise. Big deficits can cause hormonal issues, slow down weight loss, increase fatigue.If you do what you're suppose to do the way you're suppose to do it, working out 2hrs a day does nothing in terms of weight loss.

For example, your TDEE is 2000 a day, you set your goal to lose 1lbs a week. This will give you a daily intake of 1,500 calories. You eat 1,000 calories, workout for 2hrs and lets say you burn 1,200 calories. Your diary would read 300 net calories, and give you 1,200 calories to eat back. 300 + 1200 = 1,500 net calories. Back to 1lbs weight loss. It's pretty pointless from a weight loss perspective. You can get the same results doing a moderate to high intensity workout about 1hr a day.

Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless. The thing that brings results is "intensity". You can either workout hard and short, or workout soft and long. Can't do both.

There is a caveat, low intensity exercise, for example walking doesn't produce such hormonal stress, thus you can do it for a long time, and it doesn't have such a big impact on appetite.

What about sport specific training? Weightlifting, MMA, Boxing, etc.
    What about programs based around higher volume or intensity - Smolov, Sheiko, etc.

In a large deficit, it could pose an issue. However, there are programs and indivduals out there training at high thresholds for longer periods of time
  • LolBroScience
    edited May 2015
    Options

What about sport specific training? Weightlifting, MMA, Boxing, etc.
    What about programs based around higher volume or intensity - Smolov, Sheiko, etc.

In a large deficit, it could pose an issue. However, there are programs and indivduals out there training at high thresholds for longer periods of time

It depends how we define "intensity". I am defining intensity as near your max effort. Using something like RPE(Rate Of Perceived Exertion) Where a 1 is like laying in bed, and a 10 is giving every last thing you have at the task at hand. When i am talking about intensity I am talking about the upper limits of RPE around 8-10.

Those higher end athletes, they are in good physical condition. A great indicator of conditioning is recovery ability. James Loehr PhD is a sports psychologist who's main focus is on tennis, he also works with olympic athletes, he has helped some win the gold medal. He was curious why some athletes performed better than others with similar abilities. He eventually discovered after 2years of analyzing the players that, the difference was their rest period.The ones who performed better are the ones who got the most recovery out of their rest period.

The way those athletes you mentioned trained is kind of similar to doing interval training. Imagine running at your on time interval pace for 20mins, can be extremely difficult, assuming you can finish it. But you can do it in a interval fashion in a 1 to 1 ratio for 40mins. You won't be able to run at your on time pace for 40mins. The difference is more work in less time or less work more time. e.g. "You can work out hard and intense, or long and soft."

You realize that even though a session might take a full two hours, you're not actually performing movements or actions during that entire time block right? Programs like Smolov, Sheiko, etc do not have to be geared towards elite level lifters and can still be highly effective (a fairly high RPE and quite a bit of volume).

This discussion has been closed.