couch 2 5k

Options

Replies

• devonrmorris
    Options
    I really want to try this program, but I am totally out of shape. Like, embarrassingly so. If I were to try it, it would definitely be on the treadmill (highs here in the upper 90's this time of year). But even on the treadmill, I can barely jog at 4 mph for more than 2 minutes (albeit at an incline). I'm thinking when they say "COUCH" to 5k, they don't really mean serious couch potatoes like me.
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

I started yesterday and as I am a newbie to 'proper' exercise, I need the support and encouragement. I found out I am majorly unfit and very very slow but I really enjoyed it and I'm so proud I've done it. I actually can't wait to go tomorrow!

Please add me!!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    im doing it, but really slowly. ive tried it before and i just got overwhelmed when the running stints got longer. this time i'm really taking my time because i WANT to be able to run, and i dont want it to be too scary
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the zombie version. Started C25K last year but ended up with severe shin splints and then health problems took over. Went back to it five weeks ago and took a week of last week as exams ( although I did run with my sis in law) and should have been on week 5 this week. however I've been having problems with groin pain so trying new trainers out so sticking to week 4.
  • shemyg06
    shemyg06 Posts: 84
    Options
    I myself was a serious couch potato, spent most of my free time playing halo and call of duty, and my job is a desk job, but I have started it, albeit im only in week two, actually just completed week2 day 1 but im trying
    I run on a track as well, when it gets longer ill have to switch to a trail though, I know when I hit the end of a lap, I loose motivation to run, I always do, so I need to increase the lap radius past 1/4 mile to really progress
  • NewMama221
    NewMama221 Posts: 22
    Options
    This has been something I've wanted to try; but it makes me nervous. For starters I've got a messed up foot, but part of me wonders that if I start at this slowly I can get my foot to "learn" to deal with the pain. I've also never ever been a runner.
  • clobern
    clobern Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 this week. Been doing great, but nervous about this week as I am supposed to start running for 5-8 minutes straight. I'll miss Friday since I will be camping, but I will probably redo week 5 next week to make up for it.
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    Tomorrow will be week5 day one for me! Looking forward to it! I really enjoy this so far and I never in a million yrs thought I would say that about running! Hope it helps me lose this last 10 lbs as well!!
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I am starting week 5 this week. Been doing great, but nervous about this week as I am supposed to start running for 5-8 minutes straight. I'll miss Friday since I will be camping, but I will probably redo week 5 next week to make up for it.
    Don't be too nervous. I know, I know... easier said than done. I just did W5D3 yesterday, and if you had told me a few weeks ago that by mid-June, I would run for 20 minutes without a walk break, I would've laughed in your face. You're ready, and you can do it. I feel like week 4 is a kind of "apex" if you will, and once you get past it, you can definitely do week 5.

One thing I noticed in the 8 and 20 minute runs is that I (and others) started to get kind of tired a few minutes in. That will probably happen to you, but keep going! If you can push past the start, you'll be fine. Getting a longer run started is the hardest part because your body is still getting in the groove and getting your pace going.
  • jdsamford
    jdsamford Posts: 2
    Options
    I finished week 9 last week! In week two, I thought I was going to die during my first 90 second run. But at the end of it all, I ended up running five extra minutes after the last 30 minute run was up just because I felt I could! I've started looking into 5Ks in my area to run this summer!
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I will do Week 6 Day 2 tomorrow. Great program for a non-execiser like me!

Best advice I ever got was go to a running store and get properly fitted running shoes as soon as you possibly can. Everything else can be worked around.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Best advice I ever got was go to a running store and get properly fitted running shoes as soon as you possibly can. Everything else can be worked around.
    Seconded! Definitely get fitted for shoes that are appropriate for you and your gait!
  • dimeen
    dimeen Posts: 1
    Options
    I finished week 6 yesterday and week 6 was a surprise each day! I too jog more than run, but I can feel the difference in my endurance with each run. Love this program and I am not afraid that I will hurt myself.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I did it a little over a year ago. Great program!
  • acrumly27
    acrumly27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just starting this program today!!! Going to need all the help and luck I can get!!!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I totally flopped today on w4d1 so I'll be trying again for it Wednesday.
    To everyone worried about being out of shape- that's the point! You start at the bottom and build up. You can even add in a couple weeks building up to the first week of the program. Don't be afraid to go for it, it really does get easier.
    I got partway through last year on the treadmill and then switched outside when the weather got better until I got sick and stopped. It took a couple weeks to adjust to outside.
  • shemyg06
    shemyg06 Posts: 84
    Options
    well today is a rest day so went for a 15 minute treadmill walk, I may walk another 15 after work though, feeling some type away about tomorrow, week 2 day 1 beat me up so bad I am afraid, but I will still enter the ring head held high, lol
  • crista_b
    Options
    For anyone that doesn't have an app. There's a good reference here for timing. And it has check boxes for when you complete a day.

http://www.tombenninger.com/files/2011/09/VisualC25K.v1_0b.png
  • FrecklesAndLocs
    FrecklesAndLocs Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am starting in the morning. Any way I can jump on the support train? Thank you please!
  • KymmyJoy
    KymmyJoy Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I totally flopped today on w4d1 so I'll be trying again for it Wednesday.
    To everyone worried about being out of shape- that's the point! You start at the bottom and build up. You can even add in a couple weeks building up to the first week of the program. Don't be afraid to go for it, it really does get easier.
    I got partway through last year on the treadmill and then switched outside when the weather got better until I got sick and stopped. It took a couple weeks to adjust to outside.

I finished week 3 yesterday and really not looking forward to week 4. Looks tough. I'm finding my running is getting better but even just the 3 minutes kills me. Still so much prefer the shorter bursts. How did it go today, where did you struggle and did you just walk it out or adjust the run time and try to keep some?

I HATE RUNNING!