I am a Sweetaholic

Options
2»

Replies

• saeku
    saeku Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    That can work for some people, as evident of some replies in this topic. Many low carbers, including myself feel that once we cut them out, the cravings go away, we have no desire for them anymore. I also noticed after a few weeks of something like keto, I can incorporate them to some degree with no problem e.g. eat them in moderation.

I don't do keto but I recently upped my protein intake a lot and it's massively reduced my desire for sweet food. Maybe that's related.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    jgriffit91 wrote: »
    That can work for some people, as evident of some replies in this topic. Many low carbers, including myself feel that once we cut them out, the cravings go away, we have no desire for them anymore. I also noticed after a few weeks of something like keto, I can incorporate them to some degree with no problem e.g. eat them in moderation.

I don't do keto but I recently upped my protein intake a lot and it's massively reduced my desire for sweet food. Maybe that's related.

Weight loss is calories in/calories out. Type of food is for nutritional balance.
  • jules6669mfp
    jules6669mfp Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I allow myself a treat but I limit the amount I eat. I gave up my coke cola and believe me I Never ever thought that would happen. I had one a while back at a restaurant and it was too sweet that I just couldn't drink it. Now, I love sugar-free fudgicle sand at 40 calories a pop you can't beat it. If I want a candy I log it and call it a day. I used to eat a whole bag of cookies and cream kisses at one sitting. Thought I was enjoying them while reading. I swear, I no longer crave them. It can happen and you can do it. I think it's important not to deprive yourself of anything, just fit it in and don't overdo it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    jgriffit91 wrote: »

I think if someone eats really carb-heavy balancing out their macros can definitely help, especially if they have any blood sugar issues at all or even tend to be sleep deprived.

For that matter, getting enough sleep/feeling rested can help (which is why mamapeach is right, that you don't want to give up caffeine at the same time if you consume it).

IME, it's really common to perceive yourself as craving sugar when you are really tired or have low blood sugar or low energy, as the body often becomes used to using sugar to grab quick energy. If I find myself wanting sugar in a hard to ignore way (which is not that common now that I'm out of the habit and eat balanced macros, but did happen when I gave up caffeine during Lent), I try to have something like greek yogurt (ideally with some fat) or nuts or, if necessary, fruit (sugar, of course, but a slower hit so less likely to result in you soon being tired again or wanting more), or even just a cup of coffee/tea.

One reason I asked OP for more information is that I think the answer is different depending on whether it's a taste desire vs. actual craving and the timing/circumstances surrounding the craving.