2 hours of workout straight. Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    OP if you're trying to create a massive deficit through exercise, that simply won't work. I am not familiar with the workout routines you're doing, but they might be light workouts, that's the only situation I'd find it workout out 2hrs a day reasonable. For example walking 2hrs a day is ok.

If you don't eat enough calories various issues can arise. Big deficits can cause hormonal issues, slow down weight loss, increase fatigue.If you do what you're suppose to do the way you're suppose to do it, working out 2hrs a day does nothing in terms of weight loss.

For example, your TDEE is 2000 a day, you set your goal to lose 1lbs a week. This will give you a daily intake of 1,500 calories. You eat 1,000 calories, workout for 2hrs and lets say you burn 1,200 calories. Your diary would read 300 net calories, and give you 1,200 calories to eat back. 300 + 1200 = 1,500 net calories. Back to 1lbs weight loss. It's pretty pointless from a weight loss perspective. You can get the same results doing a moderate to high intensity workout about 1hr a day.

Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless. The thing that brings results is "intensity". You can either workout hard and short, or workout soft and long. Can't do both.

There is a caveat, low intensity exercise, for example walking doesn't produce such hormonal stress, thus you can do it for a long time, and it doesn't have such a big impact on appetite.

What about sport specific training? Weightlifting, MMA, Boxing, etc.
    What about programs based around higher volume or intensity - Smolov, Sheiko, etc.

In a large deficit, it could pose an issue. However, there are programs and indivduals out there training at high thresholds for longer periods of time

It depends how we define "intensity". I am defining intensity as near your max effort. Using something like RPE(Rate Of Perceived Exertion) Where a 1 is like laying in bed, and a 10 is giving every last thing you have at the task at hand. When i am talking about intensity I am talking about the upper limits of RPE around 8-10.

Those higher end athletes, they are in good physical condition. A great indicator of conditioning is recovery ability. James Loehr PhD is a sports psychologist who's main focus is on tennis, he also works with olympic athletes, he has helped some win the gold medal. He was curious why some athletes performed better than others with similar abilities. He eventually discovered after 2years of analyzing the players that, the difference was their rest period.The ones who performed better are the ones who got the most recovery out of their rest period.

The way those athletes you mentioned trained is kind of similar to doing interval training. Imagine running at your on time interval pace for 20mins, can be extremely difficult, assuming you can finish it. But you can do it in a interval fashion in a 1 to 1 ratio for 40mins. You won't be able to run at your on time pace for 40mins. The difference is more work in less time or less work more time. e.g. "You can work out hard and intense, or long and soft."

So by your arbitrary rules, since the OP is doing a light weighted circuit plus a lifting routine with 5 minute rest periods she should be okay. The circuit wouldn't be intense and since she is taking adequate rest between her heavier sets she's recovering fine (considering most powerlifters take about 5 minutes between sets close to or at their 1RM).

Context is important and she provided that for you, but you ignored it and made generalizations that assumed she's just in it for the calorie burn.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, two hours straight of high intensity workouts just, on a gut-level, feels like overkill. Maybe focus on diet and when you do work out, don't overdo it so you can actually watch your form and not hurt yourself.

There was a point when I was about your age when I was working out 2 hours a day, running long-distance and doing plenty of strength training, but it took me nearly a year of working out and learning to get to that point.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    OP if you're trying to create a massive deficit through exercise, that simply won't work. I am not familiar with the workout routines you're doing, but they might be light workouts, that's the only situation I'd find it workout out 2hrs a day reasonable. For example walking 2hrs a day is ok.

If you don't eat enough calories various issues can arise. Big deficits can cause hormonal issues, slow down weight loss, increase fatigue.If you do what you're suppose to do the way you're suppose to do it, working out 2hrs a day does nothing in terms of weight loss.

For example, your TDEE is 2000 a day, you set your goal to lose 1lbs a week. This will give you a daily intake of 1,500 calories. You eat 1,000 calories, workout for 2hrs and lets say you burn 1,200 calories. Your diary would read 300 net calories, and give you 1,200 calories to eat back. 300 + 1200 = 1,500 net calories. Back to 1lbs weight loss. It's pretty pointless from a weight loss perspective. You can get the same results doing a moderate to high intensity workout about 1hr a day.

Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless. The thing that brings results is "intensity". You can either workout hard and short, or workout soft and long. Can't do both.

There is a caveat, low intensity exercise, for example walking doesn't produce such hormonal stress, thus you can do it for a long time, and it doesn't have such a big impact on appetite.

What about programs based around higher volume or intensity - Smolov, Sheiko, etc.

