Does calorie counting actually work?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Ok well thanks for the positive feedback, didn't ask for no snotty ones but hey ho

Define "snotty" :smiley:

snotty_kid-8x6.jpg
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I was blunt. Not snotty. I'm not good at typing essays any more.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The. Horror.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Yes it does.
    58841349.png
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Ok well thanks for the positive feedback, didn't ask for no snotty ones but hey ho

You, obviously, haven't been on this website very long, but don't let it scare you off. The natives are mostly harmless.
  • annavalente
    annavalente Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yip 57lbs down..12 more to go!
    Logging honestly is definitely the key!!
  • daclozer
    daclozer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For me it I is working, I started out not too much overweight just trying to get more energy and be healthier. It is forcing me to make better choices because now I understand how hard it is to burn off 300 calories or whatever amount. If I am going to splurge a bit I relate the calories to how many minutes on the elliptical and decide if it is worth it or not.
  • Ashleigh4444
    Ashleigh4444 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It definitely works! In the beginning I lost about a pound-two a week in my first few months with little effort exercising.. I regularly try to average between 1000-1200 calories A day, Eating 5-6 times (3 meals 2/3 snacks) and on my "cheat" days im still calorie conscious.. I don't go crazy with it, just allow myself to eat between 1500-1800. You dont wanna completely deprive yourself of your favorite foods. Because your CRAVINGS will get the best of you. Eating a random slice of pizza will shock your body after eating clean the rest of the week and send your metabolism into high gear. Just account for the calories eaten on your cheat day. DON'T GO BUCK WILD. You don't wanna back pedal and defeat what you did throughout the rest of the week.. GOOD LUCK! :smiley:
  • allakin2000
    allakin2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In Feb. 2014 I was 61 years old, 283 lb., sedentary, and according to two physicians "pre-diabetic, morbidly obese, arthritic in both knees". I wouldn't have started if you'd told me I "had to" include exercise because it would have hurt too much. A very caring doctor [thanks, Don!] assured me that I could turn things around with calorie control as the primary change, adding mild exercise if/when/only as much as my knees would allow.

Don was right. This morning [Day 445] I reached target weight [WOOT!] of 175 lb. Still sedentary, although I no longer dread having to walk half-a-mile.

BUT: I had to play it straight, just as others have said:
    Log everything [which is where MFP has been so helpful].
    Pay attention to portion control.
    Don't chase the small daily variations on the scale.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    In Feb. 2014 I was 61 years old, 283 lb., sedentary, and according to two physicians "pre-diabetic, morbidly obese, arthritic in both knees". I wouldn't have started if you'd told me I "had to" include exercise because it would have hurt too much. A very caring doctor [thanks, Don!] assured me that I could turn things around with calorie control as the primary change, adding mild exercise if/when/only as much as my knees would allow.

Don was right. This morning [Day 445] I reached target weight [WOOT!] of 175 lb. Still sedentary, although I no longer dread having to walk half-a-mile.

Great work!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

You are my hero
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hangry, OP?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    been doing this a week now and sticking to 1200 calories a day, and doing jillion michaels 30day shred , on the weekend I indulged

Did your indulgence outweigh your defecit? Cos it won't work like that

But yes it works if you stick with it

This.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Works for me. Lost 40lbs over the course of a year. Got off track for a while, but back on and losing the last little bit.

If you've only been at it for a week, it might not seem like it's working. This is a much slower method, but it's one that has potential to help you the rest of your life by teaching you how to portion out your food properly. So many people never learn that, especially if they eat out a lot (or have the mom/grandma "Eat! Eat!" syndrome). So look for trends over several weeks at a time, not every day. Trust me, you will start trending down if you're counting correctly, but it will take a while!
  • LaurenWilkins293
    LaurenWilkins293 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Fabulous! Such an inspiration! X
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ohhhh, so it's only ok for YOU to be snotty. Got it.
    As for whether calorie counting works...*peeks at ticker* …um, yeah.