2 hours of workout straight. Good or bad?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The time spent working out isn't the problem here. It's OP's attitude toward her body and what her goals are. The workouts are fine, if she's eating enough to compensate for them.
    remember, exercise is for fitness. How much she's eating is what's important for her weight. Her goals are frightening. The fact that she says, at 115 lbs, that she thinks she has a muffin top and fat thighs, is frightening.

When I could, I worked out for 2 hours a day, every day. It wasn't a problem, because I ate an extra 1,000-1,500 calories per day to make up for it.

OP, you need to work on your self-image first, and how you see yourself. Your health is of the utmost importance.

She's 21 and very short. 115 lbs is not underweight at 5' 1". And, if her profile pic is recent, she does have a muffin top. When I was 21, I weighed about that and I'm 5'6", and I'm never been unhealthy or suffered from an ED. If asked, I'd probably have said my thighs were too big then too (though I'd kill to have those big thighs now).

While I agree that it would be lovely if all young women loved their bodies, her post doesn't sound frightening to me. It sounds fairly normal.

Multiple use of the word "obsessed", expressed self hate, and a goal weight of 90 pounds doesn't combine to a frightening end state to you?

Without knowing her, not really. It certainly could be problematic, but not necessarily. I raised two girls to successful and healthy women. They tend to be dramatic at that age.

Odds are, problematic.

She's looking at 2 hours of exercise to get in shape in a month ... with an unhealthy goal weight ... the word "obsessed" has meaning ... her profile says she wants to get in shape so she can love herself, not exactly the most healthy self relationship.

How many red flags does she need to display before the likeliness of "problematic" is evident to you?

Clearly you know her better than I.

I simply read her posts and profile. What in her post and profile combines to indicate her desire to exercise two hours per day is based on a healthy plan?

What?? I don't get it, maybe you're not understanding what I am saying. Assuming a hypertrophy program, where adequate nutrition and rest is met. To increase strength and muscle size workload has to increase. Workload being reps * sets within a given unit of time. e.g. doing 5 reps with 1 set, resting 10hrs and doing 1 set 5 reps again, is more time compared to 1 set 5 reps with a 1 minute rest in between sets. Hence time is important.

workload = reps * sets * weight

To improve workload has to increase. If you stall out, the given situation above. Reps and weight will be a constant. Lets say you do 8 reps 3 sets with 50bs and you're not improving.

workload = 8 * 3 * 50
    1200 = 8*3*50

Since weight and reps aren't improving, the only option is to increase sets, lets say 4 sets now

workload = 8 * 4 * 50
    1600= 8*4*50

Workload has increase, a greater stimuli is provided now, more potential for growth now. If you want to call this "progressive overload" then ok. As long as I can remember from bodybuilding(1997), "progressive overload" was adding "more weight to the bar over time." But in the situation provided, you can't add more weight to the bar, since you're stalled.

Quoting the right person before going on another tangent helps a lot.

You're more than welcome to tell the people who keep quoting me and asking me questions about my "examples" to stop. Due out of respect, I answer them.

This statement from you has what to do with your quoting the wrong person?
    About you mentioning tangents, the tangents wouldn't exist if people didn't quote me. So as mentioned, you should mention it to them, not to me.
    if you just stopped talking- we couldn't quote you and then we'd all be happy. No one would disagree with you- so you could silently be right all the time.

That would be great, wouldn't it? Highly unlikely to happen though. Good thing we can pick and choose which posts to read and which to ignore.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The time spent working out isn't the problem here. It's OP's attitude toward her body and what her goals are. The workouts are fine, if she's eating enough to compensate for them.
    remember, exercise is for fitness. How much she's eating is what's important for her weight. Her goals are frightening. The fact that she says, at 115 lbs, that she thinks she has a muffin top and fat thighs, is frightening.

When I could, I worked out for 2 hours a day, every day. It wasn't a problem, because I ate an extra 1,000-1,500 calories per day to make up for it.

