Difficulty reaching calorie goal

Options
13»

Replies

• SabrinaLiveFit
    SabrinaLiveFit Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    I see mostly lean meats and low fat dairy. Switch to less-lean meat and full-fat dairy and presto: higher cals. This, of course, depends on how keen you are to keep fat low. Also, snack on nuts: almonds, cashews, trail mix. That stuff is dense. Also, peanut butter on *everything*. (ok, maybe not everything. most things.)

I think I'll stick to lower fat. I already hit 80g of fat when I'm being careful of fat, so I think eating full fat will just make me feel worse about it haha. I'm supposed to up my calories every week. So maybe I'll mix it up with full fat and low fat.
  • SabrinaLiveFit
    Options
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Dietary fat contains the most calories per gram. So eat more dietary fat.

The bonus (if you are eating below the minimum recommended amount of dietary fat) will be increased hormonal health and sex drive.

All righty I'll look into that.

Psh, too tired at the end of the day for sex. Ain't got no time for dat hahaha.

You would not be a good girlfriend!! Haha... think of it as your only form of cardio so you can focus on weights in the gym.

I do cardio 6 days a week. So far no complaints from my bf. But when he starts complaining, I'll have to find the energy somewhere haha
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I see mostly lean meats and low fat dairy. Switch to less-lean meat and full-fat dairy and presto: higher cals. This, of course, depends on how keen you are to keep fat low. Also, snack on nuts: almonds, cashews, trail mix. That stuff is dense. Also, peanut butter on *everything*. (ok, maybe not everything. most things.)

I think I'll stick to lower fat. I already hit 80g of fat when I'm being careful of fat, so I think eating full fat will just make me feel worse about it haha. I'm supposed to up my calories every week. So maybe I'll mix it up with full fat and low fat.

Fair enough - I just never worried about fat myself to be honest. Errr. Beans! Beans are pretty high in calories and have no fat. Sorry, I’ve got nothing else :smile:
  • SabrinaLiveFit
    Options

Fair enough - I just never worried about fat myself to be honest. Errr. Beans! Beans are pretty high in calories and have no fat. Sorry, I’ve got nothing else :smile:

No that's fine. I really appreciate your input!
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yeah, at 58g's you're getting 20% of your total calories from fat.. Most suggest anywhere from 20-35%, some go up to 45% of your calories from fat. I would certainly make sure you hit the 58g's but use this as more of a floor rather than a ceiling. 35% would be 101g's, 30% is 87g's... I would shoot for 58-90g's of fat per day, and don't worry if you exceed the 58g's. You'll find a healthy medium eventually. Make sure your protein is around .85-1.1g's per lb of bodyweight and fill in the rest of your cals with carbs! EAT GIRL!!!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You're having a hard time reaching your calorie goal because protein is a good appetite suppressant and your protein intake is set significantly higher than it needs to be especially given that you are presumably in a calorie surplus.

If you were very lean and in a calorie deficit you MIGHT be able to make a case for that high of a protein intake but if calories are in excess (you are attempting to gain weight) then I don't see that as being necessary. Certainly ok if you prefer to eat that way, but right now it's detrimental because it's preventing you from reaching your calorie target.

Drop protein to about 1g/lb BW, increase fats by about 20g and dump the rest into carbohydrate and load up on pasta, grains, cereal, etc and you'll have a much easier time reaching your caloric goals, you'll probably also feel better about your diet and I'd be willing to bet you won't see any difference as far as differences in muscle gain.
  • SabrinaLiveFit
    Options
    Yeah, at 58g's you're getting 20% of your total calories from fat.. Most suggest anywhere from 20-35%, some go up to 45% of your calories from fat. I would certainly make sure you hit the 58g's but use this as more of a floor rather than a ceiling. 35% would be 101g's, 30% is 87g's... I would shoot for 58-90g's of fat per day, and don't worry if you exceed the 58g's. You'll find a healthy medium eventually. Make sure your protein is around .85-1.1g's per lb of bodyweight and fill in the rest of your cals with carbs! EAT GIRL!!!

All righty. Thanks for that. I have written all the suggestions down to remind myself what to do haha
  • SabrinaLiveFit
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    You're having a hard time reaching your calorie goal because protein is a good appetite suppressant and your protein intake is set significantly higher than it needs to be especially given that you are presumably in a calorie surplus.

If you were very lean and in a calorie deficit you MIGHT be able to make a case for that high of a protein intake but if calories are in excess (you are attempting to gain weight) then I don't see that as being necessary. Certainly ok if you prefer to eat that way, but right now it's detrimental because it's preventing you from reaching your calorie target.

Drop protein to about 1g/lb BW, increase fats by about 20g and dump the rest into carbohydrate and load up on pasta, grains, cereal, etc and you'll have a much easier time reaching your caloric goals, you'll probably also feel better about your diet and I'd be willing to bet you won't see any difference as far as differences in muscle gain.

Okay I will keep that in mind. Thank you so much.