Is it true, when we get older it is hard to loss weight ?

Replies

• North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    I find it much easier to lose weight at age 49 than I did at 24 because when I was 24 MFP didn't exist! Yay for the Internet!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    kaitcxlv wrote: »
    Actually, a persons basal metabolic rate (The energy used for your bodies basic functions) decreases 2-4% every ten years after the age of 20. Realistically for people in our age range its negligible, but it will add up eventually.

Umm it really doesn't add up to that much

About 100 cals per decade

Which you can offset with resistance exercise to preserve / build your musculature

It's just another excuse
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    I'm 38 and I lost weight just fine. I have been told I am a unique special snowflake though. People also tell me I'm a douche too though, so.

so is that snow douche or doucheflake?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    The reason you will find it harder is lifestyle

Your activity rate is lower than when you were a teen

Fix that
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Studies are still out on the effects of age on metabolic rate. It is still suggested that there is a decrease in MR with aging, but there are so many other factors to sort through it still is NOT clear if it is age - contributing factors cited are overall decrease in TDEE (sedentary jobs, less active lifestyle, etc), decreased metabolic efficiency from up and down weight dieting, apt to less portion control, etc.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    draznyth wrote: »
    I'm 38 and I lost weight just fine. I have been told I am a unique special snowflake though. People also tell me I'm a douche too though, so.

*makes mental note to add doucheflake to vocabulary*
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    I'm 29. SO OLD, I know. But I lose and gain weight the same as I always have! Take it from someone older and wiser ;)
  • nurumirarashid
    nurumirarashid Posts: 6 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Fix that

Maybe my working environment make me feel like that. "Lifestyle" need to change that , just a matter of time , sometimes i feel like, i really really want a perfect belly. That feeling last for a week only. My bad.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    mo31t0oc1yct.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    No. Never lost more than in my 40s. The key IMO is to get active again, get your body strong again, so you have plenty of lean body mass to work with.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member

I prefer a bowl of douche flakes.

can't lose gains with a breakfast like that
  • nurumirarashid
    nurumirarashid Posts: 6 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

*makes mental note to add doucheflake to vocabulary*

What is doucheflake ? My english is not so good. And also what is 'OP'?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    24 old? You aren't even old enough to qualify for the auto insurance discount and you think you're old?

But no, I don't think being old makes it harder to lose weight. I think people burn fewer calories as they get older and tend to eat the same or more than they did before.

If you want evidence that being old doesn't make it hard to lose weight, visit a nursing home. If anything, old people struggle to gain weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    OP refers to the "original poster" (in this case, you).

doucheflake is just us having a bit of fun...
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Fix that

^ Yep.

I gained weight in my mid 20's. When I was in school I walked to and from every day, around campus in college, ran track and did gymnastics. Then I graduated and got a job in a pasta factory, bought a car, had disposable income for junk food and alcohol, etc.

What kind of dance? Many kinds have so many finicky technique details, it is easy to make mistakes following along from a video. I know, I started ballet at the "ancient" age of 30.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    I started trying to lose weight in my mid to late 20's. I lost some but regained. I was doing unsustainable diets, not tracking calories, thinking I had to exercise for hours, and not getting enough sleep. At 40 years old, I have been more successful losing weight than I ever have been. I don't think age has as much to do with it as just paying attention to CICO and looking at the long term rather than looking for a fast loss. I get more sleep too.
    Occasionally, I have pain following exercise if I overdo it/don't stretch properly. I don't think that is age but just the way things go.
  • hmadrone
    hmadrone Posts: 129 Member
    When I was in my 20s, I could lose weight by cutting desserts for a few weeks. When I was in my 30s, I shifted to portion control. It got a lot harder in my 40s, particularly after I hit menopause. I had to count calories and work my butt off.

I hit the big 5-0 in the best shape in my life, though, and I've been working out since I was 23.

Still having to count calories and work my butt off, and I now have to pamper my knees at the same time.
  • kbaker001
    kbaker001 Posts: 61 Member
    North44 wrote: »
    I find it much easier to lose weight at age 49 than I did at 24 because when I was 24 MFP didn't exist! Yay for the Internet!

+1
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Man I remember when I was 24... My oldest daughter turned 1 that year. That was 10 years ago.

I'm going to go strap on my Depends and wave my cane at kids from my porch.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Before everyone mocks OP for feeling old at 24... And yes, I understand the temptation.

But we were all 24 once. And something that often happens around that age is the transition from being a student to working full time.

This isn't universally true, of course. But that transition to a desk job can be really brutal for some people, weight-wise. You keep eating the way you used to eat (or maybe you're eating more, 'cause you actually have an income now) and yet, you're moving a lot less by sitting at a desk all day. That can lead to weight gain in a lot of cases.

CICO still applies. It's just that the CO part of the equation may have gotten lower, so you need to make up for it. You may need to start adding more deliberate exercise into your day, if this is the case for you. Make an effort to commute in an active way -- walking, biking, public transit -- if possible. Go for walks at lunchtime. Join a gym if you haven't already and add some cardio and strength training to your routine.

Good luck!