I'm SO shocked...Right now...Doctor?!

Options
2»

Replies

• tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    My doctor once told me he didn't care if I ate nothing at all as long as I was taking a good vitamin.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've had my share of unhelpful Drs. (with other issues- not food), and I've learned that just because there's a "Dr" in front of someones name does not mean they are good at their job.

Its unfortunate when you have to pay it by yourself but the sad truth is that you have to shop around and find someone who truly understands your problem and that you feel comfortable with.

I'm so happy that you took the first step- don't let this bring you down.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Doctors sometimes are clueless and ignore the food issues.

I'm impressed that you have gotten help and know you have an issue. You obviously a strong, intelligent, beautiful person. Keep working with your ED and keep working on the food issues.

My daughter has issues with food, stomach problems, etc. Her issues are the opposite, she thinks she is too thin, but at the same time doesn't eat when stressed, etc. It is hard for others to understand her issues.

I totally understand yours and everyone here has some sort of issue with food or we wouldn't be here. Some of us eat too much, some eat too little and some binge. So you are not alone and your doctor was an *kitten*!!! Get a new Doctor or just don't bother talking to the Dr about your nutrition. Just get blood tests and other things to make sure you are generally healthy.
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    While I was doing my residency, I did my research on family medicine physicians and attitudes and knowledge about EDs. The results were surprising. Many did not have significant knowledge about EDs and some even blamed the patient. On the other hand, there were some that were extremely knowledgeable. Most, fortunately, did know who to refer patients to though. My advice would be to find a doc out there that specializes in EDs, see a psychiatrist (who works with EDs), or go to a nutritionist.

Not all physicians are uncaring and ignorant about EDs. There are bad apples in all occupations.