waist training. Good or bad?

Options
b1104
b1104 Posts: 10 Member
I just wanted everyone's opinion on waist training, I see it all over social media and some of the results lool absolutely amazing. I myself am thinking of getting one alongside regular workouts. I have struggled to lose weight in the past ( due to poor diet and being on the implant) I just want to know if the pros out weigh the cons and if it will benefit me in a positive way. Honest opinions please.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Stupid. Don't bother. It's not going to help you lose weight or have any positive benefit.
  • FitStrongHealthy
    FitStrongHealthy Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which type of "waist training" you're talking about, the type with an elastic corset (which isn't waist training at all) or the type with a lace up bone corset. If you plan to use a lace up bone corset I would consult a doctor about it and get monitored regularly while using it. It can be very dangerous to waist train and many people hurt themselves because they don't know what they're doing and they weren't monitored by a doctor. Now I'm not trying to tell that you should or shouldn't waist train, that's your choice to make, I'm just trying to tell you to be careful if you decide to go for it.
  • b1104
    Options
    I meant the lace up bone corset, I wasn't planning on getting it to 'help lose weight' it would simply have been to lose inches around my waist and make me more shapely. Thank you for your advice.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Watch this video from 20:00 to 32:00 and tell me that it is a good idea. I especially like the testing they did with the corset on that shows just how restricted your breathing is. (And yes, today's "waist trainers are no different than the Victorian Corset)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSq28wG9cYM
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Low level waist training is pretty safe, I do a little and can cinch up to 6 inches because I am already narrow waisted and a good natural hourglass. It's not a way to lose inches though, you'd have to do it for years and years to a more extreme level for it to change your physical anatomy. Diet and exercise will improve your overall shape but you can't force something that's not already there anatomically.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    No no no.
  • b1104
    Options
    To be quite honest I am naturally 'curvy' but I've always had a problem with succesful maintenance 'wash board abs' lol. Also I wasn't planning on getting a 10" waist I just wanted to accentuate what I akready have. However I will do tons of research and will watch the video.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    First off, it won't help you lose weight but it will stress your body by dislocating internal organs and your ribs. If the health consequences are worth it to you, go for it, but you are warned.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do love the scare stories, light waist training is not going to break any ribs or move any organs. But if you're trying to find your abs you need to lose fat and cinching just temporarily displaces that fat, the only way to do it is by diet. There's no easy way I'm afraid.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    b1104 wrote: »
    To be quite honest I am naturally 'curvy' but I've always had a problem with succesful maintenance 'wash board abs' lol. Also I wasn't planning on getting a 10" waist I just wanted to accentuate what I akready have. However I will do tons of research and will watch the video.

The abs come with lower body fat which mostly come with losing weight. You're better off sticking to a calorie deficit than trying a waist trainer, since as it has been mentioned multiple times, they are not safe.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_naaypbLlhX1qgt12i.gif
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Seems like a super intelligent thing to do...
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine that that does to your internal organs...

Demi-lovato-x-factor-peace-out-yo-its-a-no.gif
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I vote "bad".
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am going to go with no. But, mainly because if I am going to be uncomfortable, I would rather be doing an exercise or workout that gives me full body benefits (cardiovascular, more energy, weight loss, etc.) AND slims my waist than just being uncomfortable in a type of corset. I have no facts or anything to back that up, I just personally think it is not worth the results.
  • marinaruv
    marinaruv Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done extensive research before ordering mine, and I have both the latex and boned. Just because you are using them dosent mean she is aiming to get a 10' inch waist for that waist in the video. It helps you with your eating as well. You really feel when you are full. That was my problem, when I see food on the plate, I eat it ALL. But the waist trainer helps me know when I am actually full. I would say go for it and give it a try, but like everything else, in moderation.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    marinaruv wrote: »
    I have done extensive research before ordering mine, and I have both the latex and boned. Just because you are using them dosent mean she is aiming to get a 10' inch waist for that waist in the video. It helps you with your eating as well. You really feel when you are full. That was my problem, when I see food on the plate, I eat it ALL. But the waist trainer helps me know when I am actually full. I would say go for it and give it a try, but like everything else, in moderation.

Wouldn't it make sense to learn how to observe the natural signals from your body that you are full?
  • b1104
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Seems like a super intelligent thing to do...

There was no need for sarcasm at all. Rudeness etc is unnecessary besides I asked for opinions on whether it is a good thing or bad you answered neither so I don't understand the point of your response.

As stated before I'll do more research on it before I decide whether or not I'll get it, otherwise thanks guys on your opinions.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    marinaruv wrote: »

No no no.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I say whatever floats your boat. Shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't wearing it excessively.

Ahh I remember the days when only goths wore corsets! Now everyone who sees Kim Kardashian wants to waist train.