In a large deficit, it could pose an issue. However, there are programs and indivduals out there training at high thresholds for longer periods of time

It depends how we define "intensity". I am defining intensity as near your max effort. Using something like RPE(Rate Of Perceived Exertion) Where a 1 is like laying in bed, and a 10 is giving every last thing you have at the task at hand. When i am talking about intensity I am talking about the upper limits of RPE around 8-10.

Those higher end athletes, they are in good physical condition. A great indicator of conditioning is recovery ability. James Loehr PhD is a sports psychologist who's main focus is on tennis, he also works with olympic athletes, he has helped some win the gold medal. He was curious why some athletes performed better than others with similar abilities. He eventually discovered after 2years of analyzing the players that, the difference was their rest period.The ones who performed better are the ones who got the most recovery out of their rest period.

The way those athletes you mentioned trained is kind of similar to doing interval training. Imagine running at your on time interval pace for 20mins, can be extremely difficult, assuming you can finish it. But you can do it in a interval fashion in a 1 to 1 ratio for 40mins. You won't be able to run at your on time pace for 40mins. The difference is more work in less time or less work more time. e.g. "You can work out hard and intense, or long and soft."

I prefer two to three hour sessions so I can go to the gym less days (it's far). So I might burn fifty less calories because I'm a bit tired on your two or three. Whoop de do. Still worth multiple hours and my primary reason for my chosen exercise is burning calories. Anything else being the cherry on top

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Too many young adults with eating disorders on MFP. Makes me sad.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

you hurt my feelings. on so many levels.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I would ask, "what?" But it doesn't matter.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You realize that even though a session might take a full two hours, you're not actually performing movements or actions during that entire time block right? Programs like Smolov, Sheiko, etc do not have to be geared towards elite level lifters and can still be highly effective (a fairly high RPE and quite a bit of volume).

I boxed for 3yrs, My workouts where 3-4hrs 4-5 days a week. It was a long time ago, but what i do recall was like, warm up with shadow boxing maybe 30mins, hit the big for 1hr(3mins on 1 min off as an actual boxing match). Rest about 15mins, speed bag for about an hour. Rest 15-20mins, Mits for about an hour, rest and some actual sparing.

But we're talking about sports, not weight loss of muscle building. The only time I would suggest increasing volume with weights if you stalled out for a while. Assuming you had the adequate rest, e.g. deloading taking a week off every 3 months thing like that. If you're training properly, and no progress, then Yes I'd suggest more volume, but at this point your conditioning would be better, you need more stimuli.

But progressive overload is increasing volume...
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

You realize that even though a session might take a full two hours, you're not actually performing movements or actions during that entire time block right? Programs like Smolov, Sheiko, etc do not have to be geared towards elite level lifters and can still be highly effective (a fairly high RPE and quite a bit of volume).

I boxed for 3yrs, My workouts where 3-4hrs 4-5 days a week. It was a long time ago, but what i do recall was like, warm up with shadow boxing maybe 30mins, hit the big for 1hr(3mins on 1 min off as an actual boxing match). Rest about 15mins, speed bag for about an hour. Rest 15-20mins, Mits for about an hour, rest and some actual sparing.

But we're talking about sports, not weight loss of muscle building. The only time I would suggest increasing volume with weights if you stalled out for a while. Assuming you had the adequate rest, e.g. deloading taking a week off every 3 months thing like that. If you're training properly, and no progress, then Yes I'd suggest more volume, but at this point your conditioning would be better, you need more stimuli.

He didn't know that. There's lots he doesn't know about lifting.

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    @Pu_239
    Once again you've gone off on a tangent based on your assumptions, generalities, and completely arbitrary arguments while ignoring the details of the OP's opening post. "Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless." -- a typical comment from you with so many qualifiers that it is meaningless.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The time spent working out isn't the problem here. It's OP's attitude toward her body and what her goals are. The workouts are fine, if she's eating enough to compensate for them.
    remember, exercise is for fitness. How much she's eating is what's important for her weight. Her goals are frightening. The fact that she says, at 115 lbs, that she thinks she has a muffin top and fat thighs, is frightening.

When I could, I worked out for 2 hours a day, every day. It wasn't a problem, because I ate an extra 1,000-1,500 calories per day to make up for it.

OP, you need to work on your self-image first, and how you see yourself. Your health is of the utmost importance.

She's 21 and very short. 115 lbs is not underweight at 5' 1". And, if her profile pic is recent, she does have a muffin top. When I was 21, I weighed about that and I'm 5'6", and I'm never been unhealthy or suffered from an ED. If asked, I'd probably have said my thighs were too big then too (though I'd kill to have those big thighs now).