OP, you need to work on your self-image first, and how you see yourself. Your health is of the utmost importance.

She's 21 and very short. 115 lbs is not underweight at 5' 1". And, if her profile pic is recent, she does have a muffin top. When I was 21, I weighed about that and I'm 5'6", and I'm never been unhealthy or suffered from an ED. If asked, I'd probably have said my thighs were too big then too (though I'd kill to have those big thighs now).

While I agree that it would be lovely if all young women loved their bodies, her post doesn't sound frightening to me. It sounds fairly normal.

Multiple use of the word "obsessed", expressed self hate, and a goal weight of 90 pounds doesn't combine to a frightening end state to you?

Without knowing her, not really. It certainly could be problematic, but not necessarily. I raised two girls to successful and healthy women. They tend to be dramatic at that age.

Odds are, problematic.

She's looking at 2 hours of exercise to get in shape in a month ... with an unhealthy goal weight ... the word "obsessed" has meaning ... her profile says she wants to get in shape so she can love herself, not exactly the most healthy self relationship.

How many red flags does she need to display before the likeliness of "problematic" is evident to you?

I simply read her posts and profile. What in her post and profile combines to indicate her desire to exercise two hours per day is based on a healthy plan?

What?? I don't get it, maybe you're not understanding what I am saying. Assuming a hypertrophy program, where adequate nutrition and rest is met. To increase strength and muscle size workload has to increase. Workload being reps * sets within a given unit of time. e.g. doing 5 reps with 1 set, resting 10hrs and doing 1 set 5 reps again, is more time compared to 1 set 5 reps with a 1 minute rest in between sets. Hence time is important.

To improve workload has to increase. If you stall out, the given situation above. Reps and weight will be a constant. Lets say you do 8 reps 3 sets with 50bs and you're not improving.

workload = 8 * 3 * 50
    1200 = 8*3*50

Since weight and reps aren't improving, the only option is to increase sets, lets say 4 sets now

workload = 8 * 4 * 50
    1600= 8*4*50

Workload has increase, a greater stimuli is provided now, more potential for growth now. If you want to call this "progressive overload" then ok. As long as I can remember from bodybuilding(1997), "progressive overload" was adding "more weight to the bar over time." But in the situation provided, you can't add more weight to the bar, since you're stalled.

You're more than welcome to tell the people who keep quoting me and asking me questions about my "examples" to stop. Due out of respect, I answer them.

About you mentioning tangents, the tangents wouldn't exist if people didn't quote me. So as mentioned, you should mention it to them, not to me.
    None of your posts in this thread address an OP with a goal weight that is far too low looking to use two hours of exercise per day to reach it in a short time. The tangents wouldn't exist if you could address the OP (any OP for that matter) in any meaningful way. The post of mine you quoted had nothing to do with your tangents, you simply failed to quote anything having to do with something you said.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »

Odds are, problematic.

workload = 8 * 3 * 50
    1200 = 8*3*50

workload = 8 * 4 * 50
    1600= 8*4*50

if you just stopped talking- we couldn't quote you and then we'd all be happy. No one would disagree with you- so you could silently be right all the time.

That would be great, wouldn't it? Highly unlikely to happen though. Good thing we can pick and choose which posts to read and which to ignore.

Unfortunately- we can do that with threads- but less with posts- it does get confusing when someone is an active part of the conversation but is... well you know.

I've gotten pretty good at skimming his stuff- but I find myself having to go back an read it to make sure I'm putting replies I WANT to read in context. :(
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Because I am super obssessed and first day of school is in a month. I am exercising both cardio & strength(toning muscles) (jillian michaels workout videos & others mix) in 2 hours straight(in the morning) but with rest time of 5 mins each workout. Is it just okay? Or super bad?

I'm eating 5-6 small meals a day because it's getting me really hungry throughout the day. Need your thoughts and experiences. - obssessed 21y/o(5"1) girl here. Thank you so much!

