In the absence of other options - Smith Machine?

2»

Replies

• christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 595 Member
    Its kind of like this one, not 100% it has the pegs sticking out on it though.

nz3dlk.jpg
    My gym has one of those. Is it safe to use this without a spotter? That's why I opted to use the Smith Machine. I thought it looked "safer". I also didn't even realize until tonight that there was anything wrong with it. I used it for squats, BP, and OHP.
  • kellzi89
    kellzi89 Posts: 65 Member
    [/quote]
    My gym has one of those. Is it safe to use this without a spotter? That's why I opted to use the Smith Machine. I thought it looked "safer". I also didn't even realize until tonight that there was anything wrong with it. I used it for squats, BP, and OHP.
    [/quote]

I agree I thought the smith machine was the safer option?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    front squats; goblet squats
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    I passed on a membership at my local Planet Fitness because they only had Smith Machines. No stabilization muscle usage, limited range of motion, just bad in general!
  • Brando904
    Brando904 Posts: 11
    I find it odd almost everyone bad mouths the smith machine. It's great for someone starting out or doing squats and bench pressing. The machine allows the person to keep a lined form and work the actual muscles needed for the exercise. With natural free weights you are limited to squatting in just one position while the smith machine let's you place your feet further out from underneath your body to work the hamstrings and glutes more. Also with bench press, not everyone uses the proper form nor do they have a spotter always around to catch the bar in the event you become to weak to lift it back up. You can't break form on the smith machine for the simple fact its only going in an up or down position. Yes I admit you don't work the stabilizer muscles like you would free form but you can slowly graduate to a regular bench or A frame. Bad form can cripple any effort to exercise. Why not learn from a smith machine, then move up the difficulty? Last I checked, we crawled before we walked. Just my thoughts and opinions. Hope I don't offend anyone. Have a great day everyone! :wink: