What is Natural Food Anyway?

Options

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, because it's natural.
    Including Hemlock!
    No. Raw honey straight from the hive is a chemically processed product.
    I think this is dumb but if you believe everything in existence on this earth counts as natural fine, why are you even talking about this?

Functionally Natural does not equal Healthy.

Tell me how bees can make honey without .. processing nectar .. with chemicals ..
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Stop feeding the troll. There is just no point.

I dunno, I think we can solve some major problems here.

Obesity is unnatural. Nothing on earth is unnatural. Therefore obesity does not exist on earth. Huzzah!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This goes back to "natural" .. I find humans just as natural as bees, and therefore their processes are just as natural as the bees. (tip: I dont believe a single thing on this planet is "unnatural")

I can say I don't believe a single thing on this planet is blue, but it won't make it true.

nat·u·ral/ Show Spelled [nach-er-uhl, nach-ruhl]
    adjective
    1. existing in or formed by nature ( opposed to artificial ): a natural bridge.
    2. based on the state of things in nature; constituted by nature: Growth is a natural process.
    3. of or pertaining to nature or the universe: natural beauty.
    4. of, pertaining to, or occupied with the study of natural science: conducting natural experiments.
    5. in a state of nature; uncultivated, as land.

na·ture/ Show Spelled [ney-cher]
    noun
    1. the material world, especially as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities.
    2. the natural world as it exists without human beings or civilization.
    3. the elements of the natural world, as mountains, trees, animals, or rivers.
    4. natural scenery.
    5. the universe, with all its phenomena.
  • sullus
    Options

Answer the following, and I'll go away:

1. Tell me how nectar can get to Honey without chemical processing (addition of enzymes), and mechanical processing (evaporation).

2. Tell me why it's oh so very different when humans perform the same process.
  • sullus
    Options
    This goes back to "natural" .. I find humans just as natural as bees, and therefore their processes are just as natural as the bees. (tip: I dont believe a single thing on this planet is "unnatural")

I can say I don't believe a single thing on this planet is blue, but it won't make it true.

adjective
    2. based on the state of things in nature; constituted by nature: Growth is a natural process.
    4. of, pertaining to, or occupied with the study of natural science: conducting natural experiments.

noun
    1. the material world, especially as surrounding humankind and existing independently of human activities.
    4. natural scenery.

Which includes .. humans.

I don't define humans as "outside of nature"
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options

I dunno, I think we can solve some major problems here.

Obesity is unnatural. Nothing on earth is unnatural. Therefore obesity does not exist on earth. Huzzah!

Or all obese are aliens?!
  • jwdieter
    Options
    Or all obese are aliens?!

Sorry, "natural" definition changed to everything in the universe. ALTHOUGH, there is a loophole for alternate dimensions, but that would be an exclusive definition of universe that we could change at any time depending on the whim of the definer.
  • bcattoes
    Options

adjective

noun
    4. natural scenery.

Your definitions don't matter. Words already have definitions.
  • jwdieter
    Options

Damnit man! I just solved obesity! Next on the list for definitional extinction: ugly.
  • sullus
    Options

Damnit man! I just solved obesity! Next on the list for definitional extinction: ugly.

No you didn't. Obesity occurs, and is therefore natural.
  • sullus
    Options

adjective

noun
    4. natural scenery.

Contradictory definitions. So humans aren't one of "all the phenomena" in the universe?
  • jwdieter
    Options

Obesity is unnatural, therefore it can't occur. You are wrong.
  • sullus
    Options

Obesity is unnatural, therefore it can't occur. You are wrong.

You're not .. good .. at this, are you?
  • Matt82007
    Matt82007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I boil it down to, could this food have been made before the cotton gin. With that in mind, not all natural food is good for you.
  • bcattoes
    Options

adjective

noun
    4. natural scenery.

Contradictory definitions. So humans aren't one of "all the phenomena" in the universe?

Maybe one or two.

phe·nom·e·na/ Show Spelled [fi-nom-uh-nuh] Show IPA
    noun
    a plural of phenomenon.

phenomenon
    noun, plural phe·nom·e·na/ Show Spelled [-nuh]
    1. a fact, occurrence, or circumstance observed or observable: to study the phenomena of nature.
    2. something that is impressive or extraordinary.
    3. a remarkable or exceptional person; prodigy; wonder.
    4. Philosophy .
    a. an appearance or immediate object of awareness in experience.
    b. Kantianism. a thing as it appears to and is constructed by the mind, as distinguished from a noumenon, or thing-in-itself.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options

vomit = cottage cheese. That's not ridiculous at all. :huh:

Of course it isn't. Cottage cheese is cows' milk that has rennet, a substance obtained from calves' stomach juices, added. The addition of the acid/enzyme causes the fats to curdle and separate from the whey. It is exactly the same chemical process. If calves puked, they'd produce cottage cheese.

An alternative is to add something like lemon juice instead, which is how you get paneer, often know as Indian cheese.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is there to hear it... did it make a sound?
  • jwdieter
    Options
    You're not .. good .. at this, are you?

Your objective: make up definitions that invalidate meaningful discussion.

Just following your lead here. My made up definition trumps yours.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If a tree falls in the woods, and nobody is there to hear it... did it make a sound?

and if a man speaks where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong ?

(I have that t-shirt - from Minnesota)
  • sullus
    Options

and if a man speaks where no woman can hear him, is he still wrong ?

(I have that t-shirt - from Minnesota)

"If this band was in a forest, and a tree fell on them, would they still suck?" - Butthead