P.S. Super hate my fat thighs & muffin top!!!! >.< :((((((

It's not bad. You're doing primarily cardio mixed in with light resistance training. Just ensure you are adding in a few days of rest and you'll be fine. Need to allow your body adequate time to heal and recover.

You may want to mix in weight training - check out any of the multitude of female body builders (don't worry you won't look like that) as they can help you build muscle in a target area to get the look you want.
  • 1nspiredgirl
    1nspiredgirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, I never really thought that a lot of you will reply to my thread. I want to thank all of you for taking time to give your tips and advice even though some of you kinda hated me(I guess?) for being so negative and not loving my own body. Maybe I should change my username to 1nspiredgirl to 1nsecuregirl? Just Kidding. :) think everyone of us experienced and still experiencing insecurities in some point of our lives. So I guess it’s a little bit normal for me to post this thread, well maybe I just wrote the not-so-right words in it, and I’m sorry for using those words.

Anyways, some of my friends have the same height as me, their weight is lower than 100 lbs and they don’t have large thighs and muffin top so I’m thinking that maybe I can have that body too. I have a pear shaped body(as far as I know), I am bottom heavy.
    • Waist = 28 inches
    • Muffin Top = 34 inches (sometimes 35) :(
    • Hips = 37 inches
    • Thighs = 22 inches each, pretty big huh? I’m short so doesn’t really look good. I guess my thighs are larger than my moms. :/
    • Weight - 110lbs

Don’t know if this is normal but doesn’t look normal to me.

I’ve been doing different workouts for 2 years already but on/off. Whenever I feel like I’m getting fat, I’ll continue the workout, when I feel like I’m losing weight, I’m gonna stop and so on and so forth. And my measurements are not improving so this time, I want to take it more seriously. To be honest, I thought that working out longer will help me lose weight fast. And if I don’t do it every day it will not give me results, that’s why I want to do it 2 hours a day, every day. I’ve been doing this routine for 4 consecutive days already but I don’t feel body pains at all(okay, maybe a little pain but it will not last). Although I feel hungry all the time so I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals(not all healthy but without fats and with rice).

These workouts are for stomach, muffin tops, thighs, squats, arms and cardio.(30 mins each, some are combined in 1 video). Since most of you said that this is not a good idea, I’m thinking of dividing them and do it every other day, alternate? Will it still give me results if I don’t do them every day?

I can’t really quote each one of you, one by one in one post right? So this post is for everyone who replied to this thread, literally everyone, I read all your replies. Hoping you’ll be able to see this post and send replies again. THANK YOU and SORRY guys! :)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow! First of all, I never really thought that a lot of you will reply to my thread. I want to thank all of you for taking time to give your tips and advice even though some of you kinda hated me(I guess?) for being so negative and not loving my own body. Maybe I should change my username to 1nspiredgirl to 1nsecuregirl? Just Kidding. :) think everyone of us experienced and still experiencing insecurities in some point of our lives. So I guess it’s a little bit normal for me to post this thread, well maybe I just wrote the not-so-right words in it, and I’m sorry for using those words.

Anyways, some of my friends have the same height as me, their weight is lower than 100 lbs and they don’t have large thighs and muffin top so I’m thinking that maybe I can have that body too. I have a pear shaped body(as far as I know), I am bottom heavy.
    • Waist = 28 inches
    • Muffin Top = 34 inches (sometimes 35) :(
    • Hips = 37 inches
    • Thighs = 22 inches each, pretty big huh? I’m short so doesn’t really look good. I guess my thighs are larger than my moms. :/
    • Weight - 110lbs

Don’t know if this is normal but doesn’t look normal to me.

