Side effects of eating (mostly) clean?

Options
I've been trying to eat mostly clean - with all foods made from ingredients and not packaged where possible for almost two weeks. I've found that I'm almost getting "anxiety" attacks with heart racing occasionally - I've looked online and have seen that as I am sort of "detoxing" that things like this, headaches etc. can happen. I never had this particular side effect when I've cut out sugar before. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did it eventually even out?
I'm worried that with all my fruit and veg, though I'm eating healthier, there are other things I'm having sugar with that perahps I should cut down on? I know it's not perfect but one step at a time!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You are detoxing from eating clean food? What's that?
  • cosmicpixie
    cosmicpixie Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Apologies - I probably worded this a bit wrong. I have gone from eating ok-ish to a lot healthier with fresh fruit and veg as much as possible. From what I have read online, this has effectively sent my body into a detox mode (first week I had bad sweats, headaches etc.) I was just wondering if this effect was from that, but now after reading more, I'm not sure if my calorie intake dropped too low last week!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    You are not detoxing from eating clean food. . My guess is you've restricted your diet so much that you've just cut your diet to much and have likely removed something that your body needs
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    You are not detoxing from eating clean food. . My guess is you've restricted your diet so much that you've just cut your diet to much and have likely removed something that your body needs

This!10000%
  • cosmicpixie
    Options
    Thanks guys - I'll keep tinkering with it and see if things improve. This part of things is all a bit new to me as I'm so used to eating a lot more processed food.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Did you give up soda/caffeinated beverages, too? Withdrawal from caffeine can sometimes be a nasty process.
  • DoctorGreenthumb
    DoctorGreenthumb Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Human bodies don't "go into detox mode". Lol.
  • cosmicpixie
    Options
    I've actually never drank soda (don't like fizzy drinks- a freak I know!) :-) - I still keep my 2 cups of tea per day which I have done for the last few years so I'm hoping that isn't it.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    If you gave up caffeine or used to eat a lot of sugar and gave that up, then yes, that could cause headaches, etc. It's withdrawal.
  • cosmicpixie
    Options
    Ah withdrawal - that's probably the word I should have used as opposed to detox. I've cut out "processed" sugars and the sugar I add myself to things like sweet potato bread. Perhaps that's it!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    No. If you are still eating fruit, you are still eating sugar. You aren't detoxing your body from sugar, nor do you need to...

Perhaps your symptoms of an anxiety attack are related to... Anxiety?
  • kshaevel
    kshaevel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe you are lacking potassium which caused the anxiety feeling. You can't really replace it through supplements, you need to eat some high potassium foods.
  • andrea218
    andrea218 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you eat clean, whole, unprocessed food, your body reacts differently. If you want the FACTS, please read "It Starts with Food" by Dallas Hartwig and Melissa Hartwig (founders of Whole30). It is on the NY Times bestseller's list.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

This.
  • lourachalex27
    lourachalex27 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Week one this would maybe be withdrawal/detox... week two this is strange. Either you aren't eating enough calories, you aren't getting the balance right between nutrients, or there is something more at play here. I'd see a doctor or a dietician if you can. Congratulations on cutting out processed stuff but you are right to always question it - if this particular "clean" diet isn't making you feel too good then maybe it isn't quite right for your body. Everyone is different.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I read the labels on everything if I can't pronounce the first 5 things I don't buy it- Congrats
  • cosmicpixie
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    The whole "detox" thing is a load of bunk. Your body has a liver and kidneys and they remove toxins from your body. If you live in a developed nation, it's a virtual certainty that there are no significant levels of toxins in your food.

If you've started a calorie restriction, you can expect to feel it within the first week. I've heard it described as feeling "jacked up on the inside and worn out on the outside". I can best describe it as feeling "on edge", as if there were an electrical current running through me. But a general lack of energy/motivation to do anything. You may feel cold and/or irritable.
  • Sorchya
    Sorchya Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    kshaevel wrote: »
    I believe you are lacking potassium which caused the anxiety feeling. You can't really replace it through supplements, you need to eat some high potassium foods.
    high in potassium: leafy greens, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, citrus fruit, brocolli, asparagus. you may be getting some already :)