waist training. Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    just no. really, what's wrong with a good diet and exercise? can't stand all the faddish bs. why do people always want an easy route. challenge and struggle build character
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    just no. really, what's wrong with a good diet and exercise? can't stand all the faddish bs. why do people always want an easy route. challenge and struggle build character

I agree with this. I have bought into so many fads over the years and nothing has worked as well as good ole CICO. I think I am finally getting it.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »

Not to mention the end result looks like a toothpaste tube squeezed in the middle.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    waste training
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    The only positive is if you like the look.
    OK, and it does support your back, but only while you wear it. That
    leads to more dependance on the corset, which leads to more muscle
    atrophy, etc. It's a deteriorating circle.

The negatives are many, depending on how long/much you do it.
    A couple of the biggies:

Squishing your internal organs out of place, so they can't function as
    well... that includes your lungs, so you're not breathing right. That's a
    large part of why women used to have 'fainting spells'.

You could end up reshaping your lower ribs. I'm pretty sure they've
    evolved to be as they are because that's the best arrangement.

And if you could get pregnant, it could make the fetus misshapen or
    even miscarry because of a lack of space.
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    b1104 wrote: »
    To be quite honest I am naturally 'curvy' but I've always had a problem with succesful maintenance 'wash board abs' lol. Also I wasn't planning on getting a 10" waist I just wanted to accentuate what I akready have. However I will do tons of research and will watch the video.

OP, No. Dear God, No. Don't waste your money or your time.

If you're looking for abs, check this out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach#latest
  • Ryanstwin
    Ryanstwin Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Some bodybuilders use waist trainers in addition to their weight training regiment in order to gain a certain type of aesthetic look they are trying to reach . These are men who want nicely developed upper body and a smaller waist. They also eat smaller meals amongst other things to keep their waist line slimmer than other bulkier body builders. So if you want to try it go for it. Not saying it will magically burn fat from your abdominal section but it should help with the shape. My opinion is solely based on the results I see with these guys. Hope this helps
  • b1104
    b1104 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your opinions it's given me a lot to think about, I'll keep trying the eating healthy calorie counting & regular exercise and hopefully overtime that hour glass shape will appear lol.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Ryanstwin wrote: »
    Some bodybuilders use waist trainers in addition to their weight training regiment in order to gain a certain type of aesthetic look they are trying to reach . These are men who want nicely developed upper body and a smaller waist. They also eat smaller meals amongst other things to keep their waist line slimmer than other bulkier body builders. So if you want to try it go for it. Not saying it will magically burn fat from your abdominal section but it should help with the shape. My opinion is solely based on the results I see with these guys. Hope this helps

Uh, what?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    No no no.

This
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

I've never saw a body builder use a corset
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this was a core training question. Core training is excellent. It won't shrink your waist though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Waste of time and money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    My general rule is to suggest doing the opposite of what any Kardashian/Jenner does. But I'm a dude, so who know.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to those elastic type waist bands that Kim Kardashian and a few others have posted on social media? That's not what I would consider to be bone corset/waist training, it's literally a band that you wear around your midsection and makes you sweaty.
    The perception that they are promoting is that it helps to "control eating" because of the added pressure, you "feel less full" ultimately resulting in a decrease of caloric intake, also resulting in a "smaller waist."

...and about the body builders, there are some IFBB Pro females who do promote these same style of bands, there is one woman I see on FB, Linda Burbesson, who is pretty fit, but she promotes the trainer, so with her already fit body and defined abs, with the trainer, most folks assume she obtained it via the trainer..so it's misleading.

If you want abs, lower your overall body fat percentage, a band around the belly, really just makes you sweaty, and nothing else. Learn to engage and keep your core tight in lifts such as a DL, Squats, Bench..etc.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

Uh, what?

When I read that I assume he means the neoprene waist wraps that just attach with velcro. I know those are very popular with the competitors at my gym prior to shows. For $5-$10 though they aren't moving any organs and just making you sweat more.

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Uh, what?

When I read that I assume he means the neoprene waist wraps that just attach with velcro. I know those are very popular with the competitors at my gym prior to shows. For $5-$10 though they aren't moving any organs and just making you sweat more.

I've never seen this in person or anywhere else amongst competitors, especially with men.
  • VegasFit
    Options

Uh, what?

I've never seen this in person or anywhere else amongst competitors, especially with men.

Lol! I see it all the time especially close to shows but these guys and gals are also placing so who am I to judge.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    Are you referring to those elastic type waist bands that Kim Kardashian and a few others have posted on social media? That's not what I would consider to be bone corset/waist training, it's literally a band that you wear around your midsection and makes you sweaty.
    The perception that they are promoting is that it helps to "control eating" because of the added pressure, you "feel less full" ultimately resulting in a decrease of caloric intake, also resulting in a "smaller waist."

...and about the body builders, there are some IFBB Pro females who do promote these same style of bands, there is one woman I see on FB, Linda Burbesson, who is pretty fit, but she promotes the trainer, so with her already fit body and defined abs, with the trainer, most folks assume she obtained it via the trainer..so it's misleading.

If you want abs, lower your overall body fat percentage, a band around the belly, really just makes you sweaty, and nothing else. Learn to engage and keep your core tight in lifts such as a DL, Squats, Bench..etc.

I used to follow her but I felt like her IG just became a big sales pitch after awhile.

• Ryanstwin
    Ryanstwin Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Uh, what?

Lol! I see it all the time especially close to shows but these guys and gals are also placing so who am I to judge.

Artemus Dolgin wears one under his clothes all day . Not the woman's corset version tho