frustrated, confused and need help/advice

Options
13»

Replies

• mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    birksybabe wrote: »
    I stopped adding my exercise into this app because it was adding extra calories to eat and I didn't and couldn't eat them. Is that bad?

No, that's not bad, and it's an annoying feature of MFP. You should calculate your intake/deficit based on how active you are, and set it in MFP accordingly.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP so are you going to comment on the increase of your weight?
    I have also done the workout for 12 hours per week to lose weight. That how I got to profile pic one.
    Maybe you feels it doesn't matter but I know from my experience that it does.

Like there had to of been a increase in calorie intake or something else , medically, is going on.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    My instructor did a basal rate and she said for my weight I should eat 2500 daily then she said because of the work at the gym I do it should actually be more. ( she's the one who trains me and knows how much exercise I do.....but because she knows about my eating disorder in the past and that I wouldn't eat anything til gone 5 in the evening she said try for 2000 and gave me advice on how to eat the calories.

Is your instructor qualified to give you nutrition advice?

Is MFP?

:drinker:

Have you seeing some of the advice some trainers give their clients on MFP threads?

• birksybabe
    birksybabe Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There were numerous reasons I gained weight (you do mean over the years I assume) firstly going from starving myself from the age of 12/13 to eating all the wrong things when I fell pregnant at 19 then starving myself again falling pregnant again 4 years later and eating again. It's been a vicious cycle.
  • birksybabe
    Options
    Not had a look at much on here but intend to. I was using this app mainly as a way if tracking my calories
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    There were numerous reasons I gained weight (you do mean over the years I assume) firstly going from starving myself from the age of 12/13 to eating all the wrong things when I fell pregnant at 19 then starving myself again falling pregnant again 4 years later and eating again. It's been a vicious cycle.

Cycles can do a lot of damage to your metabolism, so just be patient. I would suggest going to someone who is actually certified in giving you nutrition advice. I'm a personal trainer and I know that a lot of people like to say that they are qualified, or even have taken a course that gives them some education, but I would just be cautious on taking the wrong advice from a well-intentioned person who just may be doing more harm than good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I stopped adding my exercise into this app because it was adding extra calories to eat and I didn't and couldn't eat them. Is that bad?

You can change the calorie count to 1 calorie. You might want to do that anyway, so that you can log the exercise and have an accurate record of what you did.

I second what girlviernes has said here about upping the calories and perhaps talking to someone. Taking your log (including the exercise) to a doctor might be a place to start.

I understand about exercise helping with the mental state, but sometimes cutting back a little and making your deficit easier to figure out and taking some of the stress off the body can help. Something like walking might help with the mental state too and not involve so many hours of high impact stress on the body (not saying to cut out everything, but you really seem to be spending a LOT of time in the gym).
  • birksybabe
    Options
    Thank you everyone I will definitely take on board what you've said. Firstly I think a visit to my doctor for some tests done to make sure everything is kinda ok. Secondly be patient...measure measure and measure. I will also try the exercise add if I can change it to 1 calorie just so others (and me) can see what I'm doing
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,719 Member
    Options
    i'm struggling to loose weight. Any body got and suggestions or advice for me

Hello OP. First of all congratulation on losing at a rate of about 0.5lbs a week over a period of months. And of being, by the looks of it, in phenomenal shape.

Your stats are not known nor are your goals (are to you 5lbs from your currently stated goal, or 20?).

Given your previous history with food your goals may be worth a review by yourself and your doctor as your profile pic does not display someone I would personally believe to be overweight.

You may also want to focus on goals based on fat % as opposed to weight, which may require DXA or similar scanning.

Or to focus on results such as lifting a particular weight or achieving a particular time/speed goal instead of concentrating on your weight.

In any case, if you don't have a lot of fat available to be lost, not only will your weight loss be slow; but, your weight loss SHOULD be slow to ensure that you mostly lose fat.

The likelihood of your metabolism being lower than most online estimates is high given your previous cyclical weight loss and early eating history. So is your ability to function with less calories than optimal.

You may want to look into the eat more to weight less groups, or similar methods of perhaps helping your metabolism recover from previous adaptations (and have you ever thought of lifting progressively heavier weights?)

Last but not least, spending the amount of time you do in the gym should be for health/strength reasons, not in pursuit of a larger caloric deficit.

If you feel compelled to be in the gym to control your weight you may want to re-examine that in view of the previous issues you've hinted at!

I have to draw your attention to the fact that some of the things you've said in this thread hint that you may still be struggling with your relationship with food and that you may want to consider whether working on these issues may be more effective for you long term than troubleshooting your fairly successful so far 0.5lbs a week weight loss!

In any case you have my continued wishes for success!
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    i'm struggling to loose weight. Any body got and suggestions or advice for me

Hello OP. First of all congratulation on losing at a rate of about 0.5lbs a week over a period of months. And of being, by the looks of it, in phenomenal shape.

Your stats are not known nor are your goals (are to you 5lbs from your currently stated goal, or 20?).

Given your previous history with food your goals may be worth a review by yourself and your doctor as your profile pic does not display someone I would personally believe to be overweight.

You may also want to focus on goals based on fat % as opposed to weight, which may require DXA or similar scanning.

Or to focus on results such as lifting a particular weight or achieving a particular time/speed goal instead of concentrating on your weight.

In any case, if you don't have a lot of fat available to be lost, not only will your weight loss be slow; but, your weight loss SHOULD be slow to ensure that you mostly lose fat.

The likelihood of your metabolism being lower than most online estimates is high given your previous cyclical weight loss and early eating history. So is your ability to function with less calories than optimal.

You may want to look into the eat more to weight less groups, or similar methods of perhaps helping your metabolism recover from previous adaptations (and have you ever thought of lifting progressively heavier weights?)

Last but not least, spending the amount of time you do in the gym should be for health/strength reasons, not in pursuit of a larger caloric deficit.

If you feel compelled to be in the gym to control your weight you may want to re-examine that in view of the previous issues you've hinted at!

I have to draw your attention to the fact that some of the things you've said in this thread hint that you may still be struggling with your relationship with food and that you may want to consider whether working on these issues may be more effective for you long term than troubleshooting your fairly successful so far 0.5lbs a week weight loss!

In any case you have my continued wishes for success!

tumblr_inline_nkbe5dJ8t71qfwhgs.gif
  • birksybabe
    Options
    I haven't put my stats or goals because I have a tendency to go OCD with my weight if I do that. I did the atkins diet many years ago which I set a goal weight ...got there and set another and I ended up being addicted to loosing weight to the point where people were asking if I had cancer
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I would second talking to your doctor. Go to him/her and say "here's what I am, here's where I want to be, here's the food log and exercise log, what is your advice?" If your doctor's advice tallies with your trainer, then good. If not, I personally would listen to the doctor over the trainer since the doctor probably has more training, and is in a better position to monitor ALL of what you're doing, not just in regards to the exercise you do.