militart diet

Options
Hi.
i am wantinv to try the military diet for 3 days. They say u lose approximately 10 lbs by the end of the 3 days. Any success stories? Any bad ones?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Do a search. It is a fad diet with no association with the military that makes promises it cannot deliver. You might lose some water weight which you will regain when you eat real food ... that's it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The military diet is a sub-1200 calorie fad diet that claims that eating a combo of hot dogs, ice cream, coffee, and fruit creates a magic fat burning phenomenon that will jump start weight loss. Its bunk and relies on it's name--military--to give it an air of legitimacy. In summary, it's stupid.
  • sassyjassy1222
    sassyjassy1222 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yea idk why they call is military diet. And i dont know anything about. Or if its healthy. I just know its been brought up to me since my fam and friends know im on a weight loss journey and thought id get input from here
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you even googled it?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting isn't going to help you.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    Lol hot dogs and icecream. Sounds too good to b true
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    No i havent googled it. It was brought up in passing in a grp discussion with friends and fam.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    You eat too little on it ... it doesn't teach sustainable methods ... it is a waste of time.
  • Dave55412
    Dave55412 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It sounds similar to the Eating Man's diet my mom used to go on. Eating under 1000 calories one day and 1500 the next. The eating days are the same ratio; 3 on and 4 off. It was very difficult for her on the under calorie days because she was basically starving herself those 3 days. It worked when she was on it, but she couldn't stay on it because of being hungry all the time.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    Yea i definitely dont wanna b hungry all the time. And i am trying to eat clean. And while 10lbs in 3days sound amazing. I dont wanna sabotage my routine i got going now.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You can drop a bunch of weight if you go low sodium, drink lots of water and go low-carb. Stay in your calories and WOOSH goes the water weight. I think I saw something like 5 lbs disappear pretty quickly by cutting back on the pre-packaged stuff I was eating (excess sodium) and upping my water intake. It wasn't "real" weight loss.

That's all these kinds of diets will do - push water weight out so it SEEMS like you've lost a lot. Go back to your usual eating habits and it'll all come back.

It's not worth bothering. Eat what you like, stay in your calories, and stick with it for 4-6 weeks. You'll see sustainable weight loss :)

~Lyssa
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is on my short list of stupid diets.

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/3-day-diet

MFP works really well. Weigh all your food and find out what logging teaches you. You can lose weight on regular food, portioned smaller.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I really thought this said "milifart diet". I was really hoping you were going to tell me that you were aiming to fart more often. Bummer.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    I really thought this said "milifart diet". I was really hoping you were going to tell me that you were aiming to fart more often. Bummer.

Lol. I wish weight loss was as easy as farting a bunch. Sorry for the typo.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    What an apropos typo.

It does seem like exactly the sort of diet that base-bunny types would try. Militarts!

Even if you did lose weight on a diet like this, it would come back as soon as you revert to normal eating.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I saw militart diet and got really excited and thought it was a diet about tarts. And then I was going to ask if strawberry tartlets are included because omg delicious.
  • vinbar1
    vinbar1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on the military diet for my fifth week. You will lose weight on this diet if you follow its concepts. You will NOT lose 10 lbs in one week unless you are very overweight. I do very little exercise and have a very sediment job and I have lost 2 lbs every week and I am not starving myself. I also am not depriving myself. I have strayed from the menu and just kept my calories on the 1st three days the same. and I still lost 2 lbs that week. You can not eat 3000 calories on all the days off and lose weight. You still need to eat around your recommended calorie intake but you can have an off day and still lose weight. This diet works great with the myfitnesspal. You will track your meals and calories and this will help you make the right eating habits. And yes I can still have Ice cream and potato chips as a snack when I crave them and I love potato chips. I do think the one thing you can not skip is the grapefruit. I skipped this 1 week and my results were not as good as the rest of the week. Following the diet to the letter I lost 4 lbs after the 1st three days and gained 2 by the time I started the next week. But I always ended with 2 lbs lost. My wife did this for 1 week and got the same results but she said it was no different then the results that she got on weight watches. Yet I am able to keep on this diet better then she can keep on her diet. I think it is because mentally you are only dieting 3 out of 7 days. The other 4 days you are just eating right. Feel free to ask me any questions about this diet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Military diet is stupid faddishness which will lead to the same old yo-yo

Playing with water weight

If you're eating very low calories on 3 days and at maintenance at 4 you are clearly doing CICO, so I don't understand the strictures when you could select your own foods to that calorie count ...or possibly it's a form of intermittent fasting
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I saw militart diet and got really excited and thought it was a diet about tarts. And then I was going to ask if strawberry tartlets are included because omg delicious.

Lol... next time ill check my spelling. Typing harder on phone. But the convos over the typo are priceless lol
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    vinbar1 wrote: »
    I am on the military diet for my fifth week. You will lose weight on this diet if you follow its concepts. You will NOT lose 10 lbs in one week unless you are very overweight. I do very little exercise and have a very sediment job and I have lost 2 lbs every week and I am not starving myself. I also am not depriving myself. I have strayed from the menu and just kept my calories on the 1st three days the same. and I still lost 2 lbs that week. You can not eat 3000 calories on all the days off and lose weight. You still need to eat around your recommended calorie intake but you can have an off day and still lose weight. This diet works great with the myfitnesspal. You will track your meals and calories and this will help you make the right eating habits. And yes I can still have Ice cream and potato chips as a snack when I crave them and I love potato chips. I do think the one thing you can not skip is the grapefruit. I skipped this 1 week and my results were not as good as the rest of the week. Following the diet to the letter I lost 4 lbs after the 1st three days and gained 2 by the time I started the next week. But I always ended with 2 lbs lost. My wife did this for 1 week and got the same results but she said it was no different then the results that she got on weight watches. Yet I am able to keep on this diet better then she can keep on her diet. I think it is because mentally you are only dieting 3 out of 7 days. The other 4 days you are just eating right. Feel free to ask me any questions about this diet.

So, how many calories do u eat on ur off days? Right now im doing btwn 1200-1500 exercising an hour 6 days a week. And on avg i am seeing about 2-3 lbs a week. And while i am overweight i am not obese. So idk if going on this diet wud do anything different for me.