What to do when you absolutely dread exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• Haima
    Haima Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Laser Tag is fun and it doesn't feel like exercise : )
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I hate paying bills. I do it anyways.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have never liked sports. I played softball for years and hated it. In my opinion sports, walks, bike rides, etc. are boring. I really do want to exercise I just don't enjoy it. What do i do to get motivated to want to exercise?

you just...
    go.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    try lifting - may appear boring - until you start noticing the results :wink:

or get a dog - they are never boring....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Or make it a means to an end. I'm not a fan of running.

However I do it because it will make me better at punching people in the face.

I *like* punching people.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's nothing boring about going for a hike and nearly stepping on a 5' long snake, let me tell you. :laugh:

I might need a somewhat more boring exercise routine after that.
  • tlab827
    tlab827 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    or get a dog - they are never boring....

This. The best part of my day is taking my 2 crazy dogs for a walk. They love it!
  • PhattiPhat
    PhattiPhat Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I heard it said before that it takes around 3 weeks to establish a habit. I hated working out, seriously. I went.....no... "forced" ...myself to go to the gym 5-6 days a week for 3 weeks straight. Not only did the habit develop, but I actually started to see why people enjoyed going. I was bored in the beginning, sure. Before it was a habit I could think of 100 other things I could be doing rather than be at the gym for an hour. The boredom also made me seek out other ways at the gym that I could spend my time working on, which is how i started on weights. That was in January. I now enjoy working out, and if I miss a day I will think about it and find a way to work it in. For me, it grew on me. But I definitely slogged thru the first few weeks. Maybe commit to an activity for at least 3 weeks then re-evaluate? You just gotta do SOMETHING or you'll never figure it out.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I do love to run, so I have that advantage.

Hate strength though. For strength I have the You Are Your Gym ap on my phone. 3 times a week I do the body weight exercises while watching mindless tv. Works for me because I consider it my tv time not workout time.