i want to give up help

Options
2»

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    i ate eggs and toast / a chicken roll / steak and potatos / a yogart / and about 10 strawberrys
    That is enough to feed a mouse. No wonder you want to give up. Add some fruit to the breakfast. A large bowl of salad or vegetables to lunch. Ditto for dinner.

Uhhhh- how do you know? The calorie count could be 3k+. You don't know how much of each they ate...
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I checked your profile, and you said that you tried calorie counting in the past, failed, and are not planning on calorie counting with this weight loss journey. Calorie counting is crucial to weight loss; something as simple as being 250 calories off (very easy when eyeballing portions) can throw me from maintaining my weight to gaining. If you really want to be successful in losing weight, I recommend getting a food scale, weighing everything, logging everything, and sticking to your calorie goal. It gets a lot easier with time and practice and will become habit if you stick to it.

I hate to sound mean, but nobody is going to hold your hand during this process. You either want to be motivated to lose weight, or you don't. No amount of motivation from others is going to help if you are not motivated.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Why not try logging your food for a week, getting familiar with how to do it? Once you do that, go back and look at what you've logged and figure out a way to make cuts and make your diet healthier that won't be all that burdensome. If you approach it the right way MFP can help you make this as easy as possible.

My understanding is just the process of logging food tends to encourage people to make better choices, but you don't have to do everything all at once and you don't want to go super low cal or restrictive as you won't be able to stick with it.

I lost 95 lbs in a little more than a year, and I was able to do that because I made it pleasant for myself and wasn't too hard on myself.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have just read the first couple posts from the OP. I'm sorry for being blunt, but:

Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard. Pick your hard.

If you really want to make a change and be successful, listen to the great advice on this site. Set your weight loss goals to a reasonable amount. Weight, measure and log everything you eat. Eat at a calorie deficit to lose weight. Exercise to feel good and get fit. Take each day one at a time and create good habits. Practicing this every day makes it become easier.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the "you don't have to eat healthy to lose weight" comments. Sorry, but the food matters. And healthy doesn't mean low calorie and low fat. Dump the processed crap, eat real food, eat enough and focus on permanent change. A temporary change in diet will only give temporary results.

There are ways to eat and lose weight without calorie counting but you would likely find those lifestyles too "hard". For now, pick a calorie goal that fits with where you are (no adult should be eating 1200 calories!) and commit to doing it. Healthy foods are far more filling (again not low fat, but low sugar would be very beneficial) than struggling to "moderate" a diet full of junk. All food is not created equal and if one is malnourished you will always be struggling with over-eating because the body is not getting adequate micro-nutrients even while it is getting too many calories and storing fat like crazy.

Your choice. It's not really that hard and if it is, try a different strategy. Or just give up I guess.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Gotta love the "you don't have to eat healthy to lose weight" comments. Sorry, but the food matters. And healthy doesn't mean low calorie and low fat. Dump the processed crap, eat real food, eat enough and focus on permanent change. A temporary change in diet will only give temporary results.

There are ways to eat and lose weight without calorie counting but you would likely find those lifestyles too "hard". For now, pick a calorie goal that fits with where you are (no adult should be eating 1200 calories!) and commit to doing it. Healthy foods are far more filling (again not low fat, but low sugar would be very beneficial) than struggling to "moderate" a diet full of junk. All food is not created equal and if one is malnourished you will always be struggling with over-eating because the body is not getting adequate micro-nutrients even while it is getting too many calories and storing fat like crazy.

Your choice. It's not really that hard and if it is, try a different strategy. Or just give up I guess.

When it comes to weight loss, CICO is all that matters. That's not saying eat nothing but unhealthy foods all day, but they don't have to be cut out completely
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I tried fasting twice, for religious reasons. I failed both times. Never lasted the day. Was I a failure or was my plan unrealistic?

I've learned that some religious fasts are just until sundown. That sounds more manageable.

