Options

Replies

• Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    "SLLRunner wrote: »
    My goal is to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories daily. If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour.

Do you see what is going on here, and why advising her to carry on in this manner is harmful?

Actually, yeh. I do. She is looking to sustain a 1200 calorie daily intake. The part about going over the 1200 triggering the exercise mode to burn off the calorie intake over 1200 makes it a 1200 daily target. See?

Target 1200 calories a day (btw apeyboo, I wouldn't recommend the lower end of 1000 a day). You eat 1500 calories one day. You exercise to burn off your excess 300 calories to maintain the target 1200 calories. It's really not that complex.

That's what I took it to mean as well, not that she was aiming for a sub-1000 net. And I'm truly not getting this exercise-as-punishment or disordered behaviour thing that everyone keeps mentioning. To me it comes across as someone who dislikes exercise trying to motivate themselves to do a little more with the promise of more calories.

And I thought she said she wanted to lose 30 pounds by the end of the summer; that's over three months away (not a month), is it not? While that may still be an over-ambitious goal, I put that down to youthful optimism, not some kind of disordered thinking.

She didn't mention this here but I looked up her other post that someone linked to above; her current exercise plan is walking on a treadmill. Everyone has to start somewhere so I'm not dissing this at all, but it's hardly gut-busting stuff or going to burn off hundreds of extra calories every day. People in that thread advised her to cut her calories more and forget about the exercise, so I'm sure we've all confused the OP enough now that she won't be returning to read any of this anyway!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I do something like this.
    If I go over I have to eat that much less the next day plus add in exercise to equal that amount. So if I am over for example today 100 cal then tomorrow I can only eat 100 calories less than normal and do my regular exercise plus burn 100 more. Keeps me from going way over because I like to eat and a day with no food is not good. If I stay on track for a certain amount of time I also reward myself with something non food. It could be new flip flops or a day out in my kayak ( rarely have the time). I however do not have my goal set at 1000 cal per day because even a little slip up would be bad.

So you double ding yourself for eating over goal?
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    kristydi wrote: »
    aimeerace wrote: »
    It's a great idea.

If you're an actual Hobbit. If not no. Not a good idea in the slightest.

What self respecting hobbit would do this???

I am half hobbit, and therefore I have coffee, breakfast, brunch, elevensies, lunch, tea, snack, dinner, supper, and dessert.

Hobbits know how to eat.

We really need a like button. 'Cause I like this!

Ditto
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Apparently since some people eat 1200 calories on Mfp, it is healthy for all mfp members to eat 1200 calories even if they are continuing to exercise as punishment and not eating those exercise calories back. Because logic.

Actually, that is a pretty scary logic. ALL people on MFP are not the same height, weight, gender, etc. Thus, ALL people on MFP need to consider their own needs and physical limits when setting calorie and other health/fitness goals.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My goal is to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories daily
    =/=
    someone who dislikes exercise trying to motivate [herself] to do a little more with the promise of more calories.
  • mizzlarabee
    mizzlarabee Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I go over I have to eat that much less the next day plus add in exercise to equal that amount. So if I am over for example today 100 cal then tomorrow I can only eat 100 calories less than normal and do my regular exercise plus burn 100 more. Keeps me from going way over because I like to eat and a day with no food is not good. If I stay on track for a certain amount of time I also reward myself with something non food. It could be new flip flops or a day out in my kayak ( rarely have the time). I however do not have my goal set at 1000 cal per day because even a little slip up would be bad.

I thought the same thing... :/
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    My goal is to consume about 1000 to 1200 calories daily. If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour.

Do you see what is going on here, and why advising her to carry on in this manner is harmful?

Actually, yeh. I do. She is looking to sustain a 1200 calorie daily intake. The part about going over the 1200 triggering the exercise mode to burn off the calorie intake over 1200 makes it a 1200 daily target. See?

Target 1200 calories a day (btw apeyboo, I wouldn't recommend the lower end of 1000 a day). You eat 1500 calories one day. You exercise to burn off your excess 300 calories to maintain the target 1200 calories. It's really not that complex.

That's what I took it to mean as well, not that she was aiming for a sub-1000 net. And I'm truly not getting this exercise-as-punishment or disordered behaviour thing that everyone keeps mentioning. To me it comes across as someone who dislikes exercise trying to motivate themselves to do a little more with the promise of more calories.

And I thought she said she wanted to lose 30 pounds by the end of the summer; that's over three months away (not a month), is it not? While that may still be an over-ambitious goal, I put that down to youthful optimism, not some kind of disordered thinking.

She didn't mention this here but I looked up her other post that someone linked to above; her current exercise plan is walking on a treadmill. Everyone has to start somewhere so I'm not dissing this at all, but it's hardly gut-busting stuff or going to burn off hundreds of extra calories every day. People in that thread advised her to cut her calories more and forget about the exercise, so I'm sure we've all confused the OP enough now that she won't be returning to read any of this anyway!

You may not get it, but I have seen that lead to disordered behaviour so many times. Food is not something to be earned nor rewarded.

She asked a question, she received clear, logical answers from a community of people who are educated, and shared said education with her. She argued and defended her approach instead of learning from her question. Everyone does have to start somewhere, but don't ask questions if you don't want to hear the answers.
  • FullofTrixie
    FullofTrixie Posts: 41 Member
    Options

I guess but it keeps me accountable. I have all kinds of rules
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You may not get it, but I have seen that lead to disordered behaviour so many times. Food is not something to be earned nor rewarded.

In that case, there are a hell of a lot of f***ed up people on MFP, because I can't count the number of times I've seen people post that their motivation to exercise is that they get to eat more, or that they've 'earned' their chocolate at the end of the day, or that their daily [insert name of junk food] keeps them 'sane', or words to that effect.
    And with that cheery thought, I'm getting the hell outta here, so good day one and all!
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    forgtmenot wrote: »
    Apparently since some people eat 1200 calories on Mfp, it is healthy for all mfp members to eat 1200 calories even if they are continuing to exercise as punishment and not eating those exercise calories back. Because logic.

Actually, that is a pretty scary logic. ALL people on MFP are not the same height, weight, gender, etc. Thus, ALL people on MFP need to consider their own needs and physical limits when setting calorie and other health/fitness goals.

I'm pretty sure forgetmenot's comment was meant to be sarcastic.

Lol it was.
  • mizzlarabee
    Options
    common_sense_-_so_rare_its_a_god_damn_super_power.jpg
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Are the rest of your rules as disordered?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    My goal is to consume about 1000 to 12000 calories daily . If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour.

Following that line of thought, what if OP was only 8 calories over? She 'punishes' herself for going over her goal, works out an hour, and then what is she netting?

Hint: It's not 1200 calories.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    So Op drops the question here what you all think.
    Everybody says bad idea
    OP start defending the idea and will go ahead with her plan

Next subject/post please.

And repeat myself ...................

And add to it
    And while everybody is discussing wrong or right of this idea and OP's stats, OP never returns.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

"All kinds of rules" aren't going to help you lose and keep it off. "All kinds of rules" set you up for gaining it all back because you're no longer subject to restrictive rules once you hit target (if you even last that long).
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My goal is to consume about 1000 to 12000 calories daily . If I go over 1200 calories I have to workout for an hour.

Nope. That is not what this thread is about. You're right, it's not that complex, but your analysis is off.