What do you guys do when you feel like giving up?

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hey I was just wondering what you do when you feel like giving up and no caring anymore. I have been feeling discouraged lately....not wanting to count calories anymore or go to the gym..

I regroup, reassess my goals and priorities, take a big breath, count my blessings that I can still do stuff, and I keep going. I am not a quitter!
  • Camerann306
    Camerann306 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I dang sure don't want to start over- that's my main motivation. I've never been in this good of shape in my entire life. I have come too far with plenty to go for me to stop. I make sure that I plan gym time into my day so it's apart of my daily schedule. It has become more of a habit than anything. I really enjoy going to group classes so it's like I have somewhat of a personal trainer without them directly yelling at me. That and I can get lost in the crowd and feel confident about myself because everyone is in the same boat with me.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    For eating, not so much because I still get my treats and what not.

For exercising, how often are you working out? Are you feeling burnt out? Maybe scale back a day for a couple of weeks. I normally workout 3 days a week (not including getting out for a walk with my toddler on nice days). So, for me, I feel it's less commitment. I tried 4 days and I ended up taking way too long a break because I felt that way, so I don't push it.

Make sure your doing the exercises you enjoy. For me, I say "okl I'll just do my Ripped in 30 dvd and forget the wii zumba." I usually end up doing some wii zumba as well.

Also I look at where I came from. 30+ pounds lost since Janurary, and I have a bridesmaids dress to wear in September. I feel great and I can't believe how strong I'm becoming. I am currently in clothes I was pre-pregnancy, and they fit me better now than before! :)
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I first started my weight loss journey; I found different ways to challenge myself and soon I saw progress, which motivated me further.

Hang in there and your efforts will be rewarded. :smile:

8488541.png
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    i believe that perhaps your goals are not aligned correctly. weight loss is a byproduct of a certain lifestyle....one that conflicts with your current way of living. if you feel like giving up...that's alright. but remember that you are surrendering to the lesser part of your total self. The worst part of what you may become.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I've never felt like giving up, I'm having way too good a time and getting great results. I haven't felt this good in years. If you get discouraged, feel like quitting, maybe you should knock it off for a while, then when you find the weight creeping back on you'll feel more motivated to start over again. Seems like a waste of your former efforts, though. Your life, your choices, nobody else's.
  • cutiepie2628
    cutiepie2628 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    When I began to feel down I usually come on here and look at the success stories. It motivates me to continue on this journey. Hell some days its hard and other days its a walk in the park . I want it so :heart: bad this time and I'm not giving up. You have to become your own cheerleader also. YOU WILL DO THIS!
  • naturallyme36
    naturallyme36 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just think about it---- THIS IS THE ONLY CHANCE YOU GET TO CHOOSE TO LIVE OR DIE!
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You have to address why you are feeling discouraged or these motivators will not work for you!!! What is going on for you right now is the bigger question you need to ask yourself?

My biggest struggle on my journey has been feeling overwhelmed by the (mis)-information out there. Someone dude says don't eat carbs, some chick says eat all the carbs you want but stay away from sugar. So I had to start out slowly making small-lasting changes and remind myself that my goal is to live a healthy lifestyle. When I frame it that way, it is much easier to bear. Just take everything one day at a time.
  • oohashbee
    oohashbee Posts: 21
    Options
    I watch documentaries on nutrition or obesity and get it in my mind the if I DON'T change I will DIE. I dont have a choice, I absolutely can not go back. There is no giving up, it's not even an option.
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I read the success stories section of the boards and "feed" off other successes. Changing things up also seems to help. Do a different exercise or try a new healthy recipe. Thinking back to how miserable I was before starting out also helps. I don't want to go back there.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I check my blood pressure and remind myself how far I've come with my health. I think about how crappy I felt when I had to take medications to control it instead of controlling it with healthy eating...and then I exercise because I know I don't want to do it right now but I will feel so much better when I am done!
  • eversosquidly
    eversosquidly Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done this yo-yo dieting thing since I was a little kid. When I was really young, like..second grade, my kidneys started to fail. So they put me on steroids. And I never lost the weight. Every year I weigh a little bit more. Between 2012 and 2013, I've gained 30lbs. I finally said 'enough is enough' after family pictures. I looked at them and said 'I can't be that person anymore'. Because I don't feel like that person on the inside.

So I thought to myself about what I wanted. And I decided that if I got down to my goal weight, I could get a puppy. I REALLY like animals--a lot more than I like people--so I made that my goal. When I get down to my goal weight (or wherever I'm happy/healthy), then I can get a puppy. I made an incentive list. And for every 10lbs, I get something, a small reward. Then there are the bigger goals, for losing 30lbs, I get an elliptical. And my car is getting detailed!! For each big goal, the rewards are better and better.

But that puppy--he's the best thing on the list. And any time that I want to quit, I go up to the pet store. And I hold a puppy. And I remind myself that I want to lose the weight not just for the puppy, but so that I can finally feel like a whole person. So that I can stop doubting myself. That's what I do when I feel like giving up. I hold a puppy. :)
  • ApocalypticFae
    ApocalypticFae Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Browse pictures of sexy bodies online.... or take a nap.
  • SNOflake888
    SNOflake888 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This is an older topic but i just searched for exactly how i was feeling and this was the first one that came up. I just woke up this morning from a *sort-of* bad day yesterday. I ate very healthy things, just in larger quantities.... and i just feel sluggish and tired this morning. Basically, i just feel like i don't even want to try today. But i'm not going to give up. Not when i have so much to lose. So today i'm just going to take it slow. Focus on one decision at a time. Avoid temptation, and get plenty of sleep tonight. Hopefully things will look much better tomorrow!
  • KellyGettingHealthy
    KellyGettingHealthy Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Crank some Wookiefoot and remind myself that this will enable me to spoil myself rotten in a few months.
  • mjgrin
    mjgrin Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Imagine how different you will be once you hit your goals. If that is not enough, imagine your life. Imagine all the things you want to do and how losing weight will help you go forward.

I often look at fitness quotes on pinterest if that doesn't work. It helps me.
  • upasanaD
    upasanaD Posts: 56
    Options
    When i feel like giving up i always go through motivation quotes. One of my best is -

"Never give up on a dream, just because the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway"

And i again come back to the form :love:
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I haven't really thought about "giving up"! I see it as a lifestyle change. Some days I lapse into old habits, but eating healthier has become so routine now that I just do it, and don't see it as something I am "forcing" myself to do. I feel better, look better, and am wearing more flattering clothes. I wouldn't want to give up on these!

I saw myself in some posts above, trying on outfit after outfit from my closet in the hopes that I could create an illusion of being thinner than I was. Something to hide in. I would end up late, cancel, or be so uncomfortable that I would leave early. I stood behind other people or hid when cameras came out. My social life, my confidence, my attitude and my health have improved so much that giving up is not even something that occurs to me! Just carrying on to health!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!