What do you guys do when you feel like giving up?

Options
Hey I was just wondering what you do when you feel like giving up and no caring anymore. I have been feeling discouraged lately....not wanting to count calories anymore or go to the gym..

Replies

• mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In the 7 months I've been dieting I haven't felt that way. That is why this time has been different for me. The way I see it is this was something I have to do . I didn't and still don't have a choice if I want this new life... and I REALLY want it.

Start with small goals and small changes and build on those.

Celebrate the smallest victories, and be open about your daily struggles.
  • RawCarrots
    RawCarrots Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I come to read the success stories:wink: that's why I'm browsing tonight. Feel fed up but I know I'll keep going somehow, just wish it didn't require so much planning and effort, wish it was easier

Hopefully somebody will come up with something inspirational and profound for you, I have no miracle answers unfortunately.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    I have been learning that for sure..that it is small changes that lead to big changes and it takes time.....I have been starting CONSITENTLY to exercise for the past 2 years...but didn't start eating healthier until like 2 months ago.....Just gotta be pateint I guess
  • madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I remember the night I hit the fat wall.

New Year's Eve 2012 when I missed 4 hours of the night and ended up not going out until 10pm (instead of 6pm) because everything I tried on looked hideous and I spent a good 2 hours crying on the bed.
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I take a new photo and make a comparison picture to keep me motivated, I had to do one today!

Here is less than 70 days

b31c254b-f8ff-4cdc-8aab-2584fb7d9edb_zps22f433b0.jpg
  • kmchambers64
    kmchambers64 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that I have a choice, I can keep going, keep working at it, or I can go backward. Because giving up will put me back at square one. Think about what you have accomplished, whether you think it is a lot or a little. If you had to do it again from square one, wouldn't that be awful? It would be for me. That's why - despite have house guests, and celebrating a little to liberally my son's graduation, I counted every calorie and did my workouts. You can keep going if you choose to.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I look in my closet. Since I've worked so hard to lose weight, I've dropped a few sizes. My new clothes are all the size I want to stay. I got rid of (most of) the old clothes, so there is very little to fall back on. Some days I really don't feel like logging in my calories, but if I stop doing that, I seem to start gaining again. I would rather log in everything I eat for the rest of my life than gain back that weight.
  • Hotdawgnothotdog
    Hotdawgnothotdog Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Go to Google images and type in motivational weight loss quotes.
    I have a list of people who are close to me and said stuff about my weight that hurt, or things people do that hurt, and I look through it.
    I also look through my previous weigh-ins and see where else I have struggled, if I can make it through that, I can make it through this (whatever this is.)
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just keep going...even if all I do is maintain. At least I am not gaining and, when I am ready, I get serious again. The important thing is to NEVER give up!
  • Britterboo22
    Britterboo22 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Lord knows ive fallen off the wagon many time myself and this time I refuse to sink.
    people all over the world are going through the same struggle and they always come out a better healthier them and that's what I want! plus my kids...
    Today I was doing squats and my three year old was standing behind me pushing my but down everytime id squat LOL
    Plus I think ive rubbed off on my mom a bit, I see her making healthier choices.

I too had to make small goals and celebrate my small victories..
    When I lost my first 7lbs I was disappointed that I hadn't lost more and ALMOST got discouraged but one of my friends who is doing the same thing motivated me and made me realize that every pound counts. now im down 12 (maybe more my weighin is tomorrow) and im so glad that I didn't give up.

When I go to sleep at night I wake up looking forward to tracking what I eat and look forward to my workout.
    I just keep reminding myself that ill have my ups and downs and that I should never give up what I want to achieve because everyday that I set foot on that pavement and bust out 4 miles I know that everyday im a better person than I was before! keep it up this is just a hump and you can overcome this hurdle
  • ReinaJaLaNa
    ReinaJaLaNa Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I remember the night I hit the fat wall.

