Women's Clothing Sizes

Options
13»

Replies

• jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Lukyanenko wrote: »
    @jessica22222 I have much the same problem, and for me the solution have been jeans with high waist. Those are hit and miss as well,but generally I find more that fits me then not.

I always thought the high waste jeans would make my bum look bigger so I've never even tried them on. Are they ok for big behinds? I do like having a big bum just not clothing it haha!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i think it really depends on pocket placement. But ya they can make the butt look bigger, you have to be careful.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Here's what I want for women's clothing
    Waist measurement
    Hip measurement
    Inseam length
    Rise length(from crotch to top of waistband)
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. If you look at size charts, there are small gaps in inches between smaller sizes that larger sizes.

I personally believe it also happens like that because of the way our weight just randomly falls from different places on our bodies, at some point we just hit a spot where we start losing from that "last area" and when it's all coming off there at once, our sizes dropping quickly there as well.

My waist is the last fat drop. I got down to a size and bought pants immediately. a month later I was swimming in them. I buy all my work pants at one store. Went back and was two sizes smaller. I hadnt even dropped 10 pounds. The waist was just the place all the weight was coming off. Bra size changes happened first. Pants size happened last.

So for most of us losing waist, butt, or thighs last, the final "small" clothing a sizes will probably drop quicker than te first ones we lost.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's no consistency in clothing sizes. Even in the same brand and style, two items can fit differently.

This was taken a couple years ago, on the same day, in clothing sized two to ten.

size_zps24f90592.jpg

You rock every single one of those
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it took about 40 pounds for me to go from a 20 (more like a 22 but i was in denial) to an 18. 10 more pounds and i am now in a 16.

go figure.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I tried on several bras today and only one style in one of the brands fit correctly. Even within the same brand, the cup and band fit differed. On a positive note, I bought bras IN a store!! Haven't been able to do that in years.

But yeah, the actual size of clothing is all over the place within one size number. My goal to wear a single digit seems silly, now. Maybe I'll look at pattern sizes and try for measurements instead.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Weird sizing happens (but not nearly as often) in menswear too.

I find that I'm in everything from a 6-12 right now. I'm crazy excited about the single digit sizes but it messes with my head because I don't see a size 6 in the mirror and I know inflation is so rampant that it depresses rather than boosts my ego.

I'm in 6-12 right now too. It makes me laugh because I was a 4-6 in high school, when I was 30+ pounds lighter than I am now. And no, the difference is not muscle weight (though I'd love it if it were.)

Same here. I am 144 at the moment and always hovered around 114 back then. There is a part of me that wishes I still had those clothes to try on--but I'm not sure I need that sort of negativity in my life, y'know? Let me be a size 6 now.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

I personally believe it also happens like that because of the way our weight just randomly falls from different places on our bodies, at some point we just hit a spot where we start losing from that "last area" and when it's all coming off there at once, our sizes dropping quickly there as well.

My waist is the last fat drop. I got down to a size and bought pants immediately. a month later I was swimming in them. I buy all my work pants at one store. Went back and was two sizes smaller. I hadnt even dropped 10 pounds. The waist was just the place all the weight was coming off. Bra size changes happened first. Pants size happened last.

So for most of us losing waist, butt, or thighs last, the final "small" clothing a sizes will probably drop quicker than te first ones we lost.

Good point. I don't have much more to lose on my upper half and I'm a pear shape, maybe I'm finally losing my bottom!

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Here's what I want for women's clothing
    Waist measurement
    Hip measurement
    Inseam length
    Rise length(from crotch to top of waistband)

Even that wouldn't be all that useful, since most of us don't wear our pants or jeans at the waist (narrowest part) but we tend to wear them quite a bit lower. Since women come in different shapes and sizes, some women are more straight up-and-down and have similar waist and low-waist measurements. Others are much larger at the low-waist than at the waist. Depending on how high the pant rise is, it won't do much good to know what the pants are around.

Inseam length, yeah, I hear ya. But most clothing companies just make their stuff in one standard length. If you're shorter, you have to hem. If you're taller, you're SOL.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Lukyanenko wrote: »
    I got two pair of pants a little while ago from H&M. Tried one on, then thought because the cut was so similar, it was basically the same pants in a different colour, that I didn't need to try on the second pair. Big mistake, because the second one was too small, couldn't even come close to zipping it up.

H & M seems to have especially strange sizing and cuts. I've tried on all kinds of things there, but I've never actually bought anything from them.
  • Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @azulvioleta6 They are pretty strange, but when H&M fits? It really fits, and it's not expensive.

• Lukyanenko
    Lukyanenko Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @jessica22222 Like I said, it's a bit hit and miss. It depends in parts on where the pockets are placed and some on how they are cut. All I know is that low rise jeans makes me look like my *kitten* is trying to escape, and "normal" waist makes me look like I don't know my size and just bought the first one I saw.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, sizing is pretty darn inconsistent/arbitrary. At Old Navy where I buy 90% of my things, my tops range from an XS to a M, and my jeans range from a 2 to an 8 depending on the fit. I don't even buy jeans without trying them on anymore. Dress and skirt sizing seems to be more reliable (and at least the measurements are easier online!), so I've sort of given up on shorts entirely and happily put my jeans away for the summer. Skirts & dresses all the way!