Options
1235»

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hot sex

She said she only had 10 minutes. And it might be awkward at work.

She could spend 10 mins thinking about it :p
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Pick up some of these.

I love my Good Eater Award. :blush:

But seriously (although I am serious about my Good Eater Award), just take the time to do things you enjoy. Bubble baths, good books, a new haircut, whatever. And sometimes that can be food. I celebrate with cake and ice cream. Hell, I make cake and ice cream part of my normal day.
  • TakingBackForever
    TakingBackForever Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I like to buy "rewards" that help me progress towards the next goal. One reward was getting a Fitbit. Another reward was picking up some weights to use at home. Another reward was buying the Power90 program.

I feel like I "earned" something cool and it will ultimately help me on my journey.

I love this idea!
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    ajfuelling wrote: »
    For me, the ultimate reward is new socks. I just love them... weird, I know.

i love this! mine is underwear.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sorry to push but ... :)

Achieve goals such as ... ?

I ask because I've been thinking through my last, say, 6 months or year ... and I can't think of any goals I've achieved big enough to want to celebrate.

Goals are personal measures - sorry that over the last year you don't feel you have anything to celebrate.

Over the last year;

I have reached (& exceeded) my target weight and been in maintenance for 2 months - that's a goal achieved for me.

I have gone from being 'unable to run', to running 5 miles, three times a week and running in 5K and 10K races.

I have overcome my severe fear of flying - another goal accomplished (& that's taken years, LOL!!).

All the above have been, for me, fairly major good turning points to a better life after many years of major bad turning points (lost jobs, divorce, bereavements).

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    snoringcat wrote: »

I ask because I've been thinking through my last, say, 6 months or year ... and I can't think of any goals I've achieved big enough to want to celebrate.

Goals are personal measures - sorry that over the last year you don't feel you have anything to celebrate.

As I said ...
    The things I celebrate don't happen all that frequently ... it may be years before the next such celebration comes along ...

-- new job
    -- graduate from most recent diploma or degree
    -- ride a 1200K randonnee

And as I mentioned in another post above ... it didn't even occur to me to celebrate being cancer free. :lol:

I'm not sure why I only think of celebrating the big stuff.

However, after reading all this stuff over the past few days, I did entertain the idea of celebrating finishing my first grad course (last class tomorrow). Finishing a course isn't something I would normally celebrate ... but who knows ... maybe it's celebration worthy???

Over the last year;

I have reached (& exceeded) my target weight and been in maintenance for 2 months - that's a goal achieved for me.

I have gone from being 'unable to run', to running 5 miles, three times a week and running in 5K and 10K races.

I have overcome my severe fear of flying - another goal accomplished (& that's taken years, LOL!!).

All the above have been, for me, fairly major good turning points to a better life after many years of major bad turning points (lost jobs, divorce, bereavements).

Congrats! :)
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    Options

As I said ...
    The things I celebrate don't happen all that frequently ... it may be years before the next such celebration comes along ...

-- new job
    -- graduate from most recent diploma or degree
    -- ride a 1200K randonnee

And as I mentioned in another post above ... it didn't even occur to me to celebrate being cancer free. :lol:

I'm not sure why I only think of celebrating the big stuff.

However, after reading all this stuff over the past few days, I did entertain the idea of celebrating finishing my first grad course (last class tomorrow). Finishing a course isn't something I would normally celebrate ... but who knows ... maybe it's celebration worthy???

Over the last year;

Congrats! :)

You're not alone. It doesn't occur to me to "celebrate" things either. To me, reaching a goal is celebration enough. It's just a different mind set.

The things that people list as rewards are just things to buy when I need them. :smile:

Maybe I will try to think of having celebrations more often. In my head, that will mean a party with friends!

Also, yay on being cancer free and also grad school!

• amandawknight
    amandawknight Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Good grief, some of you get a little too serious about this. I think everyone likes to have things to look forward to. That was all I was referring to in my OP. I usually look forward to a big meal at my favorite restaurant for celebration (i.e. The school year is over, I got the position at my school that I interviewed for, birthdays, kid free night out with hubby, etc.) Using a big meal as my thing to look forward to is something I want to change Also, just little rewards for short term goals...I made it through the day with my most challenging group of students yet and everyone is still alive! So the comments about "what do you need a reward for" etc. are useless. I wasn't asking if anyone thought I should reward myself. I was asking for how others who do reward themselves do it in a non food way. Thank you to those who have posted ideas :) I really appreciate it, and I will be using many of them. To the others, if you don't have anything useful to say to contribute to a post, why waste the keystrokes?! :smiley::wink:
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rewarding yourself (extrinsic rewards).
    Some people plan something for every 5 or 10 lb, some only hit the big milestones,
    a few only plan a big to-do when they hit goal (which, personally, I think is a bad idea;
    there's more motivation in small rewards along the way)

Things I've done or planned as I've hit milestones:
    new cute colorful fun socks
    new better-quality colorful earbuds (ties into working out)
    clothes that fit (a necessity!)
    music CD's (some people would buy mp3's)
    a picnic, following (or part of) a hike in a state park I haven't been to before
    nice lotion, bath gel, or perfume
    earrings
    books (relaxation)
    when I hit 100 lb lost, a friend is getting me a massage session
    when I get to goal (110 lb from my highest) I'll get a couple sets of nice lingerie

And of course, just feeling better & knowing I've accomplished so much is a great reward!

You could also find low-cal but tasty treats (flavor club soda with stevia drops; 40-cal
    fudgesicles; blend frozen fruit with nonfat milk for a 'shake')
    , or slightly higher-cal treats
    but keep them as treats and have a very small amount (I like 70% dark chocolate).
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have my eye on a Marc Jacobs bag for when I get into the healthy BMI range. Also: who are these people who don't need rewards? ;) I'm all about treats for meeting goals. Some treats are bigger than others, but boy, I like to see a carrot at the end of the stick.