13»

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    freeoscar wrote: »
    Psalm37v4 wrote: »
    I've been on a strict Paleo for 2 months. I've lost 12 lbs eating 1500 calories a day with a goal of eating 130g of protein a day, which on Paleo is challenging, but I have a rhythm now. No dairy, grains, added sugar (to include honey or maple syrup), or legumes. I feel good, think more clearly and have lots more energy. I tried it last year but my heart wasn't really in it and I quit after two weeks. This time I really wanted to give it a sincere effort and I'm glad I did.

I'm not that familiar with Paleo - why is it that you can't eat legumes?

Beans & Legumes contain anti-nutrients that prevent the absorption of vitamins & nutrients.

honestly, I can't tell if that is the 'real' reason, or if you are just being facetious.

Excellent example of Poe's law
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been on a strict Paleo for 2 months. I've lost 12 lbs eating 1500 calories a day with a goal of eating 130g of protein a day, which on Paleo is challenging, but I have a rhythm now. No dairy, grains, added sugar (to include honey or maple syrup), or legumes. I feel good, think more clearly and have lots more energy. I tried it last year but my heart wasn't really in it and I quit after two weeks. This time I really wanted to give it a sincere effort and I'm glad I did.

Beans & Legumes contain anti-nutrients that prevent the absorption of vitamins & nutrients.

The "antinutrients" are phytic acid and are just as high in the nuts that are allowed on the Paleo diet.

Edit: article on legumes and Paleo http://chriskresser.com/are-legumes-paleo/

Members of the spinach family, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and black tea all contain antinutrients too.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

The "antinutrients" are phytic acid and are just as high in the nuts that are allowed on the Paleo diet.

Members of the spinach family, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, and black tea all contain antinutrients too.

Ha! I consume most of those weekly - black tea daily. I also consume legumes and nuts pretty much daily. How the heck did I live 1/2 century without any health problems??
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't really think the key difference between being paleo and not is whether or not one eats pizza. (That seems to be a common "cheat" for the people I know who are sort of paleo.)

Lots of foods that are easy to fit into a low calorie diet--not that one needs to go that low cal if one is active, as Sugga says--aren't paleo. And, similarly, nothing wrong with being paleo if one wants to be, but one can easily eat in a higher calorie way while doing so.
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

Ha! I consume most of those weekly - black tea daily. I also consume legumes and nuts pretty much daily. How the heck did I live 1/2 century without any health problems??

Good for you that you don't have health problems. I on the other hand cannot consume brussel sprouts because of my autoimmune disease and risk of inflammation. Inflammation is no bueno.

Paleo pizza is awesome by the way, ever tried it? Almond meal for the crust, pure tomato sauce for the sauce and dump a bunch of veggies and sausage on top. Yum Yum.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I have 3 autoimmune diseases. Been there with all the stuff about eliminating anti-inflammatory foods.

Did nothing.

Now auto-immune suppressants? They make a difference.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Ah, legumes are one of my favourite paleo myths to counter, because this:

http://www.mnh.si.edu/highlight/neanderthal_diet/

(link to full article) http://www.pnas.org/content/108/2/486.full

The 'paleo' diet is based on the premise that we shouldn't eat things that our Paleolithic ancestors didn't, because our bodies haven't adapted to cope with them (complete bs, especially when you consider most of the vegetables we eat didn't exist in their current form during the Paleolithic). Anyhoo, you can't get more direct evidence for legume consumption during the Paleolithic than this.

