Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The Skinny on Obesity

Replies

• Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    3bambi3 wrote: »

I don't know Alan Arangon... I see he's a body builder with an M.S. in Nutrition. I'll check him out, but so far this article comes off as fairly unprofessional--basically him just throwing shade at Lustig without adding anything meaningful or any other theories.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

I don't know Alan Arangon... I see he's a body builder with an M.S. in Nutrition. I'll check him out, but so far this article comes off as fairly unprofessional--basically him just throwing shade at Lustig without adding anything meaningful or any other theories.

Disagreeing and providing science-based rebuttals to arguments is not "throwing shade"
  • Crisseyda

Disagreeing and providing science-based rebuttals to arguments is not "throwing shade"

yay, win for science!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

He debunked him with science. Links are at the bottom of the page...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Heres' an article I trust:
    http://www.drsharma.ca/why-banning-sugar-will-not-solve-obesity

Browse, skip, skim at leisure.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    This won't end well.

I don't have the time or inclination to watch. I agree with Niner that over-consumption of anything, including sugar is not good for anyone.

Lustig's single-minded focus on fructose misses the point that obesity has many possible factors and is extremely complicated. I personally put on 30 pounds not eating sugar or starchy carbs because my problem was NOT with sugar, it was with food in general. I seriously doubt that I am alone in this.

The other problem is that for all the possible different factors involved, not all of them necessarily apply to everyone who is obese. For example, living in an urban desert and the unavailability of healthy food at an affordable price is known to be a factor for some, but that doesn't apply to me.

The last problem is that Lustig's work is easily rebutted with other findings. Alan Aragon nicely pulled together a rebuttal full of citations to The Bitter Truth, if you'd like a link.

Edit: Ah, Bambi beat me to it.

Yup, he mentions all those factors you did. He definitely defines it as a multi-factorial problem. You're just setting up a straw man.

Wasn't my intent.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    David Katz on fructose and Lustig:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/fructose-fruit_b_3694684.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-katz-md/sugar-health-evil-toxic_b_850032.html

The distortion of the message about fructose into people thinking they should avoid fruit is seen constantly on MFP.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Beat me to it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Thanks for the links, I'll check them out when I have more time (at work now). I guess I'll need to watch the Lustig videos too.

I did read about a recent clinical study that showed foods sweetened with fructose triggered less satiety and more hunger than foods sweetened with glucose. I think I'm glad I don't have much of a sweet tooth.

There are studies on the Aragon link regarding satiety which have different findings.

• Hornsby
    Listening to Lustig and taking what he says as truth is a lot like listening to Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher and taking what they say as truth. It's propaganda with a sprinkle of truth, and a lot of scaremongering to freak out the gullible people who believe things without ever doing their own research.
  • HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    To me, this was a great video. He is saying that we are adding sugar to foods that don't really need sugar. A lot of people think that eating fruit is great, but the issue is they are eating too much fruit. A banana is really 2 servings of fruit, not one. I know a lot of people who will eat 5 servings of fruit a day, yes they are over-weight. Too much can do damage to your liver. Ashton Kutcher did an all fruit diet and ended up in the hospital.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Lustig's single-minded focus on fructose misses the point that obesity has many possible factors and is extremely complicated. I personally put on 30 pounds not eating sugar or starchy carbs because my problem was NOT with sugar, it was with food in general. I seriously doubt that I am alone in this.

The other problem is that for all the possible different factors involved, not all of them necessarily apply to everyone who is obese. For example, living in an urban desert and the unavailability of healthy food at an affordable price is known to be a factor for some, but that doesn't apply to me.

I really agree with this. For example, the idea that we need some special explanation involving insulin and leptin and hunger levels to explain why people get fat in contemporary America seems strange to me. I think those things may play a role and sure they should be researched, but Lustig seems to be hooked onto by people who want to say it's not simply eating too much and that people can't be expected to take personal responsibility, which is why I think it gets so much push back here.

I think it's interesting that there IS some subset of people who seem to really struggle with feelings of physical hunger and that for them often low carb (not merely low sugar) helps. But I don't believe that most overweight people are really at the mercy of physical hunger. I think it's a matter of humans liking to eat even when not especially hungry for lots of reasons or being bad with hunger signals.

And of course I'm biased by my own personal issues (which have never been sugar or starchy carbs, particularly, or eating lots of highly processed foods with the dread hidden sugar).
  • jgnatca
    If Lustig is balanced and suggesting that obesity is multi-factorial, why has he suggested regulation and tax on fructose?
  • Crisseyda
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Listening to Lustig and taking what he says as truth is a lot like listening to Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher and taking what they say as truth. It's propaganda with a sprinkle of truth, and a lot of scaremongering to freak out the gullible people who believe things without ever doing their own research.

Well, the man cares about a serious problem. CDC estimates that by 2035, 95% of us will be overweight or obese. By 2050, 1/3 of us will have diabetes....

But you know the CDC! Fear mongerers. smh.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Bump for later reading
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member

Well, the man cares about a serious problem. CDC estimates that by 2035, 95% of us will be overweight or obese. By 2050, 1/3 of us will have diabetes....

No one is saying not those things aren't concerning. Only that sugar isn't what is causing the obesity epidemic. Overconsumption of everything, not just sugar. Demonizing one particular thing and singling it out as a culprit is a bit ridiculous.

It's like blaming my financial troubles on my dog. Yeah, he costs a lot, but I'm the one in control of my money, and he didn't really need that fur-line parka, did he?
  • Hornsby

Yes, but making up false truths for profit makes him slime.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited May 2015

Hm. The last I heard, obesity estimates had essentially leveled out. Also, many people are concerned about obesity, who don't think sugar is the problem. They also care about a "serious problem," but you're conveniently ignoring them.

Also, you're demanding we have an open mind about Lustig, despite good evidence demonstrating that he is at the best single-minded and at the worst full of it, yet you shoot down everything everyone has posted because we're not being open enough. Then, you change the subject and are patronizing. Mhm.

• jgnatca
    Single-solution proponents like Lustig muddy the issue and could potentially disrupt plans to get a handle on this epidemic.

It's waving handfuls of violets in the hopes of stopping the plague.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

You were complaining about straw men?