Thoughts on my eating philosophy?

Options

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Nakeshia88 wrote: »
    My new philosophy for food is that if you can't grow it, catch it, kill it or make it yourself then don't eat it. For example: I can grow fruits/vegetables/legumes/grains and nuts so these are OK; I can fish and shoot so meat is OK; and I can/could easily learn to do things like grow/grind my own flour, salt and coffee, I can brew beer, make bread and pasta so these are OK - however, I couldn't make something like Coca Cola or anything containing artificial ingredients/additives so I won't eat these things.

So lately when I'm picking up food that's in a tin, bag or box I'll read the ingredients and ask myself, could I grow or kill these ingredients, process and mix them together myself to make this? If so, then I'll buy it, if not, back it goes! What do you think of this philosophy?

Can you hunt, catch and grow your own food? Go on, try it - go hunting, go fishing, try growing some stuff.

I would if I had space for a garden and lived near a clean ocean :-) in fact I did this for much of my life, my family had a farm and land by the sea. We had vegetable gardens and fruit trees, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, goats, deer, our own forest plot and a while ocean full of seafood and seaweed. Now I live in a townhouse in Melbourne, quite the opposite!

Hello fellow Victorian! :)

That post explains a lot. It seems you are idealising food production somewhat.

Earth hasn't been colonised by Daleks or Borgs. Everything humans make is still natural. People who work in the Cadbury factory aren't out to kill us. :)

Fresh food is good, agreed! But it's not healthy to be afraid of food that might be convenient or a bit on the indulgent side once in a while.

Kind regards.
  • Nakeshia88
    Nakeshia88 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    My new philosophy for food is that if you can't grow it, catch it, kill it or make it yourself then don't eat it. For example: I can grow fruits/vegetables/legumes/grains and nuts so these are OK; I can fish and shoot so meat is OK; and I can/could easily learn to do things like grow/grind my own flour, salt and coffee, I can brew beer, make bread and pasta so these are OK - however, I couldn't make something like Coca Cola or anything containing artificial ingredients/additives so I won't eat these things.

So lately when I'm picking up food that's in a tin, bag or box I'll read the ingredients and ask myself, could I grow or kill these ingredients, process and mix them together myself to make this? If so, then I'll buy it, if not, back it goes! What do you think of this philosophy?

Can you hunt, catch and grow your own food? Go on, try it - go hunting, go fishing, try growing some stuff.

I would if I had space for a garden and lived near a clean ocean :-) in fact I did this for much of my life, my family had a farm and land by the sea. We had vegetable gardens and fruit trees, cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, goats, deer, our own forest plot and a while ocean full of seafood and seaweed. Now I live in a townhouse in Melbourne, quite the opposite!

That sounds ideal. Apparently in the event of a complete breakdown of society humanity would starve because not many people really know how to source food unless it's via a shop. Society has basically un-taught itself how to hunt, catch, kill and prepare.

It was ideal and I feel so blessed to have started out life that way. Unfortunately things change but we can only do the best we do with what we have :-)
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    Rayman79 wrote: »
    I think its great.

Over the past few years I have seen MFP slowly trend from accepting others food choices to becoming more militant about 'macros and calorie counts at the expense of everything else'. In my humble opinion it has gone too far that way.

I am a flexible dieter, and keeping my macros in check is my main focus, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to eat more natural foods and less processed stuff. Instead of applying your own experience and biases, just applaud people for wanting to improve their eating habits. Again, there are very few restrictions mentioned in the OP's post, it is all sensible and not very restrictive at all!

If she cant make it work and needs a more flexible eating plan, then let her come back and ask for that advice when its needed.

^ This.

It's *roughly* how I eat regardless. It's not "hard" I actually did it originally more from a standpoint of wanting to support local farmers rather than a "this will make me lose weight!" stand point.

At the end of the day the majority of this forum concentrates massively on CICO and generally neglects the "wellbeing" and philosophical/belief side of things. The thing is, sometimes that extra little bit of morality behind a reasoning can sometimes make it easier for that "system" to become part of your life rather than something you are just going to try because you've tried everything else and have nothing left to lose...

I guess I still haven't quite gotten used to the immediate negative reactions any time someone makes a post like OP.

"Hey! I wish to make some changes to improve my life and help out others!"... followed by "OMG why, CICO noob, you're an idiot"

Why can't people accept that changes like the one that OP stated aren't a big deal, and if OP decides it isn't working out due to time restrictions or whatever then she's hardly about to hurl herself into a vat of Coca Cola and attempt to drink it all until she explodes...

At the end of the day, you've no idea what OP's original habits are... perhaps the only significant difference will be coke, not exactly a massive deal to be replacing coke with something else.