I’ve been doing different workouts for 2 years already but on/off. Whenever I feel like I’m getting fat, I’ll continue the workout, when I feel like I’m losing weight, I’m gonna stop and so on and so forth. And my measurements are not improving so this time, I want to take it more seriously. To be honest, I thought that working out longer will help me lose weight fast. And if I don’t do it every day it will not give me results, that’s why I want to do it 2 hours a day, every day. I’ve been doing this routine for 4 consecutive days already but I don’t feel body pains at all(okay, maybe a little pain but it will not last). Although I feel hungry all the time so I eat 5-6 times a day, small meals(not all healthy but without fats and with rice).

These workouts are for stomach, muffin tops, thighs, squats, arms and cardio.(30 mins each, some are combined in 1 video). Since most of you said that this is not a good idea, I’m thinking of dividing them and do it every other day, alternate? Will it still give me results if I don’t do them every day?

I can’t really quote each one of you, one by one in one post right? So this post is for everyone who replied to this thread, literally everyone, I read all your replies. Hoping you’ll be able to see this post and send replies again. THANK YOU and SORRY guys! :)

Okay, I think you missed a lot of the key points from this thread; though it did get side-tracked by some nonsense. Here's the thing, if you are not achieving your weight-loss goals then your nutrition is poor, period. You can exercise yourself into the ground but if your nutrition sucks then so will your weight loss results. First and foremost that must be correct and based on what I'm reading, it isn't. I'm going to re-post my previous post for you, please re-read.

It sounds like your obsession is borderline unhealthy. Time in the gym doesn't not necessarily correlate to results and in regards to fat-loss; your nutrition is going to dictate that more than anything. If that's not on-point then the exercise matters less.

Meal frequency: There is not much evidence supporting the use of 5-6 meals per day for weight-loss, but from a behavioral standpoint it can be an effective method of managing your hunger. As long as your nutrition supports healthy fat-loss and the 5-6 meals helps you manage your hunger without binging and getting off course, then stay with it.

Time in the gym: Exercise length should also be related to how frequent your are training and how that training relates to your physical goals. I train roughly 2 hours when I'm in the gym, but I also only train 3 times per week and then I have 4 days to recover. If you're training every day, then it's probably way unnecessary. Find yourself a structured strength training program that supports your fitness goals, again; exercise matters less if your nutrition is not on-point. Set some physical goals, be it run a mile faster, get stronger in certain lifts, do "x" number of push-ups and pull-ups, whatever it might be; just find a goal not related to weight-loss. In doing this it will help you set a program that works towards those goals and is more effective for your overall health. Working hard doesn't matter if you're not also working smart! - Cheers
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thank you for coming back and clarifying. I am sure the thread is daunting :P

A couple things - Don't compare yourself to friends. Even if their height is the same, they may not have the same body shape as you, so comparing isn't helpful. You also don't know how healthy they are, really.

While very few people love their bodies all the time, there is so accepting you still have to do. You are you, and you will not be someone else. Models are literally one in million and are usually photoshopped, so even they don't look like them. Actor and actresses are taught how to dress and pose to show their assets and minimize their flaws in the public. You may envy your friends for one aspect of their body, but I am sure they envy yours as well. I was always thin as a teenager, but I would have killed for womanly curves. My friend envied my flat stomach, but all I thought was that I looked like a boy.

I feel like your program is overkill, and is more likely to backfire than help for three reasons. One, you will burn out and give up. Two, you will end up very hungry and may binge. Three, without sufficient recovery, your muscles will not get stronger. When you exercise, you create little tears in your muscles. It is the repair of these tears that builds muscle. Repair happens at rest. If you keep exercising/damaging the muscles without letting them repair, you are doing more harm than good. This is why you should not work the same muscle groups two days in a row.

A decent guideline is to aim to do a full body workout 3 times a week, or a upper/lower body split 4 times (So that you do each group twice). Unfortunately, you can't choose where you lose fat from, so you may lose it from your hips and waist last. The good news with that is that you may notice a much bigger change in a smaller weight loss than you think is this is the only place you have to lose.
  • daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    First of all, you can't spot reduce. There are no exercises that will specifically target certain body parts to lose weight.

