Best Fat Burning Techniques

Options
Today I read on a couple websites that doing cardio after lifting is better for fat burning than doing it beforehand. Does anybody know any reasoning behind this?

Also, I read that high-intensity metabolic lifting (or something like that) is best for fat burning. I don't necessarily lift on a circuit but I do try to not have very much rest between sets and exercises. Am I accomplishing the same thing?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Fat burning happens at rest more than when one is exercising. Exercising burns calories and the majority of those calories will be from stored glycogen.
    So if you want to burn fat efficiently, eat a modest calorie deficit and make sure to get enough rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • arian10daddy
    arian10daddy Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    The reasoning is pretty simple @tbridges8. I'll probably try to answer your points one by one, and maybe other more competent folks can correct me if I'm wrong.
    tbridges8 wrote: »
    Today I read on a couple websites that doing cardio after lifting is better for fat burning than doing it beforehand. Does anybody know any reasoning behind this?

The reason behind this is, if you exert all your calories and drain your body of energy on Cardio first, then you won't be able to push yourself enough for weight training. As you know the muscles grow when they 'crack up' (i.e. when they tear apart). That's why the big guns say, don't start counting your reps from the first set, start counting them from the last rep that you can lift because the ones you do AFTER that are the ones that count. These are the ones that tear up your muscles and make them grow later in the rest phase.
    Now, if you won't have any strength left for those final reps, how are you going to grow new muscles?
    tbridges8 wrote: »
    Also, I read that high-intensity metabolic lifting (or something like that) is best for fat burning. I don't necessarily lift on a circuit but I do try to not have very much rest between sets and exercises. Am I accomplishing the same thing?

I'm not an expert in this but I would say what you do is the way everybody leans up after the gaining phase. That's when people are more into body building. But do keep in mind that your body also needs rest inbetween and It's just a matter of how much of rest you are giving to your body after each set. Don't over push your body!! NOT HEALTHY!!
    I am no bodybuilder and I personally prefer a circuit with almost no rest between exercises therefore completing 1 set, and then enough rest before the next set of the circuit so that my body is able to take up the bashing again...

I hope this helps you...