Have you thought through what your clean meals will look like and how much you can eat a day? What is your ultimate goal? Some people give up because they think they have to eat perfectly all the time. That's a recipe for failure. If you shoot for maybe 80% good choices, you might see yourself to a sustainable diet.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

When it comes to weight loss, CICO is all that matters. That's not saying eat nothing but unhealthy foods all day, but they don't have to be cut out completely

I challenge anyone to meet their calorie goals eating a diet full of junk. THE FOOD MATTERS.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am curious about what you feel you are giving up that is so difficult? It is understandable. Many of us have had stressful days and used food for comfort. I guess what I am saying is that it is ok to let yourself feel what you are feeling. You came here and asked for help so I suspect you are feeling something you don't like. It is part of the weight loss journey.

I am kinda older and grew up in an environment where children were seen and not heard. Feelings and ouburst were not encouraged. I guess I never learned to feel anything or I wasn't comforted as a child... I discovered drinking and eating when feeling came up and spent a lot of my adult life drunk and fat because I didn't know how to comfort myself. Just saying that this is an emotional journey for most of us.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

I challenge anyone to meet their calorie goals eating a diet full of junk. THE FOOD MATTERS.

Look up the Twinkie diet
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    If you can't hack Day 1, you need to re-evaluate your choices. Are you on too restrictive a diet? Have you tried to set too many goals at once? Are you actually interested in a long-term lifestyle change where healthy eating becomes the norm? Is what you are doing sustainable? Are you eating enough?

Figure it out and try again. If you want to succeed, you will. It's as simple as that.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    im not even finished day 1 and i want to give up im trying hard not to

One whole day??? Do you give up that easily every time you're faced with a challenge? Yikes!

• allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    im not even finished day 1 and i want to give up im trying hard not to

Then you aren't ready to do this. I know. I wasn't ready for 20+ years. Then finally I got tired of being sick and tired. I decided to stop acting like a child doing whatever felt good and decided to be an adult who makes a plan and sticks to it. When I eat extra it is because I choose to do it. If I blow one choice I don't give up on the whole day. Its been 17 months. I'm down 100 lbs. Only 1 more to go. Then I plan to repeat that 1pound loss another 100 times. It might take another 17 months or more. So what. I'm doing it for me. No one else. So I decide what success is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    When you want this, you'll do it. It's as simple as that.
  • kisses71213
    kisses71213 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've given up and started over sooo many times, but every time i fall off the wagon i get up off the ground, dust myself off, and jump back on when i feel i can handle the bumpy road again..!! each day is a new day.. today i binged..... tomorrow i will try again. Invest energy in yourself, and you will be rewarded. Some people have harder lives than others, some people have to work EXTRA hard to lose 30 lbs, while some the weight just falls off without them even trying. You're on the right track... just take a break and think hard about how much you want this.. then begin again. Start over!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

It's possible because calories are all that matter for weight loss

For nutritional health you could use supplements

Of course the majority of people who advocate CICO tend to believe I'm hitting your macro and micro nutrients but just it is the calories that underpin EVERY weight loss strategy

Stop labelling food ...you can meet nutritional targets with pizza and cheeseburger and icecream as part of your varied diet

• megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to give up? Because it's daunting? It's hard? You're hungry?

I've been doing this for about 67 days and it's not hard, I'm not hungry and now the small weekly loses are adding up I'm not daunted by the road ahead.

Have you exercised or moved in any way? It will give you more calories to play with. I am not "dieting". I am logging everything I eat, exercising regularly and keeping within 1200 (plus exercise cals).

I see you say you don't want to calorie count. That's the joy of MFP. Use the bar code scanner on all your ingredients. Once your regular foods are in there it's super quick to add.

It's your body. There's not an instant magic pill, spell or operation here.
  • dalem48
    dalem48 Posts: 86 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    To be 100% blunt- if you are that quick to throw in the towel, you likely won't succeed.

This right here.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    i have not set any calories im just tryin

<boggle>

You're 100% right to give up on those shenanigans. It doesn't work so give up on it now.

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

Look up the Twinkie diet

I lost my first 36 pounds (4 years ago) on a *strict* diet of frozen pizzas, Cap'n Crunch, PopTarts, and Pepsi... with the occasional nite out at Taco Bell when I wanted to treat my Lady to a fancy dinner out ;)