I have no problem with people focussing on eating nutrient-dense foods (I do). I also have no problem with people cutting out foods that actually cause problems for them in terms of health (arbitrarily cutting things on the other hand...). What I do have a problem with is the utterly ridiculous premise 'paleo' is built on, because it has absolutely no basis in reality.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nonimouse misses the point of the Paleo diet in the modern context. Here is an excerpt from Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora Gedgoudas:
    Well, of course as omnivorous hominids they would have eaten almost anything to stay alive. Presumably, we noshed on a grain or two (as certain wild species do exist) scraped up here and there when meat was scarce. Where else would we have gotten the idea to start using them more extensively later on? Of course we knew they were edible! This is a far cry away from Neanderthals getting behind a plow for eight hours a day in the field, baking bread, or eating Grape Nuts for breakfast. Setting aside the fact that Neanderthals are now known to have evolved down a very different hominid line from us, I am still comfortable assuming our Cro- Magnon forebears experimented with eating a variety of things, including the occasional handful of (nongenetically modified) grains— even enjoying a little salad- bar fare once in a while, as the environmental conditions allowed. Who wouldn’t enjoy a bit of asparagus with her steak? Nonetheless, it is widely accepted that it was, in fact, our extended dependence on the meat and fat of animals (rich in eicosapentaenoic acid, or EPA; and docosahexaenoic acid, or DHA) through these frozen winters of unimaginable duration that allowed for the rapid enlargement and development of the human brain. Meat and especially fat would have been the most coveted and important commodities of all. We never would have survived as a species without them. Our increased dependence on hunting also likely helped facilitate and develop the very human qualities that we most intrinsically value— cunning, cooperation, altruism, sharing, advanced creativity, the power to foresee the future and to be able to call upon the past in terms of the future, the capacity to evaluate with complexity, and the ability to imagine solutions— qualities not particularly found in other primates (Ardrey 1976). Also, interestingly, the dominant form of fatty acids in the human brain is omega- 3; in chimps and other primates, it is mostly omega- 6. This is a very significant distinction and one that is the likely result of these evolutionary, ice age–induced dietary changes. Many authors popularizing the notion of Paleolithic diets base their conclusive evidence on the diets of more- contemporary primitive peoples, forgetting that for most of our evolution, the world has been a very, very different place. Either way, it is evident from even the most recent analysis of primitive diets that animal- source foods and fat- soluble nutrients invariably play a critical, central role in such peoples’ extraordinary physical and mental health and freedom from disease, as characterized in primitive peoples and more traditional groups. It is also quite evident that diets consisting of
    any significant quantity of carbohydrates are a strictly modern phenomenon, one that our ice age human physiology has evolved little adaptation to— or defense against. Carbohydrates, other than the largely indigestible variety found in fibrous vegetables and greens, have generally played a minimal role at best through most of human evolution. Fruit was consumed only seasonally by our neo- Paleolithic ancestors in most places, and wild fruit is extremely fibrous and smaller in size, with less total sugar content. Many potatoes and tubers would have required extensive cooking to neutralize extremely toxic alkaloids. Wild varieties that would have been available to us through most of our history as a species can be especially toxic. In other words, it isn’t likely we were eating baked potatoes with our woolly mammoth steaks— or much starch at all. In fact, of all the macronutrients (that
    is, protein, fats, and carbohydrates), the only ones for which there are no actual human dietary requirements are carbohydrates. This is a critical and very fundamental point to remember: we don’t ever have to eat any sugar or starch of any kind at all in order to be optimally healthy. Our bodies can manufacture glucose, as needed, from a combination of protein and fat in the diet. As a matter of fact, glucose is really needed only in an ongoing way mainly for fueling our red blood cells. Most organs and tissues in the body, including the brain, actually prefer, if we let them, to use ketones, the energy- producing by- products from the metabolism of fats. This fact is very overlooked or misunderstood by the majority of medical and nutritional experts.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Paleotard fantasyland ^^^^
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Paleo Diet Rules from Primal Body Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Lifeby Nora Gedgaudas:
    1. Don’t consume anything that causes a negative physiological reaction.
    2. Eat good lipids from pastured meats, fish, butter, yogurt, coconuts, avocados, and a few other key sources.
    3. Moderate amounts of quality protein, primarily from animal sources and some nuts.
    4. Carbohydrate intake is kept low to moderate from, mainly from nonstarchy vegetables and some fruit (seasonally).

• Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Nope, you're the one missing the point.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    No, you are.
  • miriamtob
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Paleo isn't perfect and it could use some rebranding, but being a vegetarian isn't perfect either. It's ideals are based on some faulty premises as well. Calling it "Faleo" like you have in other threads is derogatory and offensive. How would you like we call you a Vegetard? Doesn't sound very supportive, does it? Why don't you just read the excerpt from the book? It doesn't even refute what you posted!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Jesus H...look, I don't give a rat's how you eat, but the fact is 'paleo' is not supported by archaeological evidence. THAT was my point. And spouting stuff from someone with absolutely no qualifications in that area really isn't going to convince me otherwise.
  • miriamtob
    Options
    Well, I guess it makes you feel better about yourself to constantly harp on that aspect...I am trying to clarify what the WOE means in this modern day.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    Paleo isn't perfect and it could use some rebranding, but being a vegetarian isn't perfect either. It's ideals are based on some faulty premises as well. Calling it "Faleo" like you have in other threads is derogatory and offensive. How would you like we call you a Vegetard? Doesn't sound very supportive, does it? Why don't you just read the excerpt from the book? It doesn't even refute what you posted!

I did read the excerpt, it is full of misinterpretations and outdated thinking, and assumes that we can't adapt to new/different ways of eating (if we couldn't, we'd have died out a long, long time ago, the Neolithic Revolution isn't the first time our diet underwent a dramatic change). And fyi 'faleo' is a shortening of 'fake paleo'. I don't see how that is derogatory.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »

Because "vegetard" is super offensive on more than on account? I mean, how on earth do you even think combining a word with "retard" to insult someone is on the same plane? I'm honestly flabbergasted there.