• emma_simmons87
    emma_simmons87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This thread is great. I have signed up to a 10k in August
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    Arghh it didn't post my whole reply.
    Ive been jogging 3 weeks. First week did 30 secs and 30 secs walk, 2nd week was 45 seconds and this week I managed 60 seconds and even a min and a half. This is a massive improvement and achievement in my eyes as I'm not one to run. I walk 2 miles on the days I don't jog (try to jog Every other) and do 20 mins a day on my exercise bike. Any tips welcome
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Arghh it didn't post my whole reply.
    Ive been jogging 3 weeks. First week did 30 secs and 30 secs walk, 2nd week was 45 seconds and this week I managed 60 seconds and even a min and a half. This is a massive improvement and achievement in my eyes as I'm not one to run. I walk 2 miles on the days I don't jog (try to jog Every other) and do 20 mins a day on my exercise bike. Any tips welcome

That's so great! C25k is very similar to what you've been doing, so you'll be able to transition immediately, I like the app from Zenlabs because it vibrates and chimes and speaks to me when I'm meant to switch between running and walking, so I don't miss it. Week 2 is 90 seconds running and 2 minutes walking 6 times in a row, so you're about there right now. Good luck!!

Oh, I did W2D3 today, and whilst I completed it just fine, I don't think I'm ready for week 3 yet, so I'm going to do W2D3 one more time before moving on.
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    That sounds achieveable, I'm just in the process of deleting items off my phone so I can download some apps lol. Great advice. Thanks for your help.
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Did w2d2 today hooray!
  • dcernik
    dcernik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    djdavis75 wrote: »
    This morning I finished W1D2 as I repeated W1 from last week. I want to take it slow. I've been walking about 3 miles 3 times a week for a few months now. I start by using C25K by ZenLabs for the first part and then just finish walking until I get my 3 miles in after the app is complete. My problem is dealing with blisters, today I worked one up right on the ball of my foot. Sometimes they are on the sides, sometimes on my heals, but today was the first for the flat of my foot. I don't like wicking socks, they seem to make things worse. I've got about 3 pairs of shoes I rotate thru (all Asics). Any tips?!

Thick, ankle length socks work just fine if you don't like the wicking ones.
    As for the blisters - I had the same problem last time I did this. You definitely need to go to a shoe store for runners and have them evaluate your shoes and gait. I ended up with steadily shoes and custom made inserts. Costly, but WORTH IT.
    Also talked to a physical therapist that told me I have plantar faciatitis (spelling?) and that I was over compensating by altering my foot strike. So stretch those feet and ankles!

Hope this helps!
  • dcernik
    dcernik Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Geez, typos, sorry. Thanks auto correct.
    *stability shoes
  • omnipotentmiku
    omnipotentmiku Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try doing this too~
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    W1d1 complete. I'm so pleased with myself lol :)
  • TristansHawk
    TristansHawk Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For those of you who love zombies, there is a C25K called "Zombies Run!". It incorporates you into the storyline of a zombie apocalypse and uses the music on your phone/whatever while you are running just like the C25K app you are mentioning! I am restarting today :)
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    Quick question regarding c25k, it says week 1 day 1, then day 2 and 3, then goes onto week 2. Is it advisable to run every other day rather than 3 in a row etc? I'm confused :o thanks
  • Megeffer
    Megeffer Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Quick question regarding c25k, it says week 1 day 1, then day 2 and 3, then goes onto week 2. Is it advisable to run every other day rather than 3 in a row etc? I'm confused :o thanks

Yes! They mean for you to have rest days in between.

As for me, I'm supposed to be on week 4 day 1 today. I'm gonna try it but I'm nervous as last week was pretty rough.

• emma_simmons87
    Options

Yes! They mean for you to have rest days in between.

As for me, I'm supposed to be on week 4 day 1 today. I'm gonna try it but I'm nervous as last week was pretty rough.

Perfect thank you. I did wonder.
    Eeek, I'm sure you will do just fine. I have looked at each day over the weeks and they look horrendous. No pain no gain
  • SimoneBee12
    Options

I sometimes do day 3 twice because I just don't feel like I'm ready yet, and I don't want to do really badly on the day 1 of the next week and get deterred and give up. Maybe you should try it? Especially because I'm already doing this 4-5 days a week, so it doesn't take up any extra weeks for me. And I feel better in the end.

Today I'll be doing Week 2 Day 3 for the second time. Then tomorrow starting Week 3.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    You might all want to use the daily check in thread at http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k this group.

Lots of active C25K users as well as several who're well beyond that stage.

Personally I used C25K just over two years ago, and did my second half marathon this morning

THANK YOU!
    I had asked in another post about groups on here for c5K.. but didn't get much of a response.

I will be doing day 2 of week 1 today.. not looking forward to it.. painful! lol

• Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Good job to everyone who is doing this! Your working your way to a healthier happier you!! Its been pouring rain here too so my plan has been delayed a bit. Let's just keep going. :smiley:
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    Its w1d2 for me today. My calves are really aching I'm going to do this. The weather here is horrendous so I'm hoping the wind will just blow me through it (wishful thinking)
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    Did W3D1 today, completed it all, the second 3 minute run was actually a lot easier than the first 3 minute run, which was nice, looking forward to doing the next one!
  • adelearlitt
    adelearlitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've just completed W1D2 and find it's just the right level for me right now. My question is: I can't afford running shoes and am running in flip flops. So I do most of my running on the beach barefoot. Is barefoot running in sand ok for the continuing training? Feels great now
  • maggieeric1
    maggieeric1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've just completed W1D2 and find it's just the right level for me right now. My question is: I can't afford running shoes and am running in flip flops. So I do most of my running on the beach barefoot. Is barefoot running in sand ok for the continuing training? Feels great now

Get some good shoes as soon as you can! Do not run in flip flops. Running barefoot on sand is great tho. (As long as there isn't any glass or rocks/shells and it is nice soft sand)