Go for it OP. I hope it works well for you.

*runs off to find a shakeology person to demean to make up for the support given* that's how this works, right? ;)

*edited to add* looks like this philosophy is an extension of a restricted diet you are already on. re: digestion issues... It's a roll of the dice. You keep trying things and once you find something that works, you stick to it. You stick to it because if you don't then life becomes thoroughly miserable. I hope you find your holy grail. Try what you like and give yourself whatever 'ideals' you like to try and figure it out. Whatever helps.

Thanks for your helpful post :-)
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    Not afr
    Orphia wrote: »

Hello fellow Victorian! :)

That post explains a lot. It seems you are idealising food production somewhat.

Earth hasn't been colonised by Daleks or Borgs. Everything humans make is still natural. People who work in the Cadbury factory aren't out to kill us. :)

Fresh food is good, agreed! But it's not healthy to be afraid of food that might be convenient or a bit on the indulgent side once in a while.

Kind regards.

Not afraid, just cautious about what I put in my body, you would be too if certain foods messed up your body in ways you would never wish on anyone!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The only reason you can't make something like Coca-Cola is that you don't have the recipe.
  • jingerbird
    jingerbird Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have to be careful what I eat every day. I can't have things like Diet Coke, it really upsets my system as does too many carbs. I try to stick to a healthy eating plan with plenty of fruit and veggies but it isn't always easy, sometimes impossible. But I know that the more I stick to healthy eating, the better I feel and the more weight I lose.
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    The only reason you can't make something like Coca-Cola is that you don't have the recipe.

I also don't own a laboratory or a contraption to carbonate water... http://food-handler.blogspot.com.au/2008/02/coca-cola-how-to-make-coca-cola-at-home.html?m=1 I don't think I personally could grow or make caramel colouring, phosphoric acid or whatever instant gum is either, or even learn how to... I don't have a food science degree! But if you could do this then good for you, go for it :-)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Unless you grow your own food, you can't count on anything. Chemicals and other wastes are sometimes buried underground and then crops are planted above. There is also runoff from "impure" sites that get into the food chain. Trying to avoid it all is laudable--but pretty impossible. I too, grew up on a farm, and we ate our own produce, animals, fruits etc. Yes, it's the best, but the majority of the people in the world can't do this. Therefore you do your best, but keep in mind that it's pointless to restrict too much--in my opinion. Good luck. B)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Do you have enough space for a couple of wooden pallets? That's what I've used for my garden beds. Staple/nail weed mat to the open side, flip over, fill with soil and plant between the wooden slats for nice neat rows of delicious veggies :).
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    it's misinformed and oversimplified.

most pasta and breads, despite being something you could prepare at home, are just empty calories.
    i doubt you could make your own probiotic yogurt by your dietary standards since you likely can't gather the bacterial cultures yourself, but it's great for you.

Pasta is not empty calories. It is a source of carbs and also contain protein and micronutrients as well. Bread also does but not as much as a serving of pasta.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with this philosophy if you're excited about adhering to it for the rest of your life.

But if you don't think you can do it, or the thought of never having diet coke again makes you sad, you might consider a philosophy that moves you closer to your health goals but isn't as strict.

This^^ otherwise it doesn't sound bad.
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    Weight isn't the issue here, the issue is giving my body the best fuel possible. I guess I'm just starting to take a more hollistic view to health and wellbeing - I want to keep things as natural as I can most of the time that's all, and it's a theory, not a dead set rule.

I like your theory.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    In for philosophy ' “A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.”
  • fr3smyl
    Options
    My eating philosophy is if another human being ate it before and did not die within 5 minutes, I'll eat it.

:D
  • fr3smyl
    Options

I do this but mainly because I'm a cheapskate. :p
  • Nakeshia88
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »
    My eating philosophy is if another human being ate it before and did not die within 5 minutes, I'll eat it.

What if they died in 10 but you'd eaten it after 6 minutes?!

• fr3smyl
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    But...those things aren't bad for you.

Perhaps not, but to put it simply I'm trying to eat things that are as nature has provided them, or as close as possible to...

http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/37-appeal-to-nature

Cocaine, arsenic, strychnine and snake venom are all natural. Does that make them good for you?

Yes
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

Come to Tassie, you will find all that and more :smiley:

• fr3smyl
    edited May 2015
    Options
    fr3smyl wrote: »

What if they died in 10 but you'd eaten it after 6 minutes?!

After the 10 minutes it wouldn't bother me as much. I funny know what the other poster thought. But it had been quite a few minutes since they posted...
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This is a diet and health site. We don't take kindly to people choosing to eat real foods. We promote enjoying the decadence of processed garbage and anyone that thinks different from us must be orthorexic.