Is a fast diet unhealthy? 500 cals a day?

Options

Replies

• blondielou1992
    blondielou1992 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh, well, if it was in a free magazine AND if celebrities do it, it must be 100% safe and effective!

[Insert eyeroll here].

Oh bore off.. comment irrelevant ... "INSERT EYE ROLL"

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Oh, well, if it was in a free magazine AND if celebrities do it, it must be 100% safe and effective!

[Insert eyeroll here].

It's actually pretty relevant. And from your responses so far it's pretty obvious that this thread wasn't real.

oh my .. now the existential angst of posting in an unreal thread

the evens I can't ...
  • crystalgulliver
    crystalgulliver Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Before everyone starts jumping to conclusions!

A magazine that came free with the newspaper a couple of weeks ago has suggested a so called "fast diet" whereby you eat around 500-600 calories every day for 10 days to lose weight which is the diet used by celebrities such as Benedict Cumberbatch and various others.

Is this safe for 10 days? If so what could you be expected to lose in this time?

I currently weigh 120 pounds but want to lose 5 more to be at my ideal goal! I am 5ft 3

Thanks!

I've done the 5:2 diet before which is what a lot of celebrities have done (Philip Schofield lost a stone I think)
    Eat 500 calories for two days (not two days next to each other) and around 1200 calories the other days. Wouldn't recommend doing just 500 calories for 10 days straight! There are loads of apps etc for fasting day/low calorie recipes xxx
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    If Benefiber Cumberbund does it.....it must be good
    BenniHana Cumbersome
    Bennifer Cucumberpatch

Made of win. Cannot stop laughing.

Saddest thing about MFP? Can't respond with the naughty variations on his name.

• martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    500 a day will never be healthy and is not maintainable.

OP in your original post you stated "I currently weigh 120 pounds but want to lose 5 more to be at my ideal goal! I am 5ft 3"

According to https://www.rush.edu/health-wellness/quick-guides/what-is-a-healthy-weight that means you are within the healthy range of 107 to 140 lbs for your height.

I think it's time that you start eating more and start lifting those weights. Check out the various new rules for lifting for women threads. In order to achieve that "Toned" look you need to have some muscle too.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

[Insert eyeroll here].

It's actually pretty relevant. And from your responses so far it's pretty obvious that this thread wasn't real.

the evens I can't ...

awqOHwD.jpg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

[Insert eyeroll here].

the evens I can't ...

awqOHwD.jpg

Oh my :bigsmile:
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    There is also evidence that Wilford Brimley looks like a walrus.

zn0ssoabuh6n.jpg

Literally laughed out loud... :D
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

[Insert eyeroll here].

Or, it is real, because I see a lot of behaviors that indicate that the magazines are hitting the perfect target demographic with their articles about celebrity fad diets....
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

[Insert eyeroll here].

Or, it is real, because I see a lot of behaviors that indicate that the magazines are hitting the perfect target demographic with their articles about celebrity fad diets....

Well if it was real, the take home message -- the 500 calorie diet isn't a viable, long-term option for permanent weight loss. So if the OP was truly looking for an answer, it was given. :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

[Insert eyeroll here].

Well if it was real, the take home message -- the 500 calorie diet isn't a viable, long-term option for permanent weight loss. So if the OP was truly looking for an answer, it was given. :)

Yeah I think the more accurate statement would be that the OP did not intend to listen to any advice other than what she wanted to hear, not that the thread wasn't real...

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

[Insert eyeroll here].

Yeah I think the more accurate statement would be that the OP did not intend to listen to any advice other than what she wanted to hear, not that the thread wasn't real...

Sadly, too many come here seeking validation rather than advice and any information contrary to their preconceived world view gets ignored.
  • mizzlarabee
    Options

[Insert eyeroll here].

Good point :)
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    OP you posted back in February that you had 5lbs to lose. It is now 3 months down the line and you are still looking for a quick fix for something that you could have solved by now if you had listened to the solid advice you were given at the time.

SMH.

^^THIS^^

• doylejohnpaul787
    doylejohnpaul787 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well if it was real, the take home message -- the 500 calorie diet isn't a viable, long-term option for permanent weight loss.

Why not? You eat 500 calories for two days a week and maintenance the rest of the time. When you hit your goal weight, you cut out the fasting days and eat at maintenance every day. Why isn't that a viable long-term option? In a way it seems easier as you would get used to eating at maintenance level right from the start.

MFP set my target at 1200 calories a day when I joined up, and though I have increased my daily target since, I am finding it a challenge to actually increase the amount I am eating. I have lost an average of 0.5 lbs a day since I started about 5 weeks ago.
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    Well if it was real, the take home message -- the 500 calorie diet isn't a viable, long-term option for permanent weight loss.

Why not? You eat 500 calories for two days a week and maintenance the rest of the time. When you hit your goal weight, you cut out the fasting days and eat at maintenance every day. Why isn't that a viable long-term option? In a way it seems easier as you would get used to eating at maintenance level right from the start.

MFP set my target at 1200 calories a day when I joined up, and though I have increased my daily target since, I am finding it a challenge to actually increase the amount I am eating. I have lost an average of 0.5 lbs a day since I started about 5 weeks ago.

Because it isn't applicable to individual needs. It also isn't a viable option, because the only diet that works, is the one you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

OP's not talking about 5:2 fasting. She's talking about eating 500 calories a day for 10 days. There's no eating at maintenance any other day, just a flat 500 calories every. single. day.