Secondly, your goal weight is too low. When I first started, I initially aimed to go probably too low for my height. I've since readjusted my goal to something a bit higher and I'm treating it more as a general guide. I think you would perhaps be better using measurements and the way your body looks as an indicator of progress. Since I started making progress, I've noticed changes in my body that I like and I'm realising that it's not the actual weight that matters, but instead the way my body looks. If I only need to lose 15lbs instead of 30lbs to look the way I'd like to (or close to it) then so be it!

Thirdly, alternating the exercises is probably a good idea. Rest is important for reducing risk of injury and to allow your muscles to repair themselves. That's why a lot of people will have distinct leg/arm/cardio/whatever days when they work out. While they're working arms, their legs are recovering, when they do cardio, their arms are recovering, etc. and in among these, most people will have genuine rest days - days where they don't specifically exercise (which isn't the same as not exercising at all - on my rest days from the gym, I do still try to hit 10k steps). Try and build in at least two days of rest (not back-to-back). I tend to choose a day at the weekend as my rest day so I have the time to do other things.

I think the important thing is to find a sustainable exercise - something you can do and continue doing. When you hit your goal weight, there's no point in alternating between exercising and not to stay there, instead continue to exercise but increase what you eat to maintenence and eat back some of your exercise calories. That will keep you at the same sort of weight while still getting regular exercise.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Odds are, problematic.

workload = 8 * 3 * 50
    1200 = 8*3*50

workload = 8 * 4 * 50
    1600= 8*4*50

Stop talking and start listening in a field that you think you know so much about.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If your body can handle it and you enjoy it, why not? I love a good two hour workout. I wouldn't pressure myself to do that everyday, though
  • wissywig
    wissywig Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Wow! First of all, I never really thought that a lot of you will reply to my thread. I want to thank all of you for taking time to give your tips and advice even though some of you kinda hated me(I guess?) for being so negative and not loving my own body.

I certainly hope you didn't take this feeling away from what I posted (very far upthread now, before the odd bickering began). I sincerely doubt anyone "hated" you for anything you said. For my part, I was saddened to see the self loathing your post exhibited because I can relate to it. Mostly I just wanted to help you if I could, but I really hope you didn't infer any negativity directed at you, because there was none intended.

You owe no one an apology. This thread got derailed.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    wissywig wrote: »
    Wow! First of all, I never really thought that a lot of you will reply to my thread. I want to thank all of you for taking time to give your tips and advice even though some of you kinda hated me(I guess?) for being so negative and not loving my own body.

I certainly hope you didn't take this feeling away from what I posted (very far upthread now, before the odd bickering began). I sincerely doubt anyone "hated" you for anything you said. For my part, I was saddened to see the self loathing your post exhibited because I can relate to it. Mostly I just wanted to help you if I could, but I really hope you didn't infer any negativity directed at you, because there was none intended.

You owe no one an apology. This thread got derailed.

This thread is over a month old.
  • wissywig
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    This thread is over a month old.

And?
  • NordicLifter78
    NordicLifter78 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    angry-dwight.gif
  • wissywig
    Options
    OP/inspiredgirl, apparently people are taking exception to my trying to communicate with you for reasons unknown...maybe we're not supposed to reply to threads that are more than a few days old? I don't know. I'm relatively new to these forums. But if you would like to talk, please message me. Otherwise someone's head might explode, and I don't want to be responsible for that...
  • quintoespada
    quintoespada Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    if you're hungry, eat or drink more! i did this with p90x and i still lost weight. not only that, but 2 hours of intense cardio will burn a LOT of carlories. you should eat some of them back. as long as you burn 500 of the calories you eat working out (or create a deficit by not working out and cutting calories by eating less), you'll lose 1-2 pounds per week/every two weeks. if you overwork your body, you'll give up a lot sooner and gain all that weight back. i have experience with it. i know.
This discussion has been closed.