2»

Replies

• sassyjassy1222
    sassyjassy1222 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Military diet is stupid faddishness which will lead to the same old yo-yo

Playing with water weight

If you're eating very low calories on 3 days and at maintenance at 4 you are clearly doing CICO, so I don't understand the strictures when you could select your own foods to that calorie count ...or possibly it's a form of intermittent fasting

Speaking of water weight.... i saw on vitamnshoppes website about water pills.the ones i saw specifically were to b used for 10days. R there other ways to lose water weight other than extreme diets or water pills.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to lose water?
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »

To b honest i dont know the scientific answer. I just know over the years i have been told or heard people saying i need to lose water weight to help with bloating. I was told women especially hold excess water. I dont know the science behind it though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    spzjlb wrote: »

To b honest i dont know the scientific answer. I just know over the years i have been told or heard people saying i need to lose water weight to help with bloating. I was told women especially hold excess water. I dont know the science behind it though.

Nope

Just drink more
  • vinbar1
    vinbar1 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    My average calories on my off days are about 1500 to 1700 with a day or 2 as high as 2200 to 3300 days that we went out to eat. the 3 on days are about 1000 calories. And surprisingly I am not hungry on those low calorie days. Again I am not exercising nearly as much as you are. This is not water weight it is real lbs off. I rollerblade with my dog for like 5 minutes every nice day. 3 sets of pushups 3 days a week and band strength training 3 days if I feel like it and that is only a very short 15 min workout. I am 6'1" and I started the diet at 202 lbs and am down to 191 lbs 5 weeks later. Any way you look at it it is just calories in vs calories burned. When I was full out lifting for 1 hour a day I could easily eat 2300 calories a day and still lose 2 lbs a week. I kind of like the road map they give you as far as a menu goes and then from there you do your own thing.
  • vinbar1
    Options
    Rabvitjb, It technically is a 3 day fast. But it is not water weight that I am losing, It is clearly removing fat. But it is not the only way to lose weight. It is however a good way to get started and motivated. No matter what plan you choose it is always calories in vs calories burned. Find you metabolic rate reduce your calorie intake by 3500/week and you WILL lose 1 lb of fat. Simple math.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    vinbar1 wrote: »
    Rabvitjb, It technically is a 3 day fast. But it is not water weight that I am losing, It is clearly removing fat. But it is not the only way to lose weight. It is however a good way to get started and motivated. No matter what plan you choose it is always calories in vs calories burned. Find you metabolic rate reduce your calorie intake by 3500/week and you WILL lose 1 lb of fat. Simple math.

Nope, you won't. It's not actually a direct link but it is a good enough calculation

However the scale weight you lose is made up of body fat, water weight and LBM

The trick is to ensure you lose as little LBM as possible on your journey by not having too large a defecit and by following a progressive lifting programme

I'm pretty sure the 3 day military diet is 3 days on just under 1000 calories which is not a fast ..it's simply a way of averaging your defecit across the week

By "find your metabolic rate" do you mean TDEE

PS based on the calories you posted you're eating roughly 1770 calories on average per day (taking the maximums you posted) ...as a 6"1 male at 195lbs I would imagine you could eat more than that if you wished and still lose weight ..if you wished. But you've found something that works for you and THAT is the trick
  • vinbar1
    Options
    True my calculations are dumbed down. Yes I do mean TDEE. My point is the plan does work. It is just another way to look at dieting and it does help someone get started off. and it is a decent plan. It however does not cause a 10 LB a week lose for an average person. You would have to be very over weight and you would have to do an extreme training program like you would see on the biggest loser.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The food choices are pretty unappealing. I just don't get the point--if you want to do some form of IF, why not just do IF or modify it to be 1000 calories on 3 days and maintenance on 4 or some such.

The appeal of the military diet seems to be the name and the dishonest promises that the foods chosen have some special power.

But I never understand doing a diet that tells you specifically what to eat.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    So i finally decided to look at the whole diet. The combo of foods does sound ridiculous. I dont quite get the science behind it either tbh. But i did read in the end it has to do with calories.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Nope nope nope.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I read the title as minitart and thought there were mini tarts...now I'm sad haha

On topic: The military diet is a fad crash diet that promotes a VLCD. Any weight that is lost will most likely be water weight which you would gain back when you complete the diet and start eating the way you normally would. What would work more in the long run is to eat at a reasonable deficit.
  • vinbar1
    Options
    Lemurcat, After the third week I did modify the menu. There is only so much tuna I can eat and I do not like Ice cream every day. But i still lost weight. The only science I could find in the diet was the grapefruit. Something about the chemical balance in the body. I did notice a slight difference when I did not have the grapefruit.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lemurcat, After the third week I did modify the menu. There is only so much tuna I can eat and I do not like Ice cream every day. But i still lost weight. The only science I could find in the diet was the grapefruit. Something about the chemical balance in the body. I did notice a slight difference when I did not have the grapefruit.

You lost because you ate less than you burned. There is nothing scientific about grapefruit.
  • sassyjassy1222
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

You lost because you ate less than you burned. There is nothing scientific about grapefruit.

Yea i was wondering what special powers grapefruit had as well lol
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

So i finally decided to look at the whole diet. The combo of foods does sound ridiculous. I dont quite get the science behind it either tbh. But i did read in the end it has to do with calories.

Well, it's a starvation/VLCD diet.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Yea i was wondering what special powers grapefruit had as well lol

In the 70s, they claimed that grapefruit had magical fat-burning properties.

I eat a lot of grapefruit because I find it delicious.