When will I start to lose weight after starting Stronglifts 5x5?

Options
mora982
mora982 Posts: 169 Member
Hello pals, I'm new to weight lifting. I lift on a deficit, I aim to 1300-1500 calories.
I started Stronglifts 5x5 10 days ago. During first week I lost 0.5 kg and 0.7 % BF (which is 1kg fat loss ) while gained 0.3 kg muscles. My body is retaining water also!! I'm afraid that when I go higher on weights I won't lose much weight on the scale. I know that Bf % and Muscles are more important than the numbers on the scale. Still I want to see progress both ways as I've 39 kgs (85 lbs) to lose!!!

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ummm how are you measuring this muscle gain?

Do you use a food scale to weight all solids?

how long has it been?

You will lose weight when you are in a calorie deficit, not because of strong lifts...
  • mora982
    Options
    The muscle gain, fat loss and all other numbers I get from my doctor using InBody 170 (it measures body fat, muscles, water).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mora982 wrote: »
    The muscle gain, fat loss and all other numbers I get from my doctor using InBody 170 (it measures body fat, muscles, water).

that is a scale?

if yes, I would be a little wary of the numbers. As the the only reliable methods I know of are a good ole tape measure, bod pod, or dexa scan…..
  • mora982
    Options
    It is a device approved by FDA. If you google it you can see it is said to be Biospace Body Composition Analyzer!! I don't know what this means actually.
  • dogwhisperette
    dogwhisperette Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump. I also started stronglifts 5x5 last week, interested in following
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    sorry to break it to you - but no way you put on almost a pound of muscle in one week!!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    The reality is any new exercise program will cause you to hold water weight (for up to 4-6 weeks even). Take measurements and don't use the scale as your only indication of progress. You've got competing goals right now, pick which is more important to you: scale loss or strength training.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting won't cause weight loss alone. You need to eat at a deficit to lose weight. You stated that you eat 1300/1500 , are you using a food scale to weigh everything you consume?
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    personally i wouldnt trust its accuracy any more than i would a regular scale that does body fat....you will probably find the variability in its accuracy is huge - and more than what it said you lost
  • mora982
    Options
    I am using a food scale to weight everything!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think I retained water for the first 2 weeks, but I'll have to check. I also retained water again when I switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (similar to Stronglifts with some additional muscle work).
    I have lost weight though.
  • mora982
    Options
    sorry to break it to you - but no way you put on almost a pound of muscle in one week!!

Even for a beginner?? I'd like to know the normal rate of gaining muscles and losing fat!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You're doing weightlifting on only 1300-1500 calories a day? I'd be less worried about weight loss and more worried about fatigue and injury.
  • mora982
    Options
    The reality is any new exercise program will cause you to hold water weight (for up to 4-6 weeks even). Take measurements and don't use the scale as your only indication of progress. You've got competing goals right now, pick which is more important to you: scale loss or strength training.

I'll take measurements next week and see if there is any progress!! I started to get some comments from people around that I'm getting smaller!! Oh and I did Jillian Michaels 30DS before but only level 1 before starting lifting.
  • mora982
    Options
    I think I retained water for the first 2 weeks, but I'll have to check. I also retained water again when I switched to Ice Cream Fitness 5x5 (similar to Stronglifts with some additional muscle work).
    I have lost weight though.

Sounds great!!
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hello pals, I'm new to weight lifting. I lift on a deficit, I aim to 1300-1500 calories.
    I started Stronglifts 5x5 10 days ago. During first week I lost 0.5 kg and 0.7 % BF (which is 1kg fat loss ) while gained 0.3 kg muscles. My body is retaining water also!! I'm afraid that when I go higher on weights I won't lose much weight on the scale. I know that Bf % and Muscles are more important than the numbers on the scale. Still I want to see progress both ways as I've 39 kgs (85 lbs) to lose!!!

To answer the title question: Never. You will lose weight by eating less than you burn. What type of exercise you do, it is irrelevent to weight loss. So, if the goal is to lose weight by doing 5x5, you are doing ti wrong. It is a strenght training program, not a magic weight loss formula.
    As for the muscle gain, no it did not happen. You did not gain 300 grams of muscle in 10 days. In total you lost 200 grams and that's it. I do not know what the machine you are referring to is, but I bet if you find the specs it will not promise accuracy as high as you think it does.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    A deficit is all you need to lose. What you do for exercise will help with your body composition.

Doing SL 5x5 will help you retain your muscle mass so that you end up smaller over the long run. Doing SL 5x5 won't necessarily help you lose if your diet is out of control.

Keep weighing and logging all of your food. If you stay in a deficit, you will lose. Your losses may be masked for the first 4-6 weeks as your body retains water to help repair your muscles.

Anything that uses electrodes to measure your BF% is highly inaccurate. These scales/handheld devices can be impacted by: your hydration level, any food left in your digestive tract, if you worked out before using it, etc. Dexa scan, calipers (when used by a trained professional, BodPod, and hydrostatic weighing are the best methods. All of these still have margins of error, but they aren't as large as electrode methods.

As for your rate of muscle gain and fat loss: it's based on genetics. However, it is highly unlikely that you are gaining any significant amount of muscle on a deficit. As a newbie, you may see some gains, but probably not almost a pound. As your newbie gains wear off, you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Those kind of scales are not accurate, so don't waste your money getting more done. Measure your progress in inches and photos.

Change takes time - work hard, eat at a deficit and you will transform yourself.
  • mora982
    Options
    You're doing weightlifting on only 1300-1500 calories a day? I'd be less worried about weight loss and more worried about fatigue and injury.

I'm still lifting somehow light weights as I'm a beginner!!
    My progress so far is

SQ 17.5 kg 5x5
    OHP 15 kg 5x5
    Row 12.5 kg 5x5
    Bench 12.5 kg 5x5
    DLF 25 kg 1x5

Any recommendations for calories on lifting days!!
  • mora982
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

To answer the title question: Never. You will lose weight by eating less than you burn. What type of exercise you do, it is irrelevent to weight loss. So, if the goal is to lose weight by doing 5x5, you are doing ti wrong. It is a strenght training program, not a magic weight loss formula.
    As for the muscle gain, no it did not happen. You did not gain 300 grams of muscle in 10 days. In total you lost 200 grams and that's it. I do not know what the machine you are referring to is, but I bet if you find the specs it will not promise accuracy as high as you think it does.
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    A deficit is all you need to lose. What you do for exercise will help with your body composition.

Doing SL 5x5 will help you retain your muscle mass so that you end up smaller over the long run. Doing SL 5x5 won't necessarily help you lose if your diet is out of control.

Keep weighing and logging all of your food. If you stay in a deficit, you will lose. Your losses may be masked for the first 4-6 weeks as your body retains water to help repair your muscles.

Anything that uses electrodes to measure your BF% is highly inaccurate. These scales/handheld devices can be impacted by: your hydration level, any food left in your digestive tract, if you worked out before using it, etc. Dexa scan, calipers (when used by a trained professional, BodPod, and hydrostatic weighing are the best methods. All of these still have margins of error, but they aren't as large as electrode methods.

As for your rate of muscle gain and fat loss: it's based on genetics. However, it is highly unlikely that you are gaining any significant amount of muscle on a deficit. As a newbie, you may see some gains, but probably not almost a pound. As your newbie gains wear off, you won't gain muscle mass on a deficit.
    neogramps wrote: »
    Those kind of scales are not accurate, so don't waste your money getting more done. Measure your progress in inches and photos.

Change takes time - work hard, eat at a deficit and you will transform yourself.

Thanks for helping me understand how it works!!