Spaghetti Squash

Options
124»

Replies

• RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Also should try Kale its a super food my favorite soup is Zuppa from olive Garden and I found a recipe I throw together in my crock pot. Serves: 6-8 Prep Time: 20 Min Cook Time: 2 Hr
    Ingredients
    1 1 lb ground italian sausage
    1 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
    1 large white onions
    4 Tbsp bacon, cooked
    1 tsp garlic puree
    10 c water
    5 pkg chicken bouillon
    1 c heavy cream
    3 large potato
    1/4 bunch fresh kale, chopped
    OLIVE GARDEN ZUPPA TOSCANA

Sauté Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients.
    In the same pan, sauté bacon, onions and garlic over low-medium heat for approximately 15 mins. or until the onions are soft.
    Add chicken bouillon and water to the pot and heat until it starts to boil.
    Add the sliced potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour.
    Add the heavy cream and just cook until thoroughly heated.
    Stir in the sausage and the kale, let all heat through and serve.
  • healthymelisa
    healthymelisa Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love Spaghetti squash. The easiest way to cook it is to cut in half, with upside down in a casserole dish with 2 tbls of water, microwave for about 10 min.

I put a little evoo and fresh parm cheese on my. So yummy!
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Since I'm too cheap to buy am actual spiral peeler, I use a regular peeler. Put the zucchini in a skillet, add a bit of butter or EVOO for about 10 minutes and then pour 1/2 a cup of spaghetti sauce. So much healthier and lighter for ya. Zucchini has been my best friend :-D
  • kjensencat
    Options
    For the microwave, simply pierce the squash all over, lay down a paper towel, and put the whole squash into the microwave for 12 min! Let sit for a few minutes and then cut in half and shred. Delicious! This is how I cook mine all of the time.
  • chainone
    chainone Posts: 42
    Options
    Tip for those looking for longer "noodles" out of the squash and have some extra baking time! Don't cut it lengthwise, cut it across the equator. The strands run around like a spring, not lengthwise.

Makes a better vinegary pasta salad that way! :smile:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a good recipe for Microwaving it. It is just Too Hot to put it in the Oven right now.
    Has anyone had good luck with Microwaving it? Do you HAVE to cut it in half first?

to use it in the place of pasta, i put it in the microwave. I put it in a casserole dish with about a half and inch of water and cook it for about 8 minutes. then i check it, see if its soft with a fork but usually have to put it in for at least 8 more minutes before its done..

I love spaghetti squash, almost as much as i love pasta. my daughter wont eat it because of the texture but i actually like the flavor more than pasta.
  • momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I slice it half, scoop out the seeds, put a bit of water in a pie plate, put the 1/2 of squash cut side down in the dish and cover with saran wrap and microwave for 10-15 minutes or until tender.

Then after it has cooled a few minutes, I fork it up and put spaghetti sauce on it and serve as pasta.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I used to use spaghetti squash a lot.....I used to pierce it with a fork several times and then throw it in the microwave for 10 minutes or so. You will have to google the length of time to be sure....I can't remember. However, the squash was soft.

Once it had cooled, I'd cut it in half, remove the seeds and shred the rest with a fork. I'd use it under anything with a sauce or gravy. I've gotten off of it for a while, but think I'll try halving and roasting one to see if there's any difference in flavour. :)

Ohhhhh okay so it IS just a regular squash that you have to make yourself. That sounds very doable. I just hope I don't mess it up. Thanks again

Nearly impossible to mess up.

I just cut it in half, remove seeds, pierce outside with knife and put face down on baking sheet in the oven for like 30-45 on around 400 degrees. Until you can easily pierce the outside of it with a fork, that's usually when it's done. Then just shred the insides with a fork. I put regular meat marinara sauce over it with some parm cheese.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Bump - Going for squash today at the store.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i cut mine in half long ways. fill a baking dish half way up with water, season the water with season salt and pepper. i lay the half of spaghetti squash meat (inside) down into the water and bake for about 45 minutes at about 400. when i take it out, it shreds into a pasta type material.

for my sauce, i chop up all sorts of fresh veggies. green, yellow, red bell peppers... onion... mushroom... fresh garlic... even a couple jalepeno slices if you like some spice... i brown that alone in a nonstick pan (no oil), then i add in 1 cup of low cal pasta sauce (50 cals per 1/2 cup) as well as some fresh chopped spinach and tomatoe. bring it all to a simmer, and serve over the squash... so freekin good! even my kids eat it!
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Must try this!
  • Irene657
    Irene657 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thanks been wondering how to do that myself
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I microwave mine all the time. Cut in half length-wise. Place 1 half upside down on a glass plate and microwave for about 8 minutes on High. Let sit for a few minutes and then take a fork and just shred it out of the inside. Its related to the pumpkin so you will have to gut the seeds before cooking! I just sprinkle some sea salt,garlic powder, and parmesean cheese on and EAT!
  • Itsmylifenow13
    Itsmylifenow13 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say I don't know how Heathy this is but I cut it length- wise put salt & pepper a little butter cook in oven about 1 1/2 hours till soft fry some turkey burger I use bacon too shed it and eat it like that its good.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Ive eaten it as left overs all week. It is awesome. cut my calories in half.