Do you go with the suggested macros on MFP or use some other ratio?

Options
2»

Replies

• isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Percentage is a poor way to work out your macros. 20% of 1200 caloroes is totally different to 20% of 3000. You're better of working in grams
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Do you go with the suggested macros on MFP or use some other ratio? If you choose another ratio, why?

I have played around with the percentages, but honestly, I don't really know what would work best for my body or weight loss/nutrition goals. Trying to figure out something I can stick with and be reasonably confident is a healthy ratio.

When I first joined MFP, more than a year and a half ago, I used the default MFP settings but I was hungry all the time. I read up on macros on the forum and then did some research on my own playing around with various micro splits. I found that a 35% protein/35% fat/30% carb split worked best for me for several reasons.

1. 35% protein to retain as much lean body mass as possible while in a deficit. I lift weights.
    1. 35% fat so that I never feel hungry (I eat something every three or four hours.).
    2. 30% carbs because I'm old and have to watch my carb intake for health reasons.

You should look at your health goals and decide what might work best for you and your health issues, if any. If you run or jog you might want to up your carbs, adjusting protein and fat accordingly. If you have health issues like pre-diabetes or anything insulin related, you might want to keep your carbs just a bit lower. Make sure that you're eating enough protein to retain lean body mass while you're in a calorie deficit. Balance is the key. You might also check with your doctor for recommendations.

• Malasaurus
    Malasaurus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm using 70/15/15. Mainly because I am a vegan and naturally run carb heavy due to that. But also because I am trying to wean myself off of fatty stuff in general at the moment and get used to eating less of it. I got into some bad habits a while ago and cutting out the fatty things is gonna help me sort of re-learn how to eat without relying on them so much when cooking. After a few months of this I'll probably re-evaluate a little bit, but may just keep it like this. We'll see.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    While this is true:
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    20% of 1200 calories is totally different to 20% of 3000.

I fail to see how it leads to this:
    You're better of working in grams

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm 35% carbs, 35% protein and 30% fat. I set my own goal. I want more protein, like some of the other posters have said.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I need protein to keep my lean muscle mass (I do not think you should go as low as 20% protein as a poster above says they do--that's not in the same ballpark as 30 or 35).

Doesn't it depend on your needs and calorie goal? That's why I tend to agree with the poster who said that it makes more sense to work in grams.

For me 20% of my maintenance calories (in grams) is higher than my lean body mass (in lbs). So if I preferred eating more carbs or fat, there'd be no reason to keep my protein higher.

(I actually prefer 40-30-30, however, most of the time.)

• deanspools2013
    deanspools2013 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    pgobiel wrote: »
    I feel pretty good with 40 carbs/ 30 fat/ 30 protein. I think the MFP default had me at 50 carbs to start, and I seem to do better with a little less carbs.
    I'm at about that
  • deanspools2013
    deanspools2013 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    pgobiel wrote: »
    I feel pretty good with 40 carbs/ 30 fat/ 30 protein. I think the MFP default had me at 50 carbs to start, and I seem to do better with a little less carbs.
    I'm at about that

We'll sort of that's my goal anyways lol