New Year's Eve 2012 when I missed 4 hours of the night and ended up not going out until 10pm (instead of 6pm) because everything I tried on looked hideous and I spent a good 2 hours crying on the bed.

omg..I fortunately never got to the crying part, but I've definitely spent WAAAY too many hours trying on a billion things and making myself (and sometimes others) extra, extra late due to not being able to properly fit into anything cute... I totally forgot about that and will certainly use it as another source of motivation -- thanks so much for bringing that up!

musicmint, as for your question, like some others have said, coming on here is often a big motivator for me.. Also, looking at "before/after" pictures and videos via Google Images, YouTube, and so on.. Just, seeing what is possible.

Also, PLEASE check out this link -- I think it is one of the best resources of advice when it comes to weight-loss motivation that I've ever seen: http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-get-motivation-to-lose-weight.htm.

And please don't underestimate what's on there until you check it out -- I thought it was gonna be a bunch of hoopla, cliche-type stuff you've heard many times before before clicking on it, but a lot..if not, most..of it was really fresh and helpful. I strongly recommend it for everyone going through this journey.

Good luck! :)
  • jrossmenelli
    Options
    I think getting discouraged happens to most people. I know it does for me. When I am feeling discouraged, I watch motivational exercise videos on youtube or health related documentaries on netflix. Nike has some great motivational videos! This helps pump me up, get me going and not give up. It reminds me why I am doing what I am doing, what I have to gain and how far I have come. This is what I have found works for me. Maybe it will work for you? Good luck, I know its not easy but remember that people on here are great at encouragement!
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I think about how sick I would get as my body ages, and how absolutely afraid I would be to have to fight with Diabetes, or heart disease. I think about how I need to show my son how to stick to a healthy life style for his high cholesterol. I think about how important it is to me to be able to move and run with my grandbabies one day.
  • KatC_88
    KatC_88 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym! It takes time and you will get stuck alot! But as long as you do not give up it will happen! Just THINK POSITIVE!!! Mind over matter! What you eat has a huge roll in loosing weight! And on the days you still just want to cry you have your friends and support system to help you through it! You didn't gain all you weight in a day, so you wont loose it that fast easier! Patience you will succeed! :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Sometimes... I just give up. For a little while. Say to myself, "Ok, fine. If you really don't want to log your food or exercise, then don't. For the rest of this week. But come Monday, we're back on it. Because we want our pants to fit."
  • ksimmons19
    ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    In those hard times, do like Nike and "Just do it." and I always come on the forums and look @ success stories. It really gets my *kitten* going to see other people who have been able to do it and it IS possible.
  • Mag1913
    Mag1913 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think about how awful i felt about myself 33 pounds ago...i look to my friends and family for encouragement. They seem to give that little push I need to keep going. A lifestyle change will have it's ups and downs but the results are incredible :bigsmile:

So when you have the desire to give up, look at how far you have come, how great you feel and know that the feeling will only increase the healthier and stronger you become!!
  • Michellemarg
    Options
    I have lost about 40 pounds. It is tough because my husband and I own a restaurant and there is yummy food around all the time. I have a ritual when I start to feel like I want to just give in - I try on "the dress". It is a size 12 and I LOVE it! I look at it every day. Then I try on a pair of my old pants that I kept as a reminder of where I came from. The dress will fit soon - and look amazing! This almost always works for me - but when it doesn't - I just give myself a break. It is ok to have that ice cream or that cookie - enjoy it! Then get back at it!
  • sparkly86
    sparkly86 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    constructive: I have this cute size 6 mini skirt that i want to wear once i accomplish my goal
    destructive: look at my before pics.
    i think they both kind of help.
  • michael_m1989
    michael_m1989 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have this shirt that is a size M, that is very tight on me. Every time I lose ten pounds or so I put it on to see how it fits a little bit better.
    I am just waiting for the day that it fits. I know it's weird, but it's my motivation to keep going.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!