Thoughts on my eating philosophy?

Options
1101112131416»

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Wow ! So eating healthy to fuel a body properly and trying to eat naturally is elitist? When I travel this is how the people in the poorest countries eat. They eat rice, beans, a bit of meat or fish, veggies and some fruit. And I travel to some poor countries when I travel.

I can't believe the people on this forum! I for one support OP. I feel so much better since I have started eating the same way. I eat food. Meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit, healthy oils, beans, rice and whole foods as much as possible. And guess what? I feel amazing.

And I was raised in utter poverty, and that is how we ate. Mind you the meat wasn't prime cuts, the veggies weren't organic but we ate healthy, just not pricey.

For those of us who are losing weight. Guess what? You aren't eating TDEE. Which means every calorie you put in your body has to work harder to provide the nutrition that eating TDEE would provide.

Yes you can lose weight on jelly donuts and McDonalds french fries. But your body wouldn't have all those important nutrients it needs for the hundreds of complex things it does every single day. You won't have energy, because you will be lacking what you need.

Can you have treats and lose weight? Hell yes. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather buy treats at a bake sale, or bake them myself or get them from a bakery than eat something that has been sitting in a cellophane rapper for a year at the gas station.

People on these forums sometimes really cause me to shake my head. I've been doing MFP off and on for a few years. The forums never change. Lifting heavy is the only thing that works, we should eat whatever we want and lose weight even if we can't eat whatever we want in moderation not to mention the bro science. It literally never changes and never ceases to amuse me.

I think you missed the point of the problems people are finding with the OP's position.

1. Sourcing: not everyone can afford organic or grass fed
    2. Setting a moral standard for other people: needs no explanation for being wrong, does it?

Here are the problems I have with some of the things you've said:

1. No one on the forums EVER says to eat "whatever you want". People always miss the point that "whatever you want comes AFTER you fulfill your macro and micronutrient goals with nutrient dense foods.
    2. No one on the forums EVER says heavy lifting is the ONLY thing that works. It is very effective at total body transformation of the kind that a lot of people seem to be looking for, though.

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    The truth is that I am envious of anyone that can eat and not have to think about every morsel they put in their mouth. I don't have that luxury. I have to think about everything I eat because if I don't there are terrible consequences... I can't be a helpful and productive member of society if I'm stuck on the toilet all day or curled up in bed pain and trying to muster to energy to get dressed, all because I got careless and ate something without thinking about it. But at the other end of the spectrum I realise that I'm incredibly lucky to be able to even have a choice over what I'm eat, and even when I'm curled up in pain I try to be grateful for the fact my situation isn't worse. If I don't make the best choice available to me with what I eat then I'm letting myself down and letting others down by rendering myself invalid for a day. If someone else can eat what they like with no such consequences then they should know that they are one of the luckiest people on Earth. I guess that's all I'm trying to portray here.

Again I'm sorry for sounding like such a selfish, ignorant, snobby fool... Obviously I need to retune my thinking :-(

I'm going to do crawl under a rock now.

Again, insinuating that those of us who don't think about it aren't helpful or productive members of society....

I am very conscious about what I eat and where it came from; my dad was poor as hell growing up and his family barely had enough food to feed him. I've seen him work crappy jobs he hates just to be able to feed us as kids like his parents never fed him. My dad is genuinely one of my heroes.

Even when I was on housing benefit and council tax benefit and still having to work three jobs just to afford my rent and bills, I thought about what it was I was putting in my body. And do you know what I thought? 'As long as I can afford to eat, I am happy, as that is a luxury my dad never had'. Screw whether I'm eating organically or fairtrade, just the fact that I have the luxury to be able to eat at all makes me feel privileged. Welcome to the real world.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't have any issue or problem with the OP wanting to think about the source of her food. Good for her. However the mentality of a call to arms to all people to do that....it grates on my nerves.

I personally think a good deal about the source of my food, in particular with cheese, milk and eggs. I am a vegetarian, but not vegan. However I am uncomfortable with how much of the industry treat dairy cows and egg chickens. I enjoy having cheese and eggs in my diet, so I look to buy from sources that I know how the animals are treated.

The point though, is that is a personal choice. Someone else who doesn't do that isn't doing something better or worse than I am. They are just making different food choices. I place no value on a choice someone else makes.

I also recognize that it may be the best and most important choice someone makes to buy foods that help them meet their goals...no matter the source. Sometimes that is the best and first priority and that is not only A OK, that's a good thing.

Make whatever choice you want. It's yours to make. Share that choice with others. Good, great, wonderful. However where it goes wrong IMO is when you proclaim that others should do the same.

^This. As another poster stated upthread, morality is personal. Where this thread went off the rails was the imposition of someone else's morality on other people and the presumption that it was somehow a standard.

It further went off the rails with assumptions about what other people were and weren't doing when they made different choices.

• Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Wow ! So eating healthy to fuel a body properly and trying to eat naturally is elitist? When I travel this is how the people in the poorest countries eat. They eat rice, beans, a bit of meat or fish, veggies and some fruit. And I travel to some poor countries when I travel.

I can't believe the people on this forum! I for one support OP. I feel so much better since I have started eating the same way. I eat food. Meat, veggies, eggs, cheese, fruit, healthy oils, beans, rice and whole foods as much as possible. And guess what? I feel amazing.

And I was raised in utter poverty, and that is how we ate. Mind you the meat wasn't prime cuts, the veggies weren't organic but we ate healthy, just not pricey.

For those of us who are losing weight. Guess what? You aren't eating TDEE. Which means every calorie you put in your body has to work harder to provide the nutrition that eating TDEE would provide.

Yes you can lose weight on jelly donuts and McDonalds french fries. But your body wouldn't have all those important nutrients it needs for the hundreds of complex things it does every single day. You won't have energy, because you will be lacking what you need.

Can you have treats and lose weight? Hell yes. I'm just getting to the point where I'd rather buy treats at a bake sale, or bake them myself or get them from a bakery than eat something that has been sitting in a cellophane rapper for a year at the gas station.

People on these forums sometimes really cause me to shake my head. I've been doing MFP off and on for a few years. The forums never change. Lifting heavy is the only thing that works, we should eat whatever we want and lose weight even if we can't eat whatever we want in moderation not to mention the bro science. It literally never changes and never ceases to amuse me.

Yet oddly enough I successfully lost the extra weight and improved my health in the process, while continuing to eat McDs, donuts and all the other foods that I enjoy. I refuse to label any foods 'good' or 'bad' and that's one of the reasons why I've been so successful with this whole thing-both for weight loss and maintenance, and also for better health. And I feel pretty amazing too ;)
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    There were assumptions that there was an assumption, but that was just bulls**t :p
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Yet oddly enough I successfully lost the extra weight and improved my health in the process, while continuing to eat McDs, donuts and all the other foods that I enjoy. I refuse to label any foods 'good' or 'bad' and that's one of the reasons why I've been so successful with this whole thing-both for weight loss and maintenance, and also for better health. And I feel pretty amazing too ;)
    I have a friend who lost 25# eating a bowl of ice cream *every single night*. That's not for me, but she had no problems at all losing the weight!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There were assumptions that there was an assumption, but that was just bulls**t :p

If you understand that other people are already thinking about what they eat, why tell them to do so?

Your posts in this thread, especially late in the thread, are to the other participants in the thread. Therefore, if you tell us to practice mindfulness in what we eat and, indeed, lament that people fail to do that and are supposedly opposed to the idea, that is clearly a claim that the people you are talking to--the others participating in the thread--don't do this.

It's particularly odd in that many people had made comments demonstrating that they did think about the source of their food in various ways that you ignored.

Rather than making generic statements about how people should think about the source of their food, why not address some of the many comments here where people have explained what they think about, why, and why in many cases we are unwilling to demand that others think about things in the same exact way that we do?
  • upchur35
    upchur35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think that's a fantastic philosophy. Less chemicals in your system and more whole foods :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

AKA reductio ad donutum
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    fr3smyl wrote: »

Was she by chance Cajun or Creole? :p That was my dad's philosophy growing up. We were nit allowed to throw out any spoiled or moldy food. It was just made into something else. We ate a lot of gumbos and jambalayas, with lots of spices.
    Didn't learn about throwing out bad food until a few years into my marriage...That was a very interesting talk.

No, but her parents were Italian immigrant working people, and she grew up during the Depression/WW2.

Ahhh. I see. ;) Do you throw things out now or is it still a struggle to do so?

I'm finding the older I get, the harder it is to throw things away. This applies to food that might be slightly dodgy, clothing, rubber bands... (Who said we all turn into our mothers eventually!)
    I haven't started sticking the old bits of soap together to make a 'new' bar yet, but I'm sure that'll come.

True! :D
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

AKA reductio ad donutum

^^Love it! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

AKA reductio ad donutum

Perfect.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

AKA reductio ad donutum

Genius.

• Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Quoting the genius that is IT Crowd (original quote: there were rumours that there was a rumour, but that was just bullsh**t).

Why are people insisting that I'm telling certain users on mfp what to do? I created a philosophy for ME, and asked what people thought of it, that's all. I've got enough opinions on it now so I'm leaving it at that. I asked if people in the general public (who currently aren't and have the ability to) could start to think about what they are eating for their own health, and many individuals on mfp already are which is great, but the assumptions that I'm telling specific people what to do show many that it's too big a question for society as a whole. Look, I'm obviously not very good at written communication, I've already apologised for any offence caused, I have no control over how my comments make people feel. I won't apologise again. I'm not answering each and every post because I never many to suggest any specific user or users should be doing certain things. And to be honest i don't have time to adrress each and every post. Maybe that comes across as me ignoring people or me being a snob, fine.

What other people eat and do with their life is not my concern. Find what feels good for YOU and stick with it.