While I agree that it would be lovely if all young women loved their bodies, her post doesn't sound frightening to me. It sounds fairly normal.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    @Pu_239
    Once again you've gone off on a tangent based on your assumptions, generalities, and completely arbitrary arguments while ignoring the details of the OP's opening post. "Generally, in most situations, working out for more than a hour a day at a moderate to high intensity is pointless." -- a typical comment from you with so many qualifiers that it is meaningless.

Lol, good summary.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    The time spent working out isn't the problem here. It's OP's attitude toward her body and what her goals are. The workouts are fine, if she's eating enough to compensate for them.
    remember, exercise is for fitness. How much she's eating is what's important for her weight. Her goals are frightening. The fact that she says, at 115 lbs, that she thinks she has a muffin top and fat thighs, is frightening.

When I could, I worked out for 2 hours a day, every day. It wasn't a problem, because I ate an extra 1,000-1,500 calories per day to make up for it.

OP, you need to work on your self-image first, and how you see yourself. Your health is of the utmost importance.

She's 21 and very short. 115 lbs is not underweight at 5' 1". And, if her profile pic is recent, she does have a muffin top. When I was 21, I weighed about that and I'm 5'6", and I'm never been unhealthy or suffered from an ED. If asked, I'd probably have said my thighs were too big then too (though I'd kill to have those big thighs now).

While I agree that it would be lovely if all young women loved their bodies, her post doesn't sound frightening to me. It sounds fairly normal.

Multiple use of the word "obsessed", expressed self hate, and a goal weight of 90 pounds doesn't combine to a frightening end state to you?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited May 2015
    Options

Multiple use of the word "obsessed", expressed self hate, and a goal weight of 90 pounds doesn't combine to a frightening end state to you?

Without knowing her, not really. It certainly could be problematic, but not necessarily. I raised two girls to successful and healthy women. They tend to be dramatic at that age.
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Without knowing her, not really. It certainly could be problematic, but not necessarily. I raised two girls to successful and healthy women. They tend to be dramatic at that age.

Odds are, problematic.

She's looking at 2 hours of exercise to get in shape in a month ... with an unhealthy goal weight ... the word "obsessed" has meaning ... her profile says she wants to get in shape so she can love herself, not exactly the most healthy self relationship.

How many red flags does she need to display before the likeliness of "problematic" is evident to you?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Mezzie1024 wrote: »
    You said "obsessed" twice in your first post. Now, in general, I see no reason to limit healthy activity. At my fittest, I did 2-4 hours of activity a day (varying intensity), but I did it because I enjoyed it. I had no goals I was obsessed over; it was just what I did for fun. I also properly fueled my body for that activity.

Think about whether or not you're setting yourself up for injury (if you're doing the same routine daily, it sounds like you might be), and whether or not you've created too large of a calorie deficit to get the energy and nutrients you need. In the end, only you can decide if it's too much activity and/or too little food. Be kind to yourself.

This. If you are actually going all out and aren't mixing things up and have a structured program that is well rounded, you will most likely break at some point. Over-training Syndrome (OTS) is a thing, and I can personally tell you it sucks. Thankfully my legs started breaking down (and cramping) and I was able to catch it before furthering the depression, lowered V02 max and all the other negative effects I was starting to experience.

Rest is important. You didn't gain weight overnight and you can't lose it overnight. A consistent healthy calorie deficit will help your thighs and muffin top go down. Exercise is good for your health as long as it's done right. However your self-image isn't necessarily going to be fixed by either of these things....

Best of luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Odds are, problematic.

She's looking at 2 hours of exercise to get in shape in a month ... with an unhealthy goal weight ... the word "obsessed" has meaning ... her profile says she wants to get in shape so she can love herself, not exactly the most healthy self relationship.

How many red flags does she need to display before the likeliness of "problematic" is evident to you?

Clearly you know her better than I.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

As i said, if you stall out weight won't be increasing, hence the only optoin is add more sets and reps. e.g. increase volume.

which is progressive overload.
  • LolBroScience
    edited May 2015
    Options

As i said, if you stall out weight won't be increasing, hence the only optoin is add more sets and reps. e.g. increase volume.

Wait, what? So... you only implement progressive overload when you stall?
  • brianpperkins
    Options

Odds are, problematic.

I simply read her posts and profile. What in her post and profile combines to indicate her desire to exercise two hours per day is based on a healthy plan?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Odds are, problematic.

I simply read her posts and profile. What in her post and profile combines to indicate her desire to exercise two hours per day is based on a healthy plan?

Nothing.
This discussion has been closed.