Does calorie counting actually work?

Options
been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred , on the weekend I indulged

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It works if you do it correctly.
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You're on a website dedicated to calorie counting..........
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred , on the weekend I indulged

Did your indulgence outweigh your defecit? Cos it won't work like that

But yes it works if you stick with it

• tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The 50lbs I've lost since January say yes.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I'm 30lbs down since January. By calorie counting. Nothing else. So yep.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it all depends on your deficit. Stick to a conservative deficit of 500 calories a day between nutrition and exercise, or an overall 3500 calorie/week deficit.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

This.
  • LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ok well thanks for the positive feedback, didn't ask for no snotty ones but hey ho
  • LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    And what is meant

This.
    What is meant by correctly? X
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    And what is meant

This.

Just that some people don't know how to calculate a deficit properly. 1200 seems low to me but I don't know your stats
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    And what is meant

This.

Use an online calculator (or MFP's) to figure out what calorie deficit you need to be at, in order to accomplish your weight loss goals. Eating 1,200 calories a day with intense exercise probably isn't enough calories for you. Also pay attention to portion sizes, make sure you're accurately logging what you're eating, and I also highly recommend using a food scale, especially for calorie dense things like nuts.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Ok well thanks for the positive feedback, didn't ask for no snotty ones but hey ho

Define "snotty" :smiley:
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I have no idea where she thought you were being snotty. I sure didn't see it.
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I have no idea where she thought you were being snotty. I sure didn't see it.

I don't think it was directed at me, I'm just interested in where she perceived snottiness in this tame thread
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

this-gonna-be-good-o.gif
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Of course it works. In fact, eating less calories than your body burns is the only thing that works...aside from certain medical conditions or cutting a limb off or something.

Indulging on weekends is okay only if it doesn't mean you're not in a deficit for the week. For instance, if I lose 1 lb/week at 1800 calories per day and I eat 1800 calories Monday-Friday and 3000 Saturday-Sunday, I'm definitely not going to lose a pound a week. If I eat 1500 Monday-Friday and 2500 Saturday-Sunday, my average intake will be 1800 and I'll still lose about a pound a week.

"Indulging" doesn't mean "I ate whatever I wanted and didn't track my calories, so I have no clue what I really ate," especially if it happens every weekend. That's not going to work. You have to track every day, even if you eat over your goal, in order to truly know your average intake over the course of the week.

TL;DR: